IGNORED

Aqua Lascala Optologic

I have started experimenting with output tubes and will report the results.  Firstly, the Telefunkens are not my choice over the original JJs.  They certainly push the treble back in the soundstage and decrease the width.  They do add a nice bit of harmonic intensity, but at cost I find unacceptable.  

Next up, NOS Sylvania Triple Mica.

• 1 month later...
On 5 septembre 2017 at 10:32 PM, Kimo said:

I have started experimenting with output tubes and will report the results.  Firstly, the Telefunkens are not my choice over the original JJs.  They certainly push the treble back in the soundstage and decrease the width.  They do add a nice bit of harmonic intensity, but at cost I find unacceptable.  

Hello Kimo,

What is the original JJs? JJ Electronic? Which?

Is it the best that you tried?

Please, can you show me a link?

Thank you and regards

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, Kimo said:

Hi,

what is the cost that You find unacceptable?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay, but wanted to make sure I had everything sorted out to date, given the subjective nature of this whole business.  Regarding the tubes that I have spent some time with, I would rate them in this order.

1. New Gold Lion: Most balanced overall.  Maybe missing a bit of NOS magic, but nice top to bottom.

2. NOS RCA : Nice tone but a bit soft on top.  Might be a preference for some.  Likely would be my favorite, but for the soft top end.

3. JJs: Not as precise as the others, but a nice big sound.  Cheap and worth a try.

4. Telefunkens: Excellent midrange detail, but just not a favorite of mine due to the slightly recessed treble and mediocre bass.  

May give the Siemens a try.  They are a bit pricier than all of the above, so I have been holding out.  Supposed to be more energetic up top.  Everything  that I have listed so far can be had for under 75.00 a pair with a little looking.  

Here I go adding to my own post and correcting my own errors.  I think that this information is more revealing of tube rolling in the Aqua, however.

1. New Genelax Gold Lion: Most balanced overall.  Missing a bit of NOS magic, but even handed top to bottom.  Some may not care for the fuller tone, however.  Noticeable on male vocals for sure.

2. NOS Sylvania : Nice tone but a bit soft on top.  Might be a preference for some.  Likely would be my favorite, but for the soft top end.  Missing the fuller tone of the Genelax, but flatter through the midrange.

3. JJs: Not as precise as the others, but presents the biggest soundstage.  Most extended on top of all four.  A hint of extra warmth through the midrange as compared with the flatter Telefunkens and Sylvanias.  Not as smooth as the Genelax, nor as full bodied.

4. NOS Telefunkens: Excellent midrange detail and neutrality, with a recessed treble and some extra warmth in the bass.  The treble is extended, but its positioning makes the soundstage sound different than any other tube or solid state device to which I have access.  I find this distracting.

None are perfect, but none are really that bad either.  The NOS tubes have the best midrange neutrality and excellent tonal intensity,  but the top end suffers a in both.  The JJs may possess the fewest obvious flaws.  The Gold Lion is smooth and even handed, but with a fuller tone.  Best possibility would be Telefunken midrange neutrality coupled with JJ top end, Sylvania tonal intensity, and Gold Lion smoothness and bass.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5 décembre 2017 at 4:02 AM, Kimo said:

Here I go adding to my own post and correcting my own errors.  I think that this information is more revealing of tube rolling in the Aqua, however.

1. New Genelax Gold Lion: Most balanced overall.  Missing a bit of NOS magic, but even handed top to bottom.  Some may not care for the fuller tone, however.  Noticeable on male vocals for sure.

2. NOS Sylvania : Nice tone but a bit soft on top.  Might be a preference for some.  Likely would be my favorite, but for the soft top end.  Missing the fuller tone of the Genelax, but flatter through the midrange.

3. JJs: Not as precise as the others, but presents the biggest soundstage.  Most extended on top of all four.  A hint of extra warmth through the midrange as compared with the flatter Telefunkens and Sylvanias.  Not as smooth as the Genelax, nor as full bodied.

4. NOS Telefunkens: Excellent midrange detail and neutrality, with a recessed treble and some extra warmth in the bass.  The treble is extended, but its positioning makes the soundstage sound different than any other tube or solid state device to which I have access.  I find this distracting.

None are perfect, but none are really that bad either.  The NOS tubes have the best midrange neutrality and excellent tonal intensity,  but the top end suffers a in both.  The JJs may possess the fewest obvious flaws.  The Gold Lion is smooth and even handed, but with a fuller tone.  Best possibility would be Telefunken midrange neutrality coupled with JJ top end, Sylvania tonal intensity, and Gold Lion smoothness and bass.

Thanks a lot Kimo!!!

• 1 year later...

I have the Aqua la scala mk2, it came with Siemens tubes I guess.
Have tried brimar nos, mullard nos and jj.
JJ - kinda warm and unfocused, bass lose precision.
Brimar nos - bass gets way more weight and overall quite warm tone, it as a certain "tube magic" that jj lacks, difficult to pin down but jj sounds more "hifi" in a negative sense.
Mullard nos 1962 - more balanced than Brimar, and it has even more of that elusive "tube magic" quality, wonderful.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@barbz

Hello!

My La Scala came with Tele’s- before the manufacturer switched to Genelex. I was looking for something with a fuller presentation so I bought a pair of NOS 12AT7’s from Brent Jesse Recording. The specific tubes I purchased are now sold out but they carry many others and from various makers as well. I would definitely recommend contacting them if you’re interested in NOS tubes, they’re not inexpensive but are definitely worthwhile!

http://www.audiotubes.com/12at7.htm