IGNORED

Network players that support gappless playback over wifi

My Oppo 103 does, however, it's sometimes choppy. I really wish Apple Tv had digital file pass thru so my DAC could decode Hi Rez, DSD etc but thats not likely soon. For 95% of my music listening, Apple TV is fine (I have my 30,000 + CD tracks ripped at redbook). However, I have a pretty large selection of HI Rez files that I play directly out of computer in my workspace (I have a small home recording studio and process files thru my audio interface and listen thru my Yamaha Studio Monitors (which sound great BTW). Plus, I am thinking of having my hundreds of SACD's ripped. I have a copy of all HI rez files on a HD connected to router.

The Auralic Aries Mini seems to fit the bill perfect. Plus I could install a HD and transfer newly purchased music thru network. I am assuming the Mini supports gapless playback.

The new Oppo205 will be released soon and I could wait for that, however, I'm not certain if gapless playback will be much better.

Just curious about other units that are not too expensive. The Oppo 205 will be pretty pricey, however, I will need a 4k BD player anyway.

If I can find a dedicated server, I could purchase one of the new Yamaha or Sony 4BD players that play all Hi Rez disks (The Yamaha does play DVD-A but just not listed online, however it is listed in manual).

Thought's and suggestion?

Several things to consider with regards network audio file players and gapless support:

- Assume anything that first appeared 3 or more years ago not to support gapless or not very well and don't rely on firmware updates correcting the problem.

- You still need to do your research with the newer devices, as they may not play gaplessly with all the audio file types they support or only support gapless under certain conditions.

- Gapless support with UPnP/DLNA network file streaming has nothing to do with the UPnP/DLNA media server.

- Standard UPnP/DLNA supporting network audio file players are supposed to provide gapless support only if used with a gapless supporting standard UPnP/DLNA control point (eg the excellent BubbleUPnP Android controller app). Worth a read:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/truly-gapless-digital-living-network-alliance-controllers-22398/

- OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) supporting network audio file players (eg Linn DS streamers, Lumin streamers, Auralic streamers, etc) should play gaplessly as they by design always have a copy of the current playlist (ie, no excuses not to know which file is coming next in order to cue it for gapless) and don't rely on the (OpenHome) control point to provide gapless support - unlike standard UPnP/DLNA streamers.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Several things to consider with regards network audio file players and gapless support:

- Assume anything that first appeared 3 or more years ago not to support gapless or not very well and don't rely on firmware updates correcting the problem.

- You still need to do your research with the newer devices, as they may not play gaplessly with all the audio file types they support or only support gapless under certain conditions.

- Gapless support with UPnP/DLNA network file streaming has nothing to do with the UPnP/DLNA media server.

- Standard UPnP/DLNA supporting network audio file players are supposed to provide gapless support only if used with a gapless supporting standard UPnP/DLNA control point (eg the excellent BubbleUPnP Android controller app). Worth a read:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/truly-gapless-digital-living-network-alliance-controllers-22398/

- OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) supporting network audio file players (eg Linn DS streamers, Lumin streamers, Auralic streamers, etc) should play gaplessly as they by design always have a copy of the current playlist (ie, no excuses not to know which file is coming next in order to cue it for gapless) and don't rely on the (OpenHome) control point to provide gapless support - unlike standard UPnP/DLNA streamers.

Great info. Thanks for responding. I'm going to check your links out. The one thing I find with the many Network player reviews, are lack of Gapless demonstration. I hear about how easy the apps, sound quality, etc...rarely anyone try gapless network playback. Leads me to believe that gapless does not perform well. Just consider all the live recordings plus all the progressive and classical recordings. Gapless is a must. Apple TV does gapless flawlessly, however nothing higher than 16/48. I just be happy with 24/96.