IGNORED

Mac Mini PSU upgrade - Uptone Audio vs Teradac

carsten s chr

Hi!...[emoji6]

Situation is, that I've just "upgraded" to an Mac Mini 2012 Quad Core - replacing a MacBook 2009!

Both of the above mentioned upgraded with SSD and max RAM!

Surprisingly, the MacBook delievers the best sound Quality???

But - I'm quite confident, that adding a dedicated Linear Power Supply to the Mac Mini, will elevate the sound quality above the MacBook - I believe so!

In my search for external Linear Power Supplys for the Mac Mini, I've come across Uptone Audio and Teradac - which delivers a full sollution - Linear Power Supply and a filter module replacing the internal Switch Mode Power Supply of the Mac Mini!

I'm quite sure, that the sollution from Uptone Audio, will add a very noticeable amount of sound quality - at a conciderable price point!

Knowing the sollution from Teradac is a lot cheaper - then, how close will it be in sound quality???

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Best Regards

Carsten S Christensen

I have a 2009 Mini that used external power supply (brick) and responded to a linear supply. Personally I would not touch the internal switching supply in my 2011 Mini.

It is a lot of surgery and the chance of bricking the computer is enough to prevent this from being a priority. Benchmark feels a good switching supply is better than a linear. It works for them.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

FWIW, I have a 2012 Mac Mini that I put the Uptone PS mod into, but did not purchase their PS. It really is not too difficult to perform the mod, as they provide all of the tools and a step by step guide. I thought it readily beat my 2009 Mini using the same power supply.

Panelhead: I already know that HiFi-nuts, like muself, may do near stupid actions, to possible gain a bit more sound quality?!?...[emoji51]. Wise or not - if done enough times, maybe one will reach the sound of nirvana?...[emoji6]

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I know my 2011 Mini with stock power supply offers better playback than the 2009 Mini does with a linear supply.

I want a newer one with faster buss speed. I understand it is not easy to install more RAM. But RAM is cheap. So are SSD's.

The 2009 suffered a motherboard failure after about 18 months of use. I think the linear supply may have contributed. Someone who knows the units told me that the power demands may have caused an oscillation and fried the motherboard controller.

It is now my daughters desktop. It has run fine for over five years with the stock power brick. If used for music it it iTunes with lossey compressed files..

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Mac Mini 2012 Quad Core ... Uptone Audio and Teradac ... at a conciderable price point!

Carsten,

Another option for your consideration :)

12 volt, 4.2 amp , $95-125 from various sellers on eBay. "Finished 65VA Ultra Low Noise Linear Power Supply", eBay search

More here: Powering a Regen cascade - one possibility (a 65VA eBay LPSU), including the 12V dilemma - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

I am currently using one on a 2012 I5 Mini (measuring current draw now, BLOG write up soon...). And don't forget the Uptone MMK !

The voltage requirement for a computer is 18 - 19 volts DC

Carsten,

I will be surprised if you find anyone who has purchased both teradac and the JS2. You may be lucky but I expect you will find most people, myself included, looked at the options and purchased what they thought would be best for them. In my case I went for the Uptone Audio JS2 with their internal MMK board.

I don't know if it is better than the terradac option but I have no desire to buy a terradac supply and change the MMK board over to the terradac board just to find out.

After following Alex and Johns forums posts and reading a little about Johns background I was comfortable with my choice. I have also found Alex (Superdad) very good to deal with.

For me, when there is little or no information on comparisons it all comes down to what you are comfortable with in the long term. If I purchased the teradac it is likely I would keep wondering if the JS2 would sound better. Others would be unhappy about the extra cost of the JS2 option and be more than happy with the Teradac option. (I have the same issue with the price of many cables).

Sorry I can't help with a direct comparison but hope you purchase what you are happy with long term.

The only other information I can give you is on my earlier 2009 Mac mini which has the external power supply and is easy to swap back and forth the difference between the stock power supply and a good Paul Hynes analogue power supply was ignificant to my ears in my system.

All the best with your choice

Mark

The voltage requirement for a computer is 18 - 19 volts DC

I believe you will find the earlier 2009 Mac Minis with the external power supply require 18.5v. However the 2012 Mac mini Carsten is asking about has the internal power supply which is 12v.

Regards

Mark

Thanks for all your thoughts - and help!... :-)

All though, the "Teradac internal power filter module - three stages L-C-L-C-L-C filtering" has landed, I've just ordered the Uptone Audio MMK - my brain has decided, that this has to be the optimal sollution!... :-)

Next: Power Supply???

As is I really don't think, that the Teradac has what it takes, to meet my wishes to sound quality!...

For now, my list is as follows:

1. Uptone Audio JS-2

2. Qualia physic

Concidering optimal sound quality, Paul Hynes should have been on the list, too - but, I'm really not confident doing so - been there, done that???...

What do you say - have I missed some?...

Best Regards

Carsten S Christensen