IGNORED

2.1?

A little over my depth here...

Looking to buy a DAC to improve sound quality and reduce noise.

Currently looking at this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B01E6T56EA/ref=nav_signin?ie=UTF8&qid=1480901460&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Focusrite+Scarlett-2i2+Gen2+USB+Audio+Interface&

My question is, does this support a subwoofer?

No, I don't think so. Take a look at its outputs - two '1/4-inch balanced jack outputs to connect professional studio monitors'. No sub output here. Are you sure you need such a device anyway? It seems more suited for musicians/recording engineers. You may want to consider a DAC/preamp with either a dedicated sub output or a second pair of analogue outputs. For example:

SMSL Q5 PRO Stereo Amplifier USB Optical Coaxial DAC with Subwoofer Output 2x40W

or

http://nadelectronics.com/products/digital-music/D-1050-USB-DAC

Someone said I could take the two speaker leads and put them into the sub, and then have the sub connect to the speakers after that. (Assuming I buy a sub with such a function)

Most subs have that functionality, although if you want a sub with balanced inputs and outputs that does restrict your selection of reasonably priced options.

The main issue here is how the sub will be integrated into the system. If you run the stereo signal through the sub, then in most cases it will have a fixed 80Hz highpass filter on the output, and all bass will only come through the subwoofer. If you run parallel outputs from your DAC to the main speakers and sub, then the main speakers will output down to their lowest frequency response, and the sub will supplement that (you need to find a crossover frequency for it that sounds good). If you get a 2.1-channel preamp, then it will give you independent control over the crossover frequencies applied to the main speakers and the sub. General advice is to set the crossover frequency to twice the frequency listed as the bass response on the main speakers.

In my own 2.1-channel system, I experimented with several crossover frequencies before settling on 80Hz, so the main benefit I'm getting from having a 2.1-channel preamp is that I have balanced XLR sending a filtered signal to the monitors, while the sub only has RCA input. However, I like having the flexibility to change the crossover settings without rewiring.

If you go for a DAC with one stereo output and decide you prefer a full-range signal on the main monitors, you can get Y-cables to split the output (to the monitors and the sub from the same output). The line-level inputs on powered speakers normally draw so little current that this doesn't cause problems.

Well help me out. Give me some amazon links to things that will do what I need them to do but for cheaper.

I'm not totally set on Focusrite, but everyone around me seems to be buying them so I'm lead to believe it's the best choice.

Well help me out. Give me some amazon links to things that will do what I need them to do but for cheaper.

I'm not totally set on Focusrite, but everyone around me seems to be buying them so I'm lead to believe it's the best choice.

Focusrite gear is no doubt good, but it's primarily geared towards recording, so part of the price you pay will be for mic preamps and ADCs you'll never use.

Have you decided on a sub? I'd suggesting you start with that, or at least make a short-list of options. Then it will be easier to narrow down the list of suitable DACs.

Well my Dad ordered the 2i2 days ago...guess I'll have to do one of those Jerry Rig techniques. You say I can just add a Y to one of the wires and plug that into the sub?

Well, that'll give you subwoofage for one of the left/right channels. This is less than ideal, even if there often isn't much channel separation at low frequencies. Some subs have two inputs for precisely this reason.

The KRK subs you mentioned have balanced left/right inputs and high-pass filtered outputs. The easiest way to use one of these with the Focusrite 2i2 is to connect balanced cables from the DAC left/right outputs to the sub inputs and from the sub outputs to the monitors. If you want to send the full range signal to the monitors, you'll need Y cables.