IGNORED

Ethernet VS USB resolution limits?

I've noticed that many DACs that offer both USB and Ethernet connections limit the Ethernet connection to resolutions below what the unit will do with USB. For example, PCM above 192K and higher rate DSD files aren't supported if they come in via Ethernet but are via USB. Does anyone know why this is? Ethernet is more than fast enough to feed these larger files, what am I missing?

As another example, look at the brand new Bricasti M12 specs on their website.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I'm guessing it's more about processing the files. With USB, the files are processed externally by a separate computer. DACs that include Ethernet do the processing internally, and those with a less powerful processor may have to impose limits.

It could also be just due to code limitations such that only a minimum feature set is included at first, with the plan to eventually scale it out.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256