IGNORED

Aurender A10 or Lumin T1

Am tossing up between these two to purchase.

The A10 can accept to DSD128, the Lumin to DSD64. DSD128 is a sweet spot from my personal preference.

Both are network players sourcing from NAS drives. Tidal, Spotify or any streaming service has no interest, so not an issue.

Main appeal for either is that they have XLR analog outs, so there's no need for external DAC, Intona and a multitude of fixers, since the output is already analog with short signal paths. T1 has a separate enclosure for the power supply, which is a great idea, distance from radiated EMC is good, but leakage currents are still there, although a linear supply can be lower than SMPS, but not entirely.. T1 has Lundahl output XLR transformers, I like this.

The A10 has hard drives, the T1 does not, so potentially the T1 can be more reliable in the longer term. Failure of the hard drive needs to be taken into account. T1 has I2S out, for the future this is something up the sleeve.

Both are priced near enough the same, so this is not an advantage for either. Both have an ipad app to control the music, which on the surface looks workable, much like jremote (used to be!!).

SQ is certainly a factor, however good the SQ may be, the reliability takes a higher priority. It's not the point to listen to lovely music, then it stops repeatedly or something needs a reboot.

Would like to hear how the apps work and any sticky issues with either that are not yet solved with firmware updates.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Lumin is OpenHome compliant. You can choose between its own Lumin app, Linn Kazoo app, or Bubble UPnP, or other UPnP app like JRiver. Lumin will support Roon Ready in a future firmware upgrade.

Note that Lumin has BNC-SPDIF output, not I2S output.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Am tossing up between these two to purchase.

The A10 can accept to DSD128, the Lumin to DSD64. DSD128 is a sweet spot from my personal preference.

Both are network players sourcing from NAS drives. Tidal, Spotify or any streaming service has no interest, so not an issue.

Main appeal for either is that they have XLR analog outs, so there's no need for external DAC, Intona and a multitude of fixers, since the output is already analog with short signal paths. T1 has a separate enclosure for the power supply, which is a great idea, distance from radiated EMC is good, but leakage currents are still there, although a linear supply can be lower than SMPS, but not entirely.. T1 has Lundahl output XLR transformers, I like this.

The A10 has hard drives, the T1 does not, so potentially the T1 can be more reliable in the longer term. Failure of the hard drive needs to be taken into account. T1 has I2S out, for the future this is something up the sleeve.

Both are priced near enough the same, so this is not an advantage for either. Both have an ipad app to control the music, which on the surface looks workable, much like jremote (used to be!!).

SQ is certainly a factor, however good the SQ may be, the reliability takes a higher priority. It's not the point to listen to lovely music, then it stops repeatedly or something needs a reboot.

Would like to hear how the apps work and any sticky issues with either that are not yet solved with firmware updates.

Remember that the A10 sends music that is being played from its spinning drive to a solid state drive. The spinning drive is used for storage and not for continuous operation.On the other and, the Aurender comes with warnings about shutting the think down correctly (a warning about mechanical drives). On the further hand, you will have your music backed up to some other drive(s).

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

Openhome serves some value, and not tied to the one software product. Speaking of software, Lumin requires Minimserver to be installed on the NAS or PC? Anything else as far as software goes on the network?

Been looking at too many other devices, the I2S output is from this device. Saw the HDMI out and 2+3 together...sigh.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Openhome serves some value, and not tied to the one software product. Speaking of software, Lumin requires Minimserver to be installed on the NAS or PC?
Not exactly, for network audio file streaming the Lumin (in common with other OpenHome & standard UPnP/DLNA streamers) requires a UPnP/DLNA media server such as MinimServer, to provide it with the files.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Heard the A10 and believe is a winner. The internal dac is unbelievably good.

4 torroids with separate linear power supply for each department ensures great performance as well.

Having Aurender X100 for 2.5 years now, had no problems.

There is also remote help in Aurenders for fast support, lthough never used it.

Have an A10 for a couple weeks Stellar. Even better when running thru a dedicated pre. MQA certified if you are a believer.

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors