IGNORED

$10,000/ft Cable burn-in ! Wasted $500 a watt on an amp! Why the war?

Hi John

I find this interesting as well. Can you elaborate on the make/model of your USB analyzer? And regarding errors, are you able to inject errors in your test rig, or are you simply observing them?

Do you see the errors on both sides of the cables, or only on the "B" end? In other words, have you eliminated the possibility that the sending device is generating the errors?

Thanks for this and I'm thinking you should start a dedicated thread.

I have the LeCroy Mercury T2 analyzer, which is the cheapest one I could find that is any good.

Yes I tested at both the computer and DAC end, the computer side always seemed to be generating good data, it was the DAC that was not receiving it properly.

No, I am not injecting any errors, just playing music on the computer and using the analyzer to see what is happening and listening to the output of the DAC.

I'm moving soon so my lab is going to be packed up soon, the result is I won't be able to do any more testing for at least 5 months. So this is about all I'm going to be able to do on this.

I just tried it again with a long cheap cable, and there it is lots of low level clicks with one DAC.

John S.

Hi, John

I found your results most interesting. Did you have any way of ascertaining the impedance of the USB cables you were using? I have found that most cheap cables are all over the place, with regard to impedance, while the better cables from real "tech" suppliers tend to be spot-on at 90 Ohms.

I would love to see your experiment repeated using different lengths of USB cables (like before, 10 ft, 6 ft, and 3 ft) but also include two sets of cables, one set KNOWN to be 90 Ohms, and another set known NOT to be 90 Ohms.

Sorry no way at the moment to test the cable impedance. I would have to build some jigs to implement a TDR for USB cables, not hard to do, but no time right now. After I get my lab setup in the new house it is something I can do.

John S.

Well - not sure if the thread can be brought back on track or not but re: the main issue, that no hostility free discussion can happen, I just found out what the steve hoffmann forum did, apparently back in 2003:

A note about ABX DBT (blind testing) and the SH Forums | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Objective vs. Subjectivist, simply not allowed!

Which kind of lines up with one my initial thoughts - seems to be the only way. Did not know about it, maybe is a good idea for computeraudiophile too!

v

Well - not sure if the thread can be brought back on track or not but re: the main issue, that no hostility free discussion can happen, I just found out what the steve hoffmann forum did, apparently back in 2003:

A note about ABX DBT (blind testing) and the SH Forums | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Objective vs. Subjectivist, simply not allowed!

Which kind of lines up with one my initial thoughts - seems to be the only way. Did not know about it, maybe is a good idea for computeraudiophile too!

v

Hoffman appears to endorse boutique cables himself. This policy is nothing more than a veiled way of telling people that "cable believers" have a sanctuary there. There is no symmetry there regarding cable discussions. Any threads that begin to venture into science are summarily deleted. With all due respect, I think any idea that originates there is precisely the opposite of a "good idea".

Hoffman appears to endorse boutique cables himself. This policy is nothing more than a veiled way of telling people that "cable believers" have a sanctuary there. There is no symmetry there regarding cable discussions. Any threads that begin to venture into science are summarily deleted. With all due respect, I think any idea that originates there is precisely the opposite of a "good idea".

"cable believers" - is there a temple I should know about? I didn't know this was a religion.

Don't listen to anything but the music, let your ears and brain make the decision, not popular or unpopular opinions.

That is my advice, whilst being serious about this topic.

let your ears and brain make the decision, not popular or unpopular opinions. Yes. it is correct...

通过我的 EVA-DL00 上的 Tapatalk发言