IGNORED

Tidal vs. JRiver

gradier

I've been searching through the posts on the topic of streaming, but I haven't found anything on whether a streaming service (such as Tidal) actually sounds better than ripped CDs played on JRiver. I could go through the process of trying a free trial for Tidal first and doing my own comparison, but I am wondering what others think before I do this. This is a big issue, for me at least, because I do envision a time when streaming service quality (plus fairly low cost and huge library) will 'take over' from self-owned music collections (meaning that people will be abandoning their music collection and jumping ship for streaming, or running both together). There will always be a reason to buy CDs, of course, if one can assume that CDs will continue to be produced (not a water-tight assumption in itself).

I wouldn't say Tidal sounds better but as good as your CDs on a given piece of software like Jriver, Roon, so on. If you have lots of CDs you should rip and enjoy listening to them. Through my system I find that Tidal can sound as good as my CDs played through Roon or Tidal. For example, I have a several CDs that just aren't up to par for sound quality when they were made. I enjoy the artist but the sound sucks. With Tidal I'm able to find other versions, maybe a greatest hits or a completely different pressing that they used vs. my CD and they sound wonderful. It's kind of nice to have those choices. If I was new to the game then yes, lossless streaming is the way to go. You can easily tell on Tidal when you don't get a good version of a CD. They let you know with a little light indicator, but it's also obvious. All of My Morning Jacket's streaming albums are terrible sounding and are hard to listen too. Everyone's systems will sound different but I've enjoyed streaming with Tidal and using Roon together to complete my music library. FYI, Tidal dose not seamlessly steam through Jriver, they tried working out a deal but it fell through. Good luck

Shawn

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

The light indicator I was talking about is on Roon's software not Tidal's. That may have been confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

I've been searching through the posts on the topic of streaming, but I haven't found anything on whether a streaming service (such as Tidal) actually sounds better than ripped CDs played on JRiver. I could go through the process of trying a free trial for Tidal first and doing my own comparison, but I am wondering what others think before I do this. This is a big issue, for me at least, because I do envision a time when streaming service quality (plus fairly low cost and huge library) will 'take over' from self-owned music collections (meaning that people will be abandoning their music collection and jumping ship for streaming, or running both together). There will always be a reason to buy CDs, of course, if one can assume that CDs will continue to be produced (not a water-tight assumption in itself).

I just did a comparison and in my system Jriver had better SQ, hands down. Tidal sounded good but JRiver better.