IGNORED

Least Horrible Xmas music

The Waitresses, "Christmas Wrapping": fantastic early '80s camp:

Big Star, "Jesus Christ": A surprisingly earnest recording. I'm not especially religious, or even a Christian, but Alex Chilton's vocal-and-acoustic-guitar demo version is incredibly beautiful and moving:

[video=youtube;N-rsOLVB9Hs]

I just recently discovered this very nice Christmas album (that doesn't take itself fully seriously) by young Swiss singer/songwriter Heidi Happy.

a2960147878_10.jpg

https://heidihappy.bandcamp.com

Merry Christmas with Heidi Happy | Heidi HappyÂ*– Album herunterladen und abspielen

https://listen.tidal.com/album/66003259

I like this CD from Sheffield Lab. Sounds very good for a CD, music can be enjoyed anytime of the year not just at Christmas. I'm playing it right now.

2495_f_a_sheffield_christmas_col.jpg

I like this Hi-res Audio/Video Blu-ray of the Nutcracker ballet. Excellent dancing by the Mariinsky Ballet. Valery Gergiev conducting the Orchestra of the Mariinsky Theatre. It is 24-bit 48kHz in 2-channel stereo and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio.

3212_f_nutcracker.jpg

Merry Xmas everyone.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

It is that time of year again when we listen to horridly wretched music to celebrate the alleged imaginary deity-human hybrid spawn whose emergence forms the Central Dogma of a splinter-cult that succeeded (not Molecular Biology, sorry, and apologies to Sir Francis).

What do you find tolerable?

Prof, your going to He-l, you know that don't you?

In any case.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

You would be alluding to WH's "A Winter's Solstice" series of CDs. They had released 5 or so different "Winter's Solstice" albums, as well as some other 'Christmas-y' stuff that I can't think of now.

Now, solo pianist George Winston's "December" is past 25 years old, and it is still a very relevant and timeless recording. Highly recommended.

Agreed on George Winston's December being a classic, but the Windham Hill Winter Solstice cd's are also as timeless now as they were upon release. I can also strongly recommend the Windham Hill Celtic Christmas series. Great modern variations on Celtic Christmas songs that sometimes go back centuries. I am, in fact, listening to one as I write this. Wonderful music.

JC

Agreed on George Winston's December being a classic, but the Windham Hill Winter Solstice cd's are also as timeless now as they were upon release. I can also strongly recommend the Windham Hill Celtic Christmas series. Great modern variations on Celtic Christmas songs that sometimes go back centuries. I am, in fact, listening to one as I write this. Wonderful music.

JC

Listened to the first A Winter's Solstice a few days ago for the first time in maybe 20 years. Still fantastic.

Listened to the first A Winter's Solstice a few days ago for the first time in maybe 20 years. Still fantastic.

I think that is my favorite of all of them, it's a beautiful, seamless musical experience. Though the others are still very solid, especially Winter Solstice 2. I listen to them every year for a time, at Solstice.

JC

How was that? I get the feeling he's a very intelligent man when he's not slobbering drunk. Am I wrong? I saw him in Boston before he got quite so famous in a very very small venue.

I don't remember him drinking anything. He was very hyperactive, and very weird. He had a HUGE briefcase that he somehow managed to bring on as a carry-on, and had a bunch of newspapers and magazines in it to get material for his spoken-word performances. (You can get some of these on iTunes, fwiw). He definitely kept me entertained, but I got no work done as a consequence. As big a fan as I am, I did not give him my isle seat. He was no better at staying seated than I am. I think if I didn't know who it was, I would have asked to be moved.

I don't remember him drinking anything. He was very hyperactive, and very weird. He had a HUGE briefcase that he somehow managed to bring on as a carry-on, and had a bunch of newspapers and magazines in it to get material for his spoken-word performances. (You can get some of these on iTunes, fwiw). He definitely kept me entertained, but I got no work done as a consequence. As big a fan as I am, I did not give him my isle seat. He was no better at staying seated than I am. I think if I didn't know who it was, I would have asked to be moved.

That's an interesting story. I saw him solo maybe in 82 in Boston. He was hyper but also very drunk, all of us were very drunk- audience of about 30, including a few bar regulars. No stage. He fell down several times and then gave up and just jammered into the mic from the floor while turning himself in circles with one leg. It was very entertaining. Some audience participation, lol. He did get people aware of things in the 80's.

That's an interesting story. I saw him solo maybe in 82 in Boston. He was hyper but also very drunk, all of us were very drunk- audience of about 30, including a few bar regulars. No stage. He fell down several times and then gave up and just jammered into the mic from the floor while turning himself in circles with one leg. It was very entertaining. Some audience participation, lol. He did get people aware of things in the 80's.

See also: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f15-music-general/california-%DCber-alles-punk-equivalent-folk-song-21369/

• 3 weeks later...