IGNORED

Soundirok iOS app

Mike Rubin

9 hours ago, tubegem said:

Looks great, but I can't seem to repeat it. 

I have an sMS-200, with an attached WD drive powered by it's own walwart power supply. I copied my entire iTunes library to the WD.

The music plays fine and even the Journal option displays all the additional information, but I get ZERO art work.  

I have tried changing the Collection URL to duplicate the iTunes, the Cover Filename to 'album artwork.jpg' to duplicate the iTunes name, but to no avail.  

I did contact Daniel and he responded right away. As per his suggestion, I did delete the Cover Script URL, but still no go. 

Mr. ClothEars, would you mind explaining what you did in order to get your art work displayed. Looks like we have similar set ups.  Much appreciated. 

Eduard

I use the file name "Folder.jpg" for all my artwork and it works fine.

Just remember the artwork file must be in each directory and is case sensitive.

I have also noticed that iTunes does weird things to song storage.  I have my directory setup as "D:\Artist\Album\Track".

On compilation albums iTunes seems to create directories for each artist but not with the artwork file in place.

I don't touch iTunes myself but have noticed this when helping friends sort out their iTunes library.

On 10/3/2017 at 8:13 PM, ClothEars said:

I use the file name "Folder.jpg" for all my artwork and it works fine.

Just remember the artwork file must be in each directory and is case sensitive.

I have also noticed that iTunes does weird things to song storage.  I have my directory setup as "D:\Artist\Album\Track".

On compilation albums iTunes seems to create directories for each artist but not with the artwork file in place.

I don't touch iTunes myself but have noticed this when helping friends sort out their iTunes library.

Also be aware that Folder.jpg is not the same as folder.jpg. The name is case sensitive. If you are still having problems, let us know and we can dig deeper. I was an early adopter, love this app, and have posted quite a bit on the topic on Audio Circle to help out others.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

ClothEars and Krutsch thanks for your input. 

What software are you using or suggest as an alternative to iTunes, for a direct conection of a USB to the sms-200 using Soundirok.

My only computer is an iMac.

I'm an older guy and no longer computer savy, so some simple to follow instructions is much appreciated. 

21 hours ago, tubegem said:

ClothEars and Krutsch thanks for your input. 

What software are you using or suggest as an alternative to iTunes, for a direct conection of a USB to the sms-200 using Soundirok.

My only computer is an iMac.

I'm an older guy and no longer computer savy, so some simple to follow instructions is much appreciated. 

Are you saying connect your imac directly to the sms-200?  Wouldn’t the software/player still be just the soundirok app?  You are just pointing soundirok to a folder on the imac vs. a folder on an external hard drive hooked to the sms-200.  I have not tried this so I am just considering this theoretically and I am not exactly sure if this is what you are asking.

7 hours ago, bmoregnr said:

Are you saying connect your imac directly to the sms-200?  Wouldn’t the software/player still be just the soundirok app?  You are just pointing soundirok to a folder on the imac vs. a folder on an external hard drive hooked to the sms-200.  I have not tried this so I am just considering this theoretically and I am not exactly sure if this is what you are asking.

Not quite. WD T3 directly connected to the sms-200. Soundirok, from iPad sees and plays the albums ok, but I get zero cover art.

Same set up as ClothEars, but I don't believe he uses iTunes. The WD has an exact copy of my itunes set up on the iMac. I'm trying to eliminate any computer in the music chain. I'm willing to move to something other than iTunes for library management and ripping, but want somrthing that works, hence my question .

5 hours ago, tubegem said:

Soundirok, from iPad sees and plays the albums ok, but I get zero cover art.

Here is a post from another forum, supporting Bryston digital players, on the topic of getting album art from Soundirok:

Name: Bryston BDP-1 
IP Address: bryston-bdp-1.local (on my setup this has to be the units IP to connect)
Port: 6600 
Password: <empty>

Cover Script URL: <empty>

Collection URL: http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music/ 
Cover Filename: Folder.jpg 
Artist Thumb Filename: Folder.jpg

The IP address and cover/artist thumb filenames have to be adjusted. As far as I know the Bryston players share the music collection at http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music/. Technically Soundirok does the following the get the URL to a cover image:

From the path to a file reported by MPD the actual file is removed, for example:

"Artist A/Album B/01 - Track 01.flac" --> "Artist A/Album B/"
Then the cover filename provided in the settings is appended: "Artist A/Album B/Folder.jpg". 
After that the collection URL is prepended (and a maybe missing trailing slash is added): "http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music/Artist A/Album B/Folder.jpg"

Again, be sure you adjust the cover filename to match the case of the actual files in your folders.

See if this helps.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

Ok @tubegem I see what you mean now.  I use iTunes but not for the flac files used for the soundirok/sms-200 combo; also I don't use artwork on those flac files so I am probably not much help.  I did however check my iTunes folders and I noticed the artwork is not in each album folder.  I am wondering/guessing if soundirok is maybe expecting a .jpg in each album folder.  Just guessing so apologies if this is off target. 

PS I notice a script for pulling out iTunes artwork seemingly needed for something like Sonos https://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=savealbumartjpeg

For each album directory/folder you need a cover art jpg file.  The name of the file must be the same - I use ‘Folder.jpg’ which is case sensitive.

@tubegem  In the setup of Soundirok you need to specify the standard file name you will use for the cover art.  Once this is specified you need to check that each artist album directory has such a file. That should bring up the album art for you.

Clothears > thank you for clarifying that you are using JRiver. I understand the need to have the cover art on it's own folder. I will look into JRiver as an alternative for me.

Bmoregnr > I think you nailed the issue. It looks like the album art is burried within iTunes and only referenced when needed. Ironically, I also have a Sony HAP-Z1es, and it recognized or rebuilt the artwork from the iTunes library.

I came across the 'doug script' solution as well and will see if that works. If not I will probably get a second Sony and forget the sms-200.

Thanks all for your assistance.

On 10/12/2017 at 9:42 AM, tubegem said:

Clothears > thank you for clarifying that you are using JRiver. I understand the need to have the cover art on it's own folder. I will look into JRiver as an alternative for me.

Bmoregnr > I think you nailed the issue. It looks like the album art is burried within iTunes and only referenced when needed. Ironically, I also have a Sony HAP-Z1es, and it recognized or rebuilt the artwork from the iTunes library.

I came across the 'doug script' solution as well and will see if that works. If not I will probably get a second Sony and forget the sms-200.

Thanks all for your assistance.

The DougsScripts solution works great to export a 'Folder.jpg' into each folder. But a warning: if you rename/delete an album, from within iTunes, iTunes won't remove the corresponding folder as it's not empty.

On 2017-10-14 at 1:15 PM, Krutsch said:

The DougsScripts solution works great to export a 'Folder.jpg' into each folder. But a warning: if you rename/delete an album, from within iTunes, iTunes won't remove the corresponding folder as it's not empty.

Thanks for the warning.  I don't think this is going to work either, as the scrips only work in iTunes and within the Mac. The main external drive (WD-music) with the music isn't recognized by the sms-200 in that it's looking for a FAT formated drive. 

The drive (WD-FAT) music copy which is FAT formatted can't run the scrips. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I now also have a Windows 10 laptop and I have downloaded a trial copy of Jriver. Jriver recognizes the music and displays the cover art on the the laptop. Is there a way to somehow save this to the WD-FAt drive, so that the sms-200 will be able to use it?

If not, how would you start from scratch? I can certainly reformat the WD-FAT. What would be the safest way to again transfer exiting music to this drive and how to obtain missing art cover, without having to rerip 14000 tracks. Thanks.

On 2017-10-17 at 8:04 AM, ClothEars said:

My external drive is formatted in NTFS and the sMS-200 has no problem mounting the drive.  I also don’t think scripts are format specific though I could be wrong.

Reformated the external drive to NTFS. Apple recognizes the drive, but will not write to it.

Reformated this time to exFAT. IMac sees it and I was able to copy all of my music to the drive to be used with the sms-200. Ran Dougs sripts with some mixed results. Using Finder in the iMac, I was able to verify that a .jpg cover art file was created. However it was artist,album.jpg and not just folder.jpg.  I verified that some of my rips (DSD) have a 'folder.jpg' file.

Even with both types of .jpg files as described, I still get zero cover art. 

I'm at a total loss as to what else to try. Is there any  type of memory thing that needs to be purged? No matter what I try, I get the same results, and it appears I'm alone with outcome. 

As a recap, all I'm trying to accomplish is to use my music files with cover art created  on an iMac external drive to a second external drive that Soudirok will display album cover art from the usb drive connected to the sms-200. I get music ok, but 100% blank cover art.

Soundirok says they are not familiar with the sms-200. 

• 1 month later...
On 09/10/2017 at 4:31 PM, Krutsch said:

Also be aware that Folder.jpg is not the same as folder.jpg. The name is case sensitive. If you are still having problems, let us know and we can dig deeper. I was an early adopter, love this app, and have posted quite a bit on the topic on Audio Circle to help out others.

I am also a SMS-200 Ultimate user having trouble importing the art work with my Soundirok. Don't have problems with Kazoo, Lumin, Audionet, Eightball, etc, but I do with Soundirok. Get the files, but not the artwork.

I have a Folder.jpg in every folder (ripped with dbpoweramp), same as the one I have in Soundirok settings (first letter capitalised in both cases) and the collection folder is http://myipaddress/music/.

I have a SSD Samsung directly attached to the SMS-200 ultimate. I am using an iPad and have the latest software (both Soundirok and iOS).

Unfortunately, Daniel is not answering my emails and as such I would be very grateful for any pointers/suggestions of what I may be doing wrong.

I really like the look and feel of Soundirok, but if I can't have the artwork I might as well go back to Kazoo, etc.

• 2 months later...

The new version (2.12) of Soundirok became available a couple of days ago.

I did the update and set about updating the Soundirok database and it crashed.

I can't get it running for more than 2 seconds without it crashing again.

Anyone else having problems with the new version??

13 hours ago, ClothEars said:

The new version (2.12) of Soundirok became available a couple of days ago.

I did the update and set about updating the Soundirok database and it crashed.

I can't get it running for more than 2 seconds without it crashing again.

Anyone else having problems with the new version??

I am having the same problem. I hope Daniel fixes this....very soon!

On 3/6/2018 at 7:03 PM, ClothEars said:

I have received an email from Daniel and he is putting a fixed version on the App store in the next day or so.

Apparently it has to do with the files that have no ID3 tags set.

Update is out. 

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Happy to read that apple users have the chance to benefit from the support of the designer of this app.

This is what Daniel have said to me 9 months ago (11.07.2017) when I have asked "when an update for Android"?

The response: " I still need to do some adjustments for the Android version. I will update it during the next weeks."

Lying!

It's the first time I'm disappointed to have paid for an app. No update since 2016, zero support... For a paid app, it's shameful.

Audroid users, DON'T BUY!!

In my case after the last updates only File view is working.

With Journal or anything else I can not play anything.

The albums are shown but no response when trying to play...

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

• 3 weeks later...