IGNORED

Aqua Lascala Optologic

Received the upgraded unit today. I have put a few hours on it and am settling down for some more serious listening.

Right out of the box, this thing impressed more than any other digital product that I recall hearing. It is really good. Instruments sound more like the real thing. At the same time, different recordings sound less alike than ever before.

Thanks for this post, the LaScala Optologic is one of the more intriguing new DACs available. I look forward to your further thoughts as your time with it grows. Enjoy it in the best of health!

Thanks, Bill.

I believe that Aqua put some burn in time on the unit prior to shipment, but it is my understanding that additional hours should yield benefits. Personally, I am always a bit skeptical with regards to "burn in" for anything but speakers and cartridges, but I do have a few mores hours on it, and can offer a little more insight.

This is a DAC that operates from the bottom up. The bass is fantastic. Full, but detailed. The midrange is very clean but also rich. Instrument separation is fantastic. Soundstage is deep. There simply is no blur, or edge, which takes a little getting used to.

The thing sounds more analog than my turntable running an Ortofon Bronze cartridge. It reminds me of listening to reel to reel tape. I hate the sound of violins in general, but actually sort of enjoy listening to them on this DAC.

Listening to a DAC dig this deep into a recording, while still offering so much life like tone, really is a wonderful thing.

I was a little surprised by the difference. I am going from comparison with other digital components that I have on hand and a few notes.

The upgrade really brings the DAC to a different place. The foundation and the tonal density is amazing, but detail has also improved. Vocal inflections can't be missed and vocals are even clearer.

I am running it balanced. Output is down, but quality is way up. Workmanship is lovely, as well.

Thanks, Kimo, for your thoughts. The La Scala seems to fly under the radar but has been very well regarded by those who have heard it, including reviewers.

Have you heard from Aqua as to how the implementation of the Optologic R2R in the La Scala differs from that in the Formula. The 6moons preview gives some hints but not quite enough detail.

I am wondering if you have heard other DACs like the Chord DAVE, TotalDac or the Ayre Qx-5 Twenty?

Thanks, Kimo, for your thoughts. The La Scala seems to fly under the radar but has been very well regarded by those who have heard it, including reviewers.

Have you heard from Aqua as to how the implementation of the Optologic R2R in the La Scala differs from that in the Formula. The 6moons preview gives some hints but not quite enough detail.

I am wondering if you have heard other DACs like the Chord DAVE, TotalDac or the Ayre Qx-5 Twenty?

I believe that performance upgrade can be attributed in part to the careful installation of quality parts, and perhaps better grounding. The noise floor seems to have dropped, as compared to what I recall hearing from the original.

I have heard none of the three DACs that you mentioned. The last high end DAC that I personally owned was the Gill Audio, also a tube model. It was a very nice piece, which reminded me more of the original LaScala than this upgraded version.

I'm a lucky owner of the Formula and I had la Scala (MK2 but not optologic) for a couple of years and the gap is big. Formula is more resolving, with an incredible dynamic and air: if you have the chance, try it. But I had a small problem to fix in the usb card (in the xmos firmware) and Aqua very kindly send me the new La scala during the that time.

My opinion is that La scala upgraded is closer to the Formula than to the older La Scala. A very big jump for half the price of the Formula (they put in mine the NOS Telefunken tubes, I don't know if now it's the standard).

I had the pleasure of spending a few hours with the Aqua Formula yesterday

The performance IMHO was extremely impressive. Detail, timbre, tonal density were all superb.

This unit competes with the best PCM and DSD DAC's out there.

Not inexpensive, but at it's very high performance level, it is delivering good value IMO

Needless to say, the Formula really sings when being fed a diet of 24/352 and 384 by HQ Player

Did not test the DSD64 input, but HQ Player converting Gus Skinas DSD 64 remaster of Hugh Masekele Coal Train to DXD was stunningly good

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

I have not auditioned the ones you mentioned but did hear several others. I would be interested in hearing the TotalDac and the Lampizator Big 7 , their owners seem happy as well.

My thoughts from that time:

AQUA LA Scala at Mini CAF March 5th in Rockville, MD [Archive] - AudioShark Forums

Thanks, BJP691. I was able to get a good grasp of what you experienced with the various DACs.

Like you, I expected much from the Devialet 400 and PS Audio but was struggling with what I heard.

I'm a lucky owner of the Formula and I had la Scala (MK2 but not optologic) for a couple of years and the gap is big. Formula is more resolving, with an incredible dynamic and air: if you have the chance, try it. But I had a small problem to fix in the usb card (in the xmos firmware) and Aqua very kindly send me the new La scala during the that time.

My opinion is that La scala upgraded is closer to the Formula than to the older La Scala. A very big jump for half the price of the Formula (they put in mine the NOS Telefunken tubes, I don't know if now it's the standard).

Thanks, newton. Good to hear from an actual owner. What else did you listen to before making the move from the La Scala II to the Formula?

Could the fact that the Formula uses a SS output stage instead of the tube/MOSFet in the La Scala account for the difference in the sound? The Formula, of course, has a better implementation (and apparently better quality resistors) of the R2R ladder compared to the La Scala II (Optologic).

Not sure if the Telefunken NOS ECC81 are now standard but they are not too expensive at Eur84 per matched pair - http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/de/shop_Sonstige_Markenroehren_Vorstufenroehren_Doppeltrioden/ECC81_Telefunken_RFT_NOS_4493

Thanks, newton. Good to hear from an actual owner. What else did you listen to before making the move from the La Scala II to the Formula?

Could the fact that the Formula uses a SS output stage instead of the tube/MOSFet in the La Scala account for the difference in the sound? The Formula, of course, has a better implementation (and apparently better quality resistors) of the R2R ladder compared to the La Scala II (Optologic).

Not sure if the Telefunken NOS ECC81 are now standard but they are not too expensive at Eur84 per matched pair - ECC81 Telefunken / RFT (NOS) - Vorstufenröhren: Doppeltrioden Tube

Telefunken tubes have the reputation of being very clean and precise, but dead. I would implore you guys to try some Pope Holland, Philips delta code, Amperex Bugleboy, Mazda, NEC or few other vintage makes. These low gain ECC81 tubes are super.

Not sure if the Telefunken NOS ECC81 are now standard but they are not too expensive at Eur84 per matched pair - www.tubeampdoctor.com/de/shop_Sonstige_Markenroehren_Vorstufenroehren_Doppeltrioden/ECC81_Telefunken_RFT_NOS_4493

Well, IMHO the two dacs are different in the character, Formula is more dynamic (probably for the ss output, but i'm not an expert of this stuff), La Scala is more analog sounding (probably for the hybrid output). The new release is big step ahead: honestly the ratio price/performance is probably in favor of La Scala and it's a matter of personal preferences and kind of setup. Listening to La Scala you have may think there is a 50k turntable hidden in the room...beautiful voices. the Formula is a little bit more transparent and faster. It's like a Bentley vs a Ferrari, I'm curious to read the opinion of Six Moons.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, IMHO the two dacs are different in the character, Formula is more dynamic (probably for the ss output, but i'm not an expert of this stuff), La Scala is more analog sounding (probably for the hybrid output). The new release is big step ahead: honestly the ratio price/performance is probably in favor of La Scala and it's a matter of personal preferences and kind of setup. Listening to La Scala you have may think there is a 50k turntable hidden in the room...beautiful voices. the Formula is a little bit more transparent and faster. It's like a Bentley vs a Ferrari, I'm curious to read the opinion of Six Moons.

The Six Moons review is up and pretty much echos what everyone else has been saying regarding the La Scala. I am finding that the presentation has smoothed out a bit, now that I have more burn in time on it, but that the basic character remains the same.

It really is a lovely musical piece of gear, and somewhat unique in its presentation. It does remind one of a good turntable set up, with a bit more lower body heft thrown in for good measure.

I am also extremely please with my La Scala Opto. Major upgrade from my QB-9 DSD.

I use HQP + mRendu with LPS-1. Sound is simply stunning, lifelike and very realistic.

I am curious to hear about other users experience with HQP settings.

I have so far tried no oversampling, oversampling to 192K and 352K more as a proof of concept than anything.

I have not done critical listening comparing. I used poly-sinc-shrt and NS9.

Hope to hear from you!

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

My distributor here in Canada upgraded my firmware over the weekend.

No info was provided. Does anyone know what the upgrade was for?

Thanks

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

Hi,

I am curious about the behaviour of my unit.

- When I turn it on, after about 10 secs I clearly hear a "pop" in the right channel. Normal?

- Also, with nothing playing, the pink noise is a bit lauder in the right channel. Tried to inverse L/R at the DAC and the sound went to the left channel. I'm sure it's the DAC.

- With no music playing, always in the right channel I often hear a faint noise that sounds like is you were tearing out sheet of paper slowly... or if all of a sudden the wind was blowing stronger.... Sorry for the weird description....

- I tried switching the tubes. No change.

Am I the only one? And yes, I took my meds....

Thanks!

Hi,

- When I turn it on, after about 10 secs I clearly hear a "pop" in the right channel. Normal?

- Also, with nothing playing, the pink noise is a bit lauder in the right channel. Tried to inverse L/R at the DAC and the sound went to the left channel. I'm sure it's the DAC.

- With no music playing, always in the right channel I often hear a faint noise that sounds like is you were tearing out sheet of paper slowly... or if all of a sudden the wind was blowing stronger.... Sorry for the weird description....

Thanks!

I hear the same occasional pop in the right channel, but I don't hear that the pink noise is any louder.

Are you using the balanced or single ended outputs? Perhaps, the transformer is adding some noise?

I use RCA - That was also a question I forgot to mention.... RCA or XLR?

I hear the same occasional pop in the right channel, but I don't hear that the pink noise is any louder.

Are you using the balanced or single ended outputs? Perhaps, the transformer is adding some noise?

I use RCA - That was also a question I forgot to mention.... RCA or XLR?

I use RCA. Previously, I used the balanced outputs. The revised DAC is now a single ended design, as opposed to fully balanced in its previous life. Single ended is now the cleaner option.

Hi,

Thanks!

Try to switch the tubes and see if the pop and noise goes from one channel to the other. If yes you simply have a microphonic tube, the noise you describe is typical.

Mac Book Pro 8Go RAM- 256 Go SSD (El Capitan - Pure Music + Audirvana + Dirac room corection) - Berkeley alpha USB - Dacs : Ayon CD5 + Shiit Yggdrasil - Isomax PC2XR - Preamp : Supratek Cortese - Power amps: Cary CAD 211 AE + Esoteric A03 - Integrated amp : Pathos Ethos - Speakers : Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage

I did switch them. Funny part is the problem(s) did not move channel - it seems all is fine now.

Probably one or both were not fully seated. Will keep monitoring the situation and report back.

Are there ways to fix a microphonic tube? Rings?

Also, I suppose you turn it off when not in use?