IGNORED

Article: The Music In Me: Rick and Ricky

Gilbert, I've enjoyed reading your articles and getting to know your background a little through your writings. Although I have heard of Ricky, I couldn't tell you the difference between any of the Teen Idol pioneers of the day. Just to early of an era for me. I went to Tidal and started to stream the remastered Greatest Hits 2005. It's nice to have some background information on what I'm listening to and learning while I'm listening.

As many CA members have stated before, keep em coming. :)

Shawn

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Gilbert-

Enjoyed that a lot. I'm just old enough to remember the show and Rick.

Thanks to your article, I went back and watched some YouTube of Rick and listened to some songs.

He really was quite a good singer for that genre. Too bad he couldn't have had more success later in life.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Oh yes! Rick Nelson has made and will continue to make a huge influence on my music making and listening choices. I still own the 45 RPM of Garden Party that I bought while in Junior High School. After getting old enough to drive across town to used record shops, I bought up all the Rick and Ricky Nelson albums I could find. I was a crazy kid, as I liked both the older and newer stuff he did. Your article is spot on about him caring about the music he made. He always had a great band and many of the members went on to make contributions to other bands. One of my favorite "Easter Egg" finds of his bandmembers popping up other places is in the band New Riders of the Purple Sage. He joined them providing bass and vocals and appeared on the "Who Are These Guys" album and then "Marin County Line" which he wrote and sang the entire first side of that LP. Marin County Line has to be one of NRPS' most underrated albums of all time. Do yourself a favor and look for it, buy it, stream it, whatever, but I think you'll dig it.

Thank you Gilbert. Your article was very educational as well as entertaining. I became a fan of Ricky Nelson (he will always be Ricky to me) around 1962 Couldn't wait till the end of the show to hear Ricky's song.... The voice and style was his and his alone. Unmistakable. He was rockabilly from day one. Nothing like that voice - so smooth yet filled with emotion... coupled with the raging rocking sound of James Burton's telecaster...Those 2 (IMO) never received the credit they are (were) due. Hello Mary-Lou goodbye heart....Pretty Polynesian baby over the sea I remember the night...For rock n roll fans that have never listened to his music - you are missing something special

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My full post should have read...

Oh yes! Rick Nelson has made and will continue to make a huge influence on my music making and listening choices. I still own the 45 RPM of Garden Party that I bought while in Junior High School. After getting old enough to drive across town to used record shops, I bought up all the Rick and Ricky Nelson albums I could find. I was a crazy kid, as I liked both the older and newer stuff he did. Your article is spot on about him caring about the music he made. He always had a great band and many of the members went on to make contributions to other bands. One of my favorite "Easter Egg" finds of his band members popping up other places is in the band New Riders of the Purple Sage. Stephen Love, formerly of Rick’s band, joined them providing bass and vocals and appeared on the "Who Are These Guys" album and then "Marin County Line" which he wrote and sang the entire first side of that LP. Marin County Line has to be one of NRPS' most underrated albums of all time. Do yourself a favor and look for it, buy it, stream it, whatever, but I think you'll dig it.

Thanks for the article Gilbert, really enjoyed the insight and the memories. I grew up watching The Nelsons and hoping that "this" episode would end with a performance by Ricky as it did every few like you said.

I wouldn't worry about "I wonder if anyone remembers him anymore". I do a mix of music we play poolside every day here at a 55+ resort in Central FL. As the many albums play in song shuffle mode, many folks when they hear some song they almost remember will ask "Sal, who is that"? But I've never had anyone ask me "who is that" when a Ricky tune comes on, everyone of our age recognizes Ricky Nelson immediately when they hear him, humming or singing along to the swing...

YES, great rockabilly is what it is, and damn proud of it. ;)

RIP Rick, you are still missed by all.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Thanks for the article Gilbert, really enjoyed the insight and the memories. I grew up watching The Nelsons and hoping that "this" episode would end with a performance by Ricky as it did every few like you said.

I wouldn't worry about "I wonder if anyone remembers him anymore". I do a mix of music we play poolside every day here at a 55+ resort in Central FL. As the many albums play in song shuffle mode, many folks when they hear some song they almost remember will ask "Sal, who is that"? But I've never had anyone ask me "who is that" when a Ricky tune comes on, everyone of our age recognizes Ricky Nelson immediately when they hear him, humming or singing along to the swing...

YES, great rockabilly is what it is, and damn proud of it. ;)

RIP Rick, you are still missed by all.

I may not do a lot of responding to the comments in these pages, but I always appreciate them. It's so nice to hear someone enjoy what I enjoyed, or to tell me when their experiences matched mine. I"m here to remember and honor, our experiences and I love when you honor those same things and those same people. I like the connection with y'all, and as we're diminishing in numbers, our memories are being lost. These stories are for those memories, and those we wish to share them with. Thanks for your thoughts.