IGNORED

Wall Outlets - any difference in SQ??

Ralf11

Since the 70's most outlets are stab connected at the back of the plug when a house is built and this stab connection becomes part of the circuit path for a series of daisy chained outlets. Works but its not a low "noise" means of connection over time as the cheap "pot metal" plug ages, corrodes, I've even had one catch fire from resistance heat due to corrosion. Its worth while to replace all your plugs in your listening room circuit with higher quality plugs, this won't cost you more than $5 per outlet. Do use the side screw clamp terminals on the plug for greater surface conduction contact area and make them tight. The only gotcha is if someone cut the wires too short in the box, then you will have to use stab connection.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Since the 70's most outlets are stab connected at the back of the plug when a house is built and this stab connection becomes part of the circuit path for a series of daisy chained outlets. Works but its not a low "noise" means of connection over time as the cheap "pot metal" plug ages, corrodes, I've even had one catch fire from resistance heat due to corrosion. Its worth while to replace all your plugs in your listening room circuit with higher quality plugs, this won't cost you more than $5 per outlet. Do use the side screw clamp terminals on the plug for greater surface conduction contact area and make them tight. The only gotcha is if someone cut the wires too short in the box, then you will have to use stab connection.

Michael Brinkman Acme Audio 15amp silver-plated 'Cryo-treated' duplex feeds PLC / amp.

I've been a proponent of AC treatment for many years. In fact I purchased this particular duplex in October, 2001. The product under review is a Acme Audio Labs 15 amp/125 volt duplex. AA takes a Pass & Seymour 5252 outlet, silver plates it then sends it to JENA Labs for cryogenic [deep freeze] treatment. The cryo model now lists for $40 but I paid $20 for mine through a Audio Asylum auction. Four years ago when I replaced my Hubbell I was immediately impressed with the upgrade in performance the AA duplex displayed. As it continued to stabilize, and now remains a permanent part of my system, that 1st impression is confirmed. I've made numerous posts and comments about this product on this and other forums.

Eight weeks ago I moved into a new house but only yesterday installed the AA duplex. I wanted to gradually introduce components back into my reference system so I could re-evaluate their contribution. The outlet was one of the very last pieces to my reference system puzzle. I might add that I was very happy with the performance of my system prior to replacing the stock duplex. Still I'd gone through this process twice before and had positive results so my curiosity was getting to me. While the AA duplex sat on the shelf for 8 weeks it's been out of commission for many months as I'd packed up my stereo and not had any products feeding the outlet. AA recommends the duplex be used for 30 days before serious evaluation. And while I was immediately impressed when I 1st installed it I too found it to go through several cycles before it stabilized. Not sure if I'll have to go through that process again or to what [if any] degree. For the time being I'd just take mental notes and be patient.

After swapping outlets I flipped everything back on the main panel and immediately turned on the amp [the front end was already powered up] and grabbed the hand full of discs that I'd been sampling over the last few days. Again, I was immediately struck by the impact of the AA duplex. The bass had much more presence, something I'd been struggling with in my new room. It was more organic - you felt it's effect as much as you heard it. The other thing was a "opening up" of the sound. Notes not only became freer but the sound field expanded dimentionally. The entire front wall was filled with sound as well as further along the side walls toward my listener position. The system imaged so much better, with each instrument more distinct, intertwining in space with one another. Decay was also much improved as it was easier to follow each note slowly ebb into the soundstage. I know my system does this quite well but I can't say I was aware of this effect before putting the AA duplex back in.

Ok, that's the good news but there were a few things that didn't sound right or as good as before. There was a slight hardness to the sound, with a bit of sibilance that wasn't there before. I listened, then listened some more wanting it to "not be there" but there it was. Then I remembered that I forgot to replace the ebony footers under the amp. Could that be the difference? Well, yes it did remove the hardness but in it's place there now was a subtle "golden hue" that while pleasant enough didn't seem right either. In addition to that there was sparkle that was MIA as well as the leading edge of transients were not as sharp. I asked myself "was this also the case before I put the footers back and before I re-installed the new duplex?". I don't know but what I do know is that this was only apparent after I installed the AA unit.

I should mention that I'm making these observations with the Sovtek 2a3's IMS, not my reference EML 45's, which is a superior tube and addresses the specific shortcomings I witnessed. So, am I unknowingly comparing my new system to the old system [w/EML 45's] rather than the two [2] duplexes or is this the result of the new duplex stabilizing? By reducing the noise floor is the new duplex allowing me to hear more clearly the true nature of the 2a3 vs the 45? Not sure at this point. But the 2a3 does have artifacts that the more neutral 45 does not. Still I was pretty pleased with the system using the Sovteks prior to the install of the new duplex. Is this a case of thinking "this sounds pretty good [close to the EMLs]" rather than making an absolute judgement on the system performance and the Sovteks in particular? Perhaps since putting my "analytical hat" back on I'm beginning to feel the effects of audio nervousa.

What I do know is that the system plays a good bit louder with the Acme Audio Labs duplex. The bass has greater impact. Imaging is clearly enhanced and the soundstage is extended in height and width with more of that "wrap around" effect I enjoyed in my loft. Looking back over old posts on the AA duplex I noticed it offered greater high frequency shimmer, vibrancy and extension. So, I'm not sure what's going on now. Certainly the EML 45 has something to do with that, just curious I didn't notice that before with the Sovteks+stock duplex. Dang audio gremlins. Overall I'm very pleased with the jump in performance and will just have to wait and see what [if anything] evolves.

Silverline Sonatina < Moth Audio s45 SET < Shunyata Hydra < PS Audio UO < i-Fi SPDIF iPurifier < Schiit Modi Multibit < Chromecast Audio