IGNORED

John's life changes

Great John.

(The envy lurking at the back of my supportive empathy went into overdrive when I got to the hydro electric bit!)

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

After you get settled in, post a couple of pictures....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

John, I'm glad to hear things are working out! Welcome to the semi-amphibious world of the PNW!

I just moved somewhat unexpectedly out of San Francisco last September after almost 28 years along with my entire extended family, and we're really loving Portland and the PNW in general. Great community, music, art, food, and of course the outdoors.

I know you'll make a great addition to the local audio groups up here as much as you do to the global computer audio community.

Wishing you a smooth transition from here on out!

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

I just stumbled across this thread and it is genuinely warming to read both John being so candid and the responses of his 'fans'. Of which I can claim to be one with my own Rendu streaming away in the UK. These life changes happen for a reason and from my limited outsider view of the HiFi industry it is built and driven from a handful of unique (talented) individuals. John of course, The Schiit guys make me smile with every interview and Bruno Putzey of Class D fame. Im sure there are many more.. just the ones I have been influenced by.

Sounds like the next chapter of your life John is going well.. Best wishes and good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Another milestone: today we signed the closing documents and wired the money into the escrow account. Tomorrow it closes and we get the keys!

We also visited a bunch of utility companies and got all that setup. (the electric rates are insanely low here)

Wednesday the contractor starts work on the stuff we want done, including knocking out a wall between two bedrooms to make a large room that is going to be the "lab". It already has a room that is perfect for the listening room, all it needs is a dedicated circuit.

We can't wait to move in. I'm getting fed up with being under the flight path of an air force base. Them things are LOUD.

This is real now.

John S.

That's great news, John! Let's hope the rest of process goes smoothly!

4 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

(the electric rates are insanely low here)

You don't want to let them know that. ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Another milestone: today we signed the closing documents and wired the money into the escrow account. Tomorrow it closes and we get the keys!

Wednesday the contractor starts work on the stuff we want done, including knocking out a wall between two bedrooms to make a large room that is going to be the "lab". It already has a room that is perfect for the listening room, all it needs is a dedicated circuit.

New place, NEW LAB! Things are looking up :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

19 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

This is real now.

John S.

Congrats on this big step!

Folks - from a purely selfish perspective - a settled John is a productive John, which means the sooner he's all moved in and setup, the sooner the development of the next goodies can progress.

So godspeed from all of us!!

Exciting times @JohnSwenson it's so nice you can share this with people you have never met and never will, yet they all own something you designed and I'll say one thing for this industry - HiFi people are very nice people. I hope this new chapter for you is really wonderful and in three years time you wonder how you ever did what you did before 

Good luck and keep the pics coming

Simon (UK)

6 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

custom built cabinetry, I'm trying to figure out if I can use this for the audio "rack", it looks fantastic and it would be a waste to not use it for the system.

John,

Nice looking woodwork, but it seems far too shallow for most audio equipment, and then there is the problem of wiring behind... Nice dispersion at some frequency through.

Perhaps a fine place for your books, physical media, knickknacks, and what not. I think I'd look for the best place for speakers first, then a place for equipment, and so on.

But then maybe I'm just jealous, shoehorned into a compromised setup in my 1920's living room  :)

P.S. That thread I mentioned in the PM is dead. Don't bother  :(

It's already a transformer chair!!!:P

Hi capacitance, low resistance and minimum insertion loss. 

But it seems to hold a hi charge and suffers from the cow skin effect...

Thanks John ..Now I can add leather chair electronics puns to my list...Looks nice though.:D

13 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I fell in love with this one chair, power rocking recliner in burgandy leather, it is the most incredibly comfortable chair I have ever been in.

OK, but does it measure well?  The guys at Audio Science Review will be all over this.  Their members have extensive experience sitting on their butts.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's