IGNORED

new Weiss DAC?

Companies like Wavelength Audio offer upgrades for their older DAC models.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

"Companies like Wavelength Audio offer upgrades for their older DAC models"

And that can be a great option when possible, but it looks to me like the DAC 202 is an entirely new product: new DAC section, new analog output section, new chassis, new firmware, headphone amp, etc. It would not be possible to physically "upgrade" a Minerva/DAC2 to a DAC 202.

I think the subtle inference here is that somehow Weiss, and in a broader sense the audio industry, is ripping off the consumer somehow. In my experience working in the industry, nothing could be further from the truth. Companies try really hard to offer as much value in products as possible, and most of these companies are operating at very small (or even no) profits.

If one wants to be upset about getting taken advantage of financially, I would suggest directing one's attention elsewhere, like, perhaps, towards our Wall Street, or the drug companies.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

"I think the subtle inference here is that somehow Weiss, and in a broader sense the audio industry, is ripping off the consumer somehow."

Your inference is absurd and uncalled for Barrows. I was just pointing out that some manufacturers have an upgrade path for their products. Nowhere did I say or infer that Weiss is cheating anyone.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

Then what is the relevance of your comment about Wavelength Audio, in a thread concerning the new Weiss DAC?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

"Then what is the relevance of your comment about Wavelength Audio, in a thread concerning the new Weiss DAC?:

Mp asked if Weiss had an upgrade path for their products. I have no idea if they do or don't. I just pointed out that some companies do.

I am not trying to give you or Weiss a hard time. I may even purchase the new Weiss DAC. Please lighten up. Most people here are friendly and not trying to stick it to anyone.

Thanks,

Steve

I didn't just single out Weiss because they are a European company. I'm questioning the value of their product. And what's wrong with raising these questions? I would ask the same of any American company like Berkeley Audio Design, but that's a subject for another thread.

I bought some Reference 3A speakers 15 years ago when Victor Goldstein was the US importer. The guy was great at marketing and all of a sudden a $2,000 pair of speakers costed $5,000. Supposedly because of upgrades which turned out to be mostly false. Shortly after I bought them he started dumping them for under $2000 . Thus the brand had no resale value. When you can buy the same product brand new for half price or less the product suddenly has no value left. So this is a peculiar business to say the least.

I'd say for retail price vs. the apparent relatively small cost to produce some of these products, they should have a very generous upgrade/ trade-up policy. Even if it involves throwing an old board or tossing the whole unit. If for nothing else as an incentive to keep your business. Ayre is doing it. So is Wavelength. Metric Halo products have a very long product life with low cost upgrades. I don't expect it for free but I'm not buying a whole new product from your company every year I don't know about everyone else but I'm not wealthy. Before I lay down my hard earned money I going to question the value of the products and the way the companies do business.

Steve my apologies. I misunderstood your intentions, very sorry. I was responding to the general tone of some posts here that seemed to me to be taking Weiss to task while my impression is that they are working hard to bring interesting cutting edge computer audio products to market.

I did not mean to put any ill will in your direction.

SONORE computer audio

Dunno if there where already pictures posted with the display on. Here is one:

http://spintricity.com/64/6629/jan-2010/ces-2010---venetian-floor-29-wing-200-part-3-continued-20

I hope that link is working, otherwise go here and click your way through the pictures that precede it http://spintricity.com/64/public/Vol2-1 (link originally posted by kana813).

Merging NADAC / Theta Compli --> Spectral DMC-20 --> Spectral DMA-250 --> Avalon Ascendant (with tweeter upgrades)

"Steve my apologies. I misunderstood your intentions, very sorry. I was responding to the general tone of some posts here that seemed to me to be taking Weiss to task while my impression is that they are working hard to bring interesting cutting edge computer audio products to market.

I did not mean to put any ill will in your direction."

No problem Barrows. The new Weiss202 looks very hot!

Thanks,

Steve

Can't give my impressions over my DAC2 cuz I was not at all familiar with the sound of the rest of the system/room at the Venetian. Sounded nice, but no real info other than that. The front LED readout is brightly lit and gives all the sample rate info needed, etc. It almost looked slightly smaller than the DAC2/Minerva.

Has the potential to sound "best", but there are some considerations. For a DAC run direct to power amps, with digital attenuation, to sound great (better than with a pre amp added) the output stage of the DAC has to be quite beefy, with high current drive capability and low output impedance. Additionally, you do not want to be doing too much attenuation digitally, if you do you will lose resolution. Weiss designs their gear to be able to have the output attenuated in rough steps in the analog domain, so one can then use the digital attenuation sparingly (this allows one to match the output of the DAC to the input sensitivity of the amplifier) thus avoiding any significant loss of resolution. Used as Weiss does, digital attenuation in the DAC run direct to the power amp(s) should sound best (at least in terms of neutrality, resolution, and noise).

But... There is one other consideration. If one currently has a preamp in the signal path, that preamp is adding its own "color" to the sound (along with distortion and noise), one might miss that "color" if it was gone from their system, even though the "color" is an artifact not present in the source material. Personally, I would prefer my system to sound "right" without resorting to artificial "color" produced by a component.

SONORE computer audio

• 1 month later...