IGNORED

Does it make sense to use a USB-to-SPDIF converter and a microRendu to feed a DAC with only SPDIF inputs?

Hello, all. I'm a new joiner and wanted to ask advice on preparing my system for networked audio and Roon. It's a 5.1 channel system with a Krell Foundation processor and Chorus amplifier driving Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v2 LCR speakers and a Servo-15 subwoofer. I just stretched my budget to add the Krells earlier this year. I was about to add a CD transport to feed the DACs in the Foundation for music listening when I began to read about networked alternatives for sourcing. It seems to me that the most promising gear relies on the USB interface, rather than coaxial or optical SPDIF. And my Foundation processor only supports the latter. So... My reason for posting... Does it make sense to add a piece like the Bryston BDP-pi or the Auralic Aries, which are RoonReady and offer SPDIF outputs? Or would something like the Bryston BUC-1 USB-to-SPDIF converter paired with a Sonore microRendu perform better? Has anyone tried the microRendu with a converter of this type? Any other recommendations I should consider?

I have a Foundation as well, which is an awesome device ;-). I use a Wyred4Sound uLink to convert USB to S/PDIF.

My chain, which I think sounds fantastic, is MinimServer -> SoTM SMS-200 -> uLink -> preamp. Your chain, with Roon, would be Roon -> SoTM SMS-200 -> some converter -> preamp.

I think if you could avoid the USB->S/PDIF converter you'd be better off. The tradeoff is there's a lot more choice in devices that output USB and some forms of high resolution music can only be output over USB. If you have no interest in high res music than a Sonos Connect is a good choice.

I haven't heard the Brystons but they seem a bit overpriced. You can get the microRendu or SMS-200 for less than 1/2 of what Bryston costs. Then again, adding a good converter brings you right back to the Bryston prices.

You could always go really cheap for now and get the HifiBerry and see how you like that.

I haven't heard the Brystons but they seem a bit overpriced. You can get the microRendu or SMS-200 for less than 1/2 of what Bryston costs. Then again, adding a good converter brings you right back to the Bryston prices.

You could always go really cheap for now and get the HifiBerry and see how you like that.

The irony being that the "bit overpriced" Bryston BDP-Pi mentioned by the OP contains the older "really cheap" Raspberry Pi 2 computer and the very same HiFiBerry Digi+ board you've linked to - which makes the Raspberry Pi 3 & HiFIBerry Digi+ combo an even better bargain at less than a tenth of the price!

Hopefully, the Bryston's extra 9/10's plus cost is justified by its power supply, extra ancillary boards, case with built-in display plus fancy buttons and any support/warranty 'extras'.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hello, Cebolla. I think you summarized the value proposition of the Bryston BDP-pi pretty well. I understand that there are some very inexpensive parts inside. I'm sure the retail price includes a significant markup, but Bryston is also a luxury brand and I'm not surprised they're staying away from even lower price tiers. For someone disinclined to pursue a DIY hardware/software project, it's not a bad offering. As artur9 mentioned, opting for something like the microRendu or SMS-200 paired with a good USB-to-SPDIF converter puts me up in the price range of the BDP-pi, anyway.

I'm not sold on the BDP-pi, though. I'm actually leaning toward the BUC-1 plus microRendu. I only hesitate because the idea of two devices, plus the extra interconnect, just to move files from the network into the Foundation processor strikes me as overcomplicated. I was glad to hear the Wyred4Sound/SoTM combination worked well for artur9.