IGNORED

AppleMusic...lossless or Cue-less

davidovada

Really, Eddy Cue? Really?

From BBC this morning - an interview with Eddy Cue and Zane Lowe:

Would you consider upgrading Apple Music to high-fidelity or "lossless" audio?

EC: There's a lot of talk about that - but what we've focused on is making sure we get the best masters.

One of the things we realised early on when we were doing iTunes was that the quality of the songs we were getting sometimes weren't the best - because they weren't coming directly from the master tapes. They had already been pre-processed and all that.

So we spent a lot of time [obtaining those] so that the quality of audio that you're getting from us is really indiscernible from any other mechanism.

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

You mean getting the best masters and compressing them to 256kbps aac . Lol

Still better then taking a regular cd - reprocessing it into hi-rez and selling it to you as a golden egg.

When computer audio became a reality for me(hint - aac did not exist yet and for quite some time), I took a weekend, converted some of my favorite cds to 128, 160, 256, 320 and started a blind listening session. What I learned, that on a very well mastered recordings I can still hear the difference between uncompressed and 320Kbps, on bad ones couldn't hear a difference between uncompressed and 256Kbps.

Some years later when aac came along, have done the same blind listening session with it. To my surprise, 320Kbps was just as good as CD quality in 99% of the cases, at least to my years, and 256Kbps AAC better then 320Kbps mp3.

I still stayed with lossless for many years until the incredible amount of music I wanted to hear let me to try Apple Music. My only reservations were 256Kbps and either it is going to give me listening fatigue or not. After three month with it I'm happy to report that, no listening fatigue, and I listen to a lot of music. Quality - here I'm amused too, the amount of detail that 256Kbps can preserve is very impressive. I would like to be a purist and say nothing less of a red-book is worth listening to, but I'm not a purist. Some well mastered recording sound better in 160Kbps then others, not so well mastered, in hi-rez.

I also very well aware that it Apple did lossless streaming it would be great, but not possible to pull out my iPhone anywhere and ask Siri to play whatever comes to my mind and it starts it instantly, instantly! and sounds incredible!

I'm not LOL and glad that they do what they do!

When our networks will allow to do lossless anywhere, I'd be glad to know they have the masters they were so carefully trying to obtain and let's hope they'll do the right thing.

my > overly > fancy > system > with > directional > interconnects > powered > by > ego & linear fusion reactor

They've long has the masters in 24/96 for years and years - it's a requirement of the

"Mastered for iTunes" label they add to certain songs and albums.

So they may (or not) have the largest hi-res collection on Earth. Like everyone, I'm just hoping they up the quality for us that want it. But as a percentage of their total customer base, we may be too small for them to worry about this.

They've long has the masters in 24/96 for years and years - it's a requirement of the

"Mastered for iTunes" label they add to certain songs and albums.

So they may (or not) have the largest hi-res collection on Earth. Like everyone, I'm just hoping they up the quality for us that want it. But as a percentage of their total customer base, we may be too small for them to worry about this.

Yes it's a small group . My kids don't care at all about sound quality and neither does my wife .

When I go to the gym with an Audioquest Red , no one has any idea what this device is . I answer all the questions and get puzzled confused looks .

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I can't see any business model for Apple that would justify selling 24/96. They already own the platform, the brand, the customer base, etc etc.

But lets just say Apple does one day sell 24/96 songs, how much would Audiophiles be willing to pay for a 24/96 song? $1.50, $2.00, $2.50 ?

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Only a thought - I'm quite dumb. From some reports (could easily be false) they are losing money with Apple Music but happy to take a hit to sell more hardware. They could unleash Hi-Res for no added cost in the hope they also sell new Hi-Res headphones and of course even more phones and MacBooks etc. But they'd be watching if anyone cares about even Hi-Res headphones - right now the numbers probably don't add up for them. They have a history of convincing millions to buy something they didn't initially think they needed though. That's not said in a negative way either - I'm one of those suckers with an iPhone and iPad and iMac

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Only a thought - I'm quite dumb. From some reports (could easily be false) they are losing money with Apple Music but happy to take a hit to sell more hardware. They could unleash Hi-Res for no added cost in the hope they also sell new Hi-Res headphones and of course even more phones and MacBooks etc. But they'd be watching if anyone cares about even Hi-Res headphones - right now the numbers probably don't add up for them. They have a history of convincing millions to buy something they didn't initially think they needed though. That's not said in a negative way either - I'm one of those suckers with an iPhone and iPad and iMacSent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

If Spotify still isn't profitable, then I seriously doubt Apple Music would be. If Apple did change their tune, then Lossless streaming and/or Hi-res would suddenly become magical and indispensable.

i just hope Tidal can stay in business, I could probably be ok with Apple Music's lossy streams (at least for discovery), but losing Roon integration would be tough.

If Spotify still isn't profitable, then I seriously doubt Apple Music would be. If Apple did change their tune, then Lossless streaming and/or Hi-res would suddenly become magical and indispensable.

i just hope Tidal can stay in business, I could probably be ok with Apple Music's lossy streams (at least for discovery), but losing Roon integration would be tough.

Can Amazon pull it off, do you think? (e.g. through Echo).

Can Amazon pull it off, do you think? (e.g. through Echo).

The problem with Hi-Res and Lossless is the business model, or the lack thereof. There is no main-stream / mass-market appeal, there just isn't enough "there" there for the vast majority of people and popular music. Less than half of Tidal's subs bother paying for the lossless HiFi service today and it's only $20/month. If it made any sense (competitive, financial or otherwise) for Amazon, then I'm sure they would be offering a High-res download option alongside their MP3 downloads and adding some hi-res streams to Prime Music to get you hooked... but none of the major players are even hinting at hi-res (or lossless) being on their roadmap.

The problem with Hi-Res and Lossless is the business model, or the lack thereof. There is no main-stream / mass-market appeal, there just isn't enough "there" there for the vast majority of people and popular music. Less than half of Tidal's subs bother paying for the lossless HiFi service today and it's only $20/month. If it made any sense (competitive, financial or otherwise) for Amazon, then I'm sure they would be offering a High-res download option alongside their MP3 downloads and adding some hi-res streams to Prime Music to get you hooked... but none of the major players are even hinting at hi-res (or lossless) being on their roadmap.

Yeah there have been rumors about Apple and Spotify offering hi-res for years but nothing has come to fruition .

They must think the market is just too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I don't think Amazon is interested .

Should Tidal fail I will go back to using Apple Music for discovery and buy cd's

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Agree - they don't seem interested.

I can't get myself to get an Echo (too creepy), but my neighbor has one. Sound quality is as expected, but they are happy with it. (Going to be the Sonos-killer).

Given that Amazon is trying to "disintermediate " book publishers from authors, and given that they also have Amazon Prime movies and some MP3 files in their offerings, they *could* be interested in the future in streaming (though admittedly the margins might be too slim).

I doubt Apple Music will stream redbook let alone hi Rez. I could see iTunes one day selling such, but not streaming. For what it is, Apple Music streaming actually sounds quite nice to me, especially the Mastered for ITunes selections. Do I prefer Redbook or hi Rez, of course. IMO, much of mainstream ( the content that is streamed the most ) music production sound quality is "glossy" crap anyway. Higher Rez is not really benefiting the biggest selling material.