IGNORED

NAS advice - looking for the best one and Roon server capable

MarkS

Hi,

I am hoping experts on this website can help me again as they have numerous times in the past. Can someone advise me of the best NAS for music?

I am presently using a Synology two bay that was sort of starter, and I would like to get something with 4 bays and compatible with large hard drives, but, most importantly, I would like this NAS to be Roon sever capable. I am happy to juice the ram on the NAS to accomplish this and would buy the one with the fastest processor.

I am not too tech savvy, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Happy holidays to all!!

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Thanks for your quick and informative reply. I appreciate it. I had looked at that website. Was hoping folks actually running a system might have some hands on views, but the Roon suggestions are also super helpful.

It doesn't look like any of the super NAS drives can run with an external linear power supply, which is a bummer. I should have noted my desire for an external PSU in my posting. The top end NAS drives seems to have built in power supplies, and these are anecdotally very noise inducing.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Thanks for your quick and informative reply. I appreciate it. I had looked at that website. Was hoping folks actually running a system might have some hands on views, but the Roon suggestions are also super helpful.

It doesn't look like any of the super NAS drives can run with an external linear power supply, which is a bummer. I should have noted my desire for an external PSU in my posting. The top end NAS drives seems to have built in power supplies, and these are anecdotally very noise inducing.

Hi,

A bit left field but have you considered Antipodes server. Runs Roon core, built for audio, will connect to your network.

Not left field at all. Will investigate. I only know of Synology and QNAP as the brands regularly mentioned.

- Mark

I think I am down to the Synology 916+ and the QNAP TS-451+. I think I can run the QNAP on a linear PSU, but I am not certain about the Synology model. (I admit that an external PSU might not matter at all and that I have a potentially unjustified hang up on clean power from living in a New York City apartment). Both NAS drives seems capable of running Roon.

Thanks all for suggestions.

- Mark

Well, here is a problem for the experts. I ended up buying the QNAP TVS-671. It was reasonably easy to set up and even to install Roon on.

My MAJOR problem is that I cannot copy my music from my old NAS to the new NAS. When I copy, I get an error that seems like it is coming from my iMac that says "The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)"

What is especially odd is that the files started to copy, but crapped out. The folders in my music folder are sorted by artist. So "Adele" copied from the old NAS to the new NAS with no problem. The new NAS took the "Adele" folder and the subfolder called "25" and all 11 files in the "25" subfolder that are in .flac format in that subfolder (all of the tracks from the Adele 25 album).

I am able to copy podcasts from the old nas to the new nas with no problem. I also tested word files and they copy. I am also able to copy music files from my iTunes Music library. (I keep High Res music files in a separate folder). I am even able to copy the files that do not copy on a batch basis individually. For example, I cannot copy the folder "Aerosmith" and subfolder "Greastest Hits" without running into the weird error, but I can copy the individual .flac files one by one from the old nas to the new nas.

This is incredibly frustrating because it seems that some files go over and others do not with no real apparent difference between them. Apple is no help so far.

I am hopeful that someone here might have familiarity with this issue or a suggestion.

- Mark

Well, here is a problem for the experts. I ended up buying the QNAP TVS-671. It was reasonably easy to set up and even to install Roon on.

My MAJOR problem is that I cannot copy my music from my old NAS to the new NAS. When I copy, I get an error that seems like it is coming from my iMac that says "The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)"

What is especially odd is that the files started to copy, but crapped out. The folders in my music folder are sorted by artist. So "Adele" copied from the old NAS to the new NAS with no problem. The new NAS took the "Adele" folder and the subfolder called "25" and all 11 files in the "25" subfolder that are in .flac format in that subfolder (all of the tracks from the Adele 25 album).

I am able to copy podcasts from the old nas to the new nas with no problem. I also tested word files and they copy. I am also able to copy music files from my iTunes Music library. (I keep High Res music files in a separate folder). I am even able to copy the files that do not copy on a batch basis individually. For example, I cannot copy the folder "Aerosmith" and subfolder "Greastest Hits" without running into the weird error, but I can copy the individual .flac files one by one from the old nas to the new nas.

This is incredibly frustrating because it seems that some files go over and others do not with no real apparent difference between them. Apple is no help so far.

I am hopeful that someone here might have familiarity with this issue or a suggestion.

I would strongly recommend a direct NAS-to-NAS copy using something like rsync which is on both of those NAS. This will avoid the possibility of bad copies which can sometime happen when the copy goes from NAS-PC/Mac-NAS. It will be both faster and more reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Thanks. I will look into that.

- Mark