IGNORED

DAC question from a new guy

Hi, first timer here. I'm sure that this question has been asked and answered a bunch of times, but after searching for it, I found to more information than I could follow.

I have a Marantz 7005 Receiver, seven JBL E100s and two 12in. subs. I use a computer over HDMI to store and play my music, and music is the primary reason for the system.

My question is, will I get a better sound if I put a DAC or something else between the computer and the Amp? OR Is there anything that I'm doing wrong with my set-up?

Thanks in advance and great website,

simrek

Welcome, Simrek

I have a Marantz 7007 and when I compared it to my Peachtree Dacit at the time, the receiver had lots of low end (bass) but less clarity in the middle and upper frequencies. I did like the low end. I was able to get the low end that I liked from the Peachtree with minor adjustments with Jrivers eq.

When I switched to a higher end Dac, the Marantz couldn't come close when listening to 2 channel music.

If you can get any Dac on loan from someone, this is great way to start. Even a Dragonfly will give you an idea of what you might be looking for. Maybe the Marantz is all you need.

Ironically, the Marantz sounds wonderful when listening to Blu-rays or any cable load digital sound signals. I've asked myself why does this movie version sound so much better then my high res version of a certain song.

I'm sure more members will chime in. Good luck, Shawn:)

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Hi Shawn, I've found that 7 channel stereo sounds the best for my configuration. So, from your experience with the Marantz, did the DAC help? Are you using a computer or a player of some kind as an input? Also, I've been hearing that a USB output from a computer has less jitter than an HDMI output. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Shawn, I've found that 7 channel stereo sounds the best for my configuration. So, from your experience with the Marantz, did the DAC help? Are you using a computer or a player of some kind as an input? Also, I've been hearing that a USB output from a computer has less jitter than an HDMI output. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

I listen primarily to music in Mch. My source media are in a very large library of rips, primarily SACD, on a PC using JRiver. I upgraded from an Integra 80.2 prepro to an Exasound e28 DAC several years ago. The prepro had been HDMI connected and the e28 is USB(asynch) connected.

I thought the sonic improvement was quite obvious. It sounded good going to the prepro, until I heard what the DAC could do, although I still would not call the difference day/night.

Yes, asynch USB has essentially zero jitter, while HDMI in most consumer equipment has moderate to high jitter. I do think that difference is audible, but I also think there was a lot more than that involved in the improvement I got from the e28.

I'm looking at a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, any comments?

Can it output multichannel audio, or just two channel stereo? If the latter, can you explain what you mean by "7 channel stereo"? Regular stereo through 7 speakers, or something else?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks,

Paul

I use a computer via USB to Dac. I never tried the HDMI route. Everything I own or stream is for 2 channel. If your able to get the DacMagic then you can compare the 2 channel setup vs. HDMI. If your buying used, that's the way to go. Almost all Dacs have advanced in technology since the release of the DacMagic or Peachtree's Dacit. There still great starter Dacs and for the most part is all you need. Don't pay too much.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Hi, first timer here. I'm sure that this question has been asked and answered a bunch of times, but after searching for it, I found to more information than I could follow.

I have a Marantz 7005 Receiver, seven JBL E100s and two 12in. subs. I use a computer over HDMI to store and play my music, and music is the primary reason for the system.

My question is, will I get a better sound if I put a DAC or something else between the computer and the Amp? OR Is there anything that I'm doing wrong with my set-up?

Thanks in advance and great website,

simrek

Couple of comments:

I have a Marantz 6008 set up in 5.1. I also happened to have three Adcom 535ii power amps. I got a massive quality improvement in the sound by taking the pre out of the Marantz into these power amps rather than using the built in amps in the Marantz. And this was to a set of Orb speakers, nothing majorly hard to drive.

In terms of DACs, you're looking at two different beasts here. Getting surround sound, or 7.1 simulated stereo from a high(er) end DAC is not totally trivial and in my opinion not justified for a 7008 price point system. If you want to get better stereo decoding, to just two speakers, then yes a DAC in the, say, $500-$1000 range would perform better, I would say.

Honestly, what I would do before I bother with the DAC is to go to ebay and get power amps to bolster the output stage of your setup. The 535ii can be had for something like $200 or so (per unit). You might be able to find a multichannel power amp for a reasonable cost.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Couple of comments:

I have a Marantz 6008 set up in 5.1. I also happened to have three Adcom 535ii power amps. I got a massive quality improvement in the sound by taking the pre out of the Marantz into these power amps rather than using the built in amps in the Marantz. And this was to a set of Orb speakers, nothing majorly hard to drive.

In terms of DACs, you're looking at two different beasts here. Getting surround sound, or 7.1 simulated stereo from a high(er) end DAC is not totally trivial and in my opinion not justified for a 7008 price point system. If you want to get better stereo decoding, to just two speakers, then yes a DAC in the, say, $500-$1000 range would perform better, I would say.

Honestly, what I would do before I bother with the DAC is to go to ebay and get power amps to bolster the output stage of your setup. The 535ii can be had for something like $200 or so (per unit). You might be able to find a multichannel power amp for a reasonable cost.

Example: Adcom GFA-7700 5 Channel Power Amplifier | eBay

You can run the last two channels (presumably deep back or height) off of the Marantz. Calibration will take care of the gain difference.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Jud, I know it sounds impossible but I can definitely hear at least the two back channels that are different from the front channels on 7 channel stereo. So I think that the computer inside the Marantz is breaking up the recordings into separate channels. It seams to work better on the older recordings that are not done using track over track. Even some 5.1 or 4 SACDs has more channel separation with 7- C stereo than direct input. On "Riders on the Storm" (CD), the thunder comes out the back channels only.

I don't need a DAC to output multi, stereo is fine. I use a PS3 for SACDs and music DVDs.

Can it output multichannel audio, or just two channel stereo? If the latter, can you explain what you mean by "7 channel stereo"? Regular stereo through 7 speakers, or something else?

2 channel downmixed to 7 channel stereo, or stereo played in party mode stereo using all speakers. Have the same thing available on my Yamaha Aventage AVR, in "9 channel stereo."IMG_0228.JPG. The Yamaha does a good job as a prepro. 9 channel stereo is what I normally listen to.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

• 4 weeks later...
I'm looking at a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, any comments?

I have an older version - it sounds fine and equals the DAC in the Oppo 103 player (based on rel. non-formal listening tests).

The manf. did tell me the USB on mine was not as good as the optical.

The above comment re audition is spot on - be sure it can be returned if not better.