IGNORED

usb to TOS optical interface?

Planning to go from Audirvana + on Macbook Air usb out to TOS optical in on amplifier.

Is there a recommended box for this job?

Thanks

Hifi: Qobuz, Roon, Wiim Pro, Mutec MC3+USB, Mutec SF 10 120SE, Grace Designs M903, ADAM Audio A5X  + sub.

Portable: iPhone 13 pro max, Qobuz, Airpod Pro 2, calibrated with Mimi audiogram / apple health 

I'm not the one to get into technical specifics, other can do that, but it is my understanding that optical is not a preferred method in the audio signal chain. At least not in higher end audio, if that's the goal. Is there no other method available with your equipment?

I'm not the one to get into technical specifics, other can do that, but it is my understanding that optical is not a preferred method in the audio signal chain. At least not in higher end audio, if that's the goal. Is there no other method available with your equipment?

No, thats all I have digital wise, one TOS Optical input

Hifi: Qobuz, Roon, Wiim Pro, Mutec MC3+USB, Mutec SF 10 120SE, Grace Designs M903, ADAM Audio A5X  + sub.

Portable: iPhone 13 pro max, Qobuz, Airpod Pro 2, calibrated with Mimi audiogram / apple health 

Mutec MC-1.2 will do the job.

Galvanic isolation on the USB is a bit of must these days, then MC-3+USB. That device will re-clock TOSLINK, so for a lot extra price, it also does a lot more. No problems about 96, it's a common max for Toslink receivers, Mutecs can handle no problems there. No drivers are required for MAC and are recognised by Audio Midi.

@kilroy

Toslink is the forgotten child of digital audio but if treated correctly (perhaps with re-clocking), it does have the big advantage of eliminating leakage currents. Compared with copper coax with leakage current (and ground loops) versus a de-jittered (without going to extremes) optical would it work out better?

I hope to try this after 2016 Christmas and will report on a different thread.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Brilliant, thanks guys.

Of course Mutec, Christian the owner is like the Swiss Army Knife of connectors guy. I know him well from AES trade shows. I will shoot him an email.

Thanks again.

This also look like it can do the job. SOtM dx-USB HD, Digital-zu-Digital-Konverter: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281390987207

But will try Mutec first.

I wonder if I can I transmit the signal over wifi from my mac to present a USB signal to the Mutec USB input? If I can't it means I have to have a Mac (mini or one of my old laptops) running Audirvana + situated near my hifi.

It's also just occurred to me that buying the very cheapest TOS link cable on amazon perhaps wasn't the best plan. I might try another cable before giving up on the Chromecast Audio's 96k optical output.

And I read somewhere that the wifi signal strength (mine is a little weak) and some router settings can cause it to fail.

It's also just occurred to me that buying the very cheapest TOS link cable on amazon perhaps wasn't the best plan. I might try another cable before giving up on the Chromecast Audio's 96k optical output.

Buy your Toslink Cable from:

mycablemart.com

These are the same high-quality Toslink cables that Kimber sells for 10X mycablemart's price!

George