IGNORED

New Product Launch - nano iDSD LE

Nano iDSD LE

Pocket Rocket.

nanoiDSDLE01.241.png

Southport, UK – 9th December 2016

Small, dark and handsome

The original nano iDSD redefined the US$200 price class for sonics with a worldwide following of portable/home music lovers enjoying all formats from DSD to MP3.

The new nano iDSD 'LE' (Light Edition) in stunning dark titanium is a $129 reboot:

1. Same stunning ‘True Native’ Burr-Brown PCM/DSD chipset
  2. Headphone power output of 130mW with 10-hour battery life
  3. RCA outputs on analogue volume control

Below US$150, there is nothing as advanced as the nano iDSD LE:

Features

· Burr-Brown ‘True Native’ chipset

· AMR trickle-down ZeroJitter Lite® for low-jitter/phase-noise

· DC-Infinity circuit, DirectDrive® Servo-less circuit

· Battery-life ~10 hours

(Compared to original nano DSD, no SPDIF out, no filter switch and DSD256)

Specifications

· Power Source: Battery/USB Bus power

· Battery Life: ~ 10 Hours playback*

· Formats: 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192/384KHz PCM

2.8/3.1/5.6/6.2MHz DSD

353/384KHz DXD

Bit-Perfect DSD & DXD DAC by Burr Brown (1-DAC Chip; 2-Channel; 4-Signals)

· Input: USB 2.0

· Output Audio RCA / 3.5mm Headphone

· Dynamic Range: >104dB

· THD &N (35mW) < 0.005%

· THD &N (Line) < 0.005%

· Output Power (16R): > 130mW

· Output Voltage: >1.65V (>100Ω)

· Output Impedance:(Zout): <1Ω

· Power Consumption: < 3W (charging battery and playback together)

· Dimensions: 106(l)x67(w)x28(h)mm

· Weight: 162g(0.43lbs)

# requires Camera Connection Kit or OTG adapter. Cable sold separately.

Specifications are subject to change without notice.

The retail price of the nano iDSD LE US$129 (ex-tax) or €149/£129 (incl VAT).

Music Direct has it on the launch pad:

https://www.musicdirect.com/headphone-amp/iFi-Nano-iDSD-LE-DACHeadphone-Amp

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

Nano iDSD LE

Pocket Rocket.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31392[/ATTACH]

Southport, UK – 9th December 2016

Small, dark and handsome

The original nano iDSD redefined the US$200 price class for sonics with a worldwide following of portable/home music lovers enjoying all formats from DSD to MP3.

The new nano iDSD 'LE' (Light Edition) in stunning dark titanium is a $129 reboot:

1. Same stunning ‘True Native’ Burr-Brown PCM/DSD chipset
  2. Headphone power output of 130mW with 10-hour battery life
  3. RCA outputs on analogue volume control

Below US$150, there is nothing as advanced as the nano iDSD LE:

Features

· Burr-Brown ‘True Native’ chipset

· AMR trickle-down ZeroJitter Lite[emoji768] for low-jitter/phase-noise

· DC-Infinity circuit, DirectDrive[emoji768] Servo-less circuit

· Battery-life ~10 hours

(Compared to original nano DSD, no SPDIF out, no filter switch and DSD128)

Specifications

· Power Source: Battery/USB Bus power

· Battery Life: ~ 10 Hours playback*

· Formats: 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192/384KHz PCM

2.8/3.1/5.6/6.2/11.2MHz DSD

353/384KHz DXD

Bit-Perfect DSD & DXD DAC by Burr Brown (1-DAC Chip; 2-Channel; 4-Signals)

· Input: USB 2.0

· Output Audio RCA / 3.5mm Headphone

· Dynamic Range: >104dB

· THD &N (35mW) < 0.005%

· THD &N (Line) < 0.005%

· Output Power (16R): > 130mW

· Output Voltage: >1.65V (>100Ω)

· Output Impedance:(Zout): <1Ω

· Power Consumption: < 3W (charging battery and playback together)

· Dimensions: 106(l)x67(w)x28(h)mm

· Weight: 162g(0.43lbs)

# requires Camera Connection Kit or OTG adapter. Cable sold separately.

Specifications are subject to change without notice.

The retail price of the nano iDSD LE US$129 (ex-tax) or €149/£129 (incl VAT).

Music Direct has it on the launch pad:

https://www.musicdirect.com/headphone-amp/iFi-Nano-iDSD-LE-DACHeadphone-Amp

You say it has no DSD128 but then include DSD128 in the specs. Or are those the specs for the previous version?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

You say it has no DSD128 but then include DSD128 in the specs. Or are those the specs for the previous version?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

reference to the previous version

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I am a happy owner of the original iDSD Nano, and I was wondering if there are any sound quality differences compared with the LE version (just thinking of a possible Christmas present idea)? I assume that the new 'dark titanium' is a different finish to the original, but in the photos it looks the same to me.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

I am a happy owner of the original iDSD Nano, and I was wondering if there are any sound quality differences compared with the LE version (just thinking of a possible Christmas present idea)? I assume that the new 'dark titanium' is a different finish to the original, but in the photos it looks the same to me.

Yes, it is a different colour indeed. Dark titanium is what we use in our Pro series. LE sound quality is very close, the main difference between this device and original nano is in functionality above all else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Audiophile Club of Athens – the President uses the iFi iDAC2 in his ultra-fi system!

Late last year, when we were at the Athens Audio Show, we met Mr Kyriakos Kougioumtzoglou – President of the ACA since 2016. Mr Kougioumtzoglou, who also happens to be an EE, knows his onions. He has an ultra-fidelity system which is something to behold; including the Micro Seki RX-1500 and Tascam BR-20 Reel-to-Reel. Not to mention Wilson Audio Alexandria X2 speakers and Siltech cables (if you have to ask…), among other things this gent has.

We were quite taken aback when Mr Kougioumtzoglou told us he bought an iDAC2 for digital duties fed by the Metronome C2A. It has stayed there ever since. Yes, you got this right. He obtained the unit first, gave it a good spin in his expensive setup and then reported that he liked it. And that’s the reason why this is huge for us as we never knew the President of the ACA had iFi in his system.

We are lost for more superlatives but thank you Mr Kougioumtzoglou for letting us know of your little iFi in your big system!

Here is the system:

Greece.jpg

Kyriakos Kougioumtzoglou - ACA

Thank you ACA!

• 4 weeks later...

The iFi nano iDSD LE arrived Thursday, and my initial impression is that the sound stage is more expansive and the loudspeakers disappear.

When I close my eyes, I see the musicians in their places on stage.

The Music is magical, and once again, I am hearing these recordings for the First Time, despite listening to the same passages for years.

My standard reference recordings, "Mussorgsky: Pictures At An Exhibition" by Herbert von Karajan, Berliner Philharmoniker, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", and Blind Faith- "Blind Faith", have flown out of my "Computer Audiophile on the Cheap" system effortlessly.

On "Pictures" the transition from the nearly silent passages of "The Hut On Fowl's Legs (Baba-Yaga)" to the triumphant full Orchestra on "The Great Gate Of Kiev" is moving, beyond words of description.

The cymbal decay from Ginger Baker on "Well All Right" is present with each crash. I had never heard that detail.

And the voices on "Speak to Me" are quite distinguishable.

All three recordings are from a PCM 24/192 source.

I have not the budget to try the native DSD signal, but as this appears to be the wave of the future, the iFi nano iDSD LE will be ready when the industry makes HQ DSD sources more affordable.

I like to think that is just gravy on the mashed potatoes.

I have plugged it directly into my h/k 330i receiver, and listened to is through my Sennheiser HD 205 cans.

As a headphone amplifier, it blows away the headphone circuit on the h/k.

Gone is a shrillness with the Schiit Modi2, that I have grown accustomed to, not having a basis of comparison, except a Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 I purchased on close-out.

The iFi nano iDSD LE is a headphone amplifier, and external DAC, which features the Burr Brown native DSD/PCM chipset, and a pre-amp for my amplifier.

That must be the difference I am hearing.

The MSRP of the iFi nano iDSD LE is $129, and that price-point it is a Recommended Component.

It will REPLACE the Modi2 and the SYS passive pre-amp. (With the PYST RCA interconnects, my Schiits have a total value of $164, so $129 is a better value)

This unit was provided by iFi-USA to audition--in full disclosure--and review.

Now, we here at "Computer Audiophile on the Cheap" are going to have to save our shekels and buy one.

I have an ultimate challenge set up on a friend's very expensive Audiophile system. We will pit the iFi nano iDSD LE up against a Mark Levinson discrete DAC, that was factory upgraded for 24/96.

I am predicting the nano may prove to be an embarrassing revelation. With his first listen to the nano LE, my friend said,

"Clearly better than the Modi2, no comparison." And that is from a man who has invested $250,000 in seeking perfection of digital musical reproduction.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up one of these little guys to substitute for repairs/replacement of my Chord Hugo and I've gotta say, with little break in, pretty damn good. Performs all to expectations other than one minor feature, I was hoping the two outputs for RCA and headphone could simultaneously output volume, they cannot. You have to choose one or the other. Was going to use the headphone output for my subwoofer but no problem I'll just split the RCA output at a later time, which I was going to do for my new Chord DAC.

As others describe, it doesn't give you the detail of a more expensive DAC. But the colored/rounded sound you do get sounds awfully good, no wow moments, but no ugggh either, a winner for my backup DAC. How can you go wrong for only $129, shipping included? Bit perfect, JRiver playback only. Since I use an LPS-1 powering my Regen directly connected to the DAC, battery or USB power doesn't seem to make much of a difference on the Nano DAC.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I've already changed my mind on which sounds best powering the Nano LE, USB power from Regen LPS-1. Not even a contest.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

This DAC keeps on impressing me. With a good 40 hours of playback it has opened up considerable. It now could rival a Chord DAC at 15 times it's cost. DSD native is definitely better than the Chord's. Power thru the USB with an LPS-1 via Regen is definitely the way to go.

When I get my Chord DAC back it will be interesting to hear the difference in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...