IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES with USB device (Wadia 151) not supported

thomasha

With the latest firmware update (Version 18033R) SONY HAP-Z1ES is supposed to be supporting Media Server functionality.

The Helpguide says that "Some USB digital audio devices may not work for playback." (see http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/hapz1es/v1/en/contents/TP0001220509.html?search=dac )

I've tried to connect HAP-Z1ES via USB with the PowerDac Wadia 151 yet i'm getting "USB device not supported".

Has anyone faced a similar issue and is there any way how to get it working? Seems I'll have to employ a USB to spdif converter ;( Thanks

With the latest firmware update (Version 18033R) SONY HAP-Z1ES is supposed to be supporting Media Server functionality.

The Helpguide says that "Some USB digital audio devices may not work for playback." (see http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/hapz1es/v1/en/contents/TP0001220509.html?search=dac )

I've tried to connect HAP-Z1ES via USB with the PowerDac Wadia 151 yet i'm getting "USB device not supported".

Has anyone faced a similar issue and is there any way how to get it working? Seems I'll have to employ a USB to spdif converter ;( Thanks

Isn't there anyone who'd have experienced a non-supported USB audio device? Is there a cure? :(

I don't see anything in the operating manual for that Sony unit that confirms it will support an external DAC. The USB on the back panel is for connecting an external hard drive or CD drive. You should connect the Sony to the Wadia via analog.

As stated in the OP the ability to connect an external DAC via USB was added to the Sony's functionality via a recent firmware update. While I have read about several users able to now successfully drive an external DAC using the Sony as a music server, it seems that there are some DACs which have compatibility issues. These may be resolved in subsequent updates, but that has not been determined at this point. Ability to support connection of a USB hub was also added, so that you can simultaneously connect an external drive, a CDROM drive for direct ripping, and a (compatible) external USB DAC.

As stated in the OP the ability to connect an external DAC via USB was added to the Sony's functionality via a recent firmware update. While I have read about several users able to now successfully drive an external DAC using the Sony as a music server, it seems that there are some DACs which have compatibility issues. These may be resolved in subsequent updates, but that has not been determined at this point. Ability to support connection of a USB hub was also added, so that you can simultaneously connect an external drive, a CDROM drive for direct ripping, and a (compatible) external USB DAC.

Hi audio.bill,

thanks for a sensible reply which gives me hope if Sony addresses the incompatibility issue.

Sorry for the "nonsensible" reply. I can also see now that the Wadia is digital only:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31721[/ATTACH]

You could try a USB>SPDIF converter or even a powered USB hub.

That's a sensible reply :) ...and so far the only option to get together HAP-Z1ES and Wadia.

Yet, my point was to inquire whether there's a way to get it working without a converter...

^ Sorry, I don't. Amazon has many of them. If you want something today that's easy to return if necessary, you should be able to find one at Staples, Target, Walmart, Best Buy. Again, be sure to get one that has its own power supply; not all do.

I'll see tomorrow as I'm going to try both a USB hub and a USB to SPDIF converter (m2tech hiface).

• 1 month later...

Hello all. As I understand it, McIntosh and Wadia are under the same umbrella. My McIntosh D150 is not recognized by my HAP-Z1ES, either. My guess is that the DACs require a software driver and are not natively recognized under Class 1 USB Audio Mode; Class 2 USB Audio Mode requires drivers. I am planning to use a NUC device to stream music to my D150 via USB and JRiver. I will control headlessly through an iPad. I am sure you know using the USB out on the Sony bypasses the excellent processing contained in the Z1ES.

Will DSD transmitted in the form DoP maintain the sample rate and quality of native DSD over USB?

Will DSD transmitted in the form DoP maintain the sample rate and quality of native DSD over USB?

DSD transmitted via the DoP protocol simply encodes the exact DSD data in PCM frames for transmission. Once the DoP signal is recognized by the receiver it is then unpacked from the PCM format and the result is the exact same DSD data which existed before it was encoded. There is still some debate over whether DoP transmission sounds identical to native DSD, and even though the data is bit for bit identical there could be a difference due to the additional processing required to unpack the DoP data back into DSD. That additional processing results in additional loads on the power supply which can affect the resultant sound quality. YMMV applies.

• 1 month later...
DSD transmitted via the DoP protocol simply encodes the exact DSD data in PCM frames for transmission. Once the DoP signal is recognized by the receiver it is then unpacked from the PCM format and the result is the exact same DSD data which existed before it was encoded. There is still some debate over whether DoP transmission sounds identical to native DSD, and even though the data is bit for bit identical there could be a difference due to the additional processing required to unpack the DoP data back into DSD. That additional processing results in additional loads on the power supply which can affect the resultant sound quality. YMMV applies.

Thanks for the info regarding DSD processing. I've been using HAP-Z1ES with the M2Tech HiFace 2 and it sounds great.

HOWEVER - a new issue arose just a couple of days back with the new firmware version 18120R. It seems that they added support for USB 1.0 as my Wadia 151 finally plays via USB even without conversion from USB>SPDIF, but it plays extremely silent !!! Has anyone experienced it? To get nearly normal level loudness i need to max wadia out. Unbelievable, they managed to fix USB downwards compatibility but completely broke the volume level. It stays the same low level even after conversion from USB>SPDIF so it's definitely the output level of Sony's USB output.

The firmware is supposed to

• Improves playback quality for the USB digital output function.

Is there any way how to downgrade the firmware?

Thanks for the info regarding DSD processing. I've been using HAP-Z1ES with the M2Tech HiFace 2 and it sounds great.

HOWEVER - a new issue arose just a couple of days back with the new firmware version 18120R. It seems that they added support for USB 1.0 as my Wadia 151 finally plays via USB even without conversion from USB>SPDIF, but it plays extremely silent !!! Has anyone experienced it? To get nearly normal level loudness i need to max wadia out. Unbelievable, they managed to fix USB downwards compatibility but completely broke the volume level. It stays the same low level even after conversion from USB>SPDIF so it's definitely the output level of Sony's USB output.

The firmware 18120R is supposed to

The firmware 18120R is supposed to

I use an Auralic Vega external DAC from my HAP via USB and max out the Auralic digital volume by default because that is what Auralic recommends. Perhaps the HAP is working properly? Maybe I'm way off here too.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

I use an Auralic Vega external DAC from my HAP via USB and max out the Auralic digital volume by default because that is what Auralic recommends. Perhaps the HAP is working properly? Maybe I'm way off here too.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

1. So when you max out the Auralic digital volume and play the source as HAP-Z1ES, how deafening is it? Since you cannot control the volume on HAP-Z1ES (works only with some Sony devices, predominantly with TA-Z1ES), then you must be, by now, deaf :(

2. I am basing my question on my experience with the previous firmware where the USB>SPDIF conversion and its volume level were perfect. In Wadia, the volume level was on 40 (out of 79) - spot on for listening. Now with the new firmware i max it out to 79 and it is still barely standard level... so something must have changed.

There must have been a new change applied which affects only some devices and that's what i'm trying to investigate...

Originally, Wadia 151 was not recognized by HAP-Z1ES as a supported device. Therefore i decided to do conversion from HAP's usb output via SPDIF convertor and it worked. The latest firmware, however, introduced a very interesting change - now Wadia IS SUPPORTED (as a usb device!) so i don't need conversion to SPDIF from HAP's output. But BOTH WAYS PLAY LOW VOLUME

My Auralic Vega is connected to a preamp and I control the volume from there.

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers