IGNORED

DSD Downloads to Die for?

Well - I have an Exasound e28 DSD capable dac arriving tomorrow and wondering if the hive has some suggestions of performances that best show off what that format is capable of?

I'm interested in major orchestral works. Mahler, Smetana, Debussy etc

Also, string quartet. Jazz ensemble (Miles Davis Traditional classical not acid jazz or Kenny G style)

Thanks for the suggestions :)

bonus points for free downloads and anything available from eclassical

sorry - I cannot download from qobuz

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

Here are a few really outstanding performances/recordings, off the top of my head:

CHANNEL CLASSICS (available from Native DSD Music)

Mahler: Symphony No. 9 - Fischer

CHALLENGE CLASSICS (The Spirit of Turtle) (up to DSD256)

Bruckner: Symphonies 1, 3, 6 - van Zweden (There's also a Bruckner 8, but I'm not as impressed with it, interpretively speaking, as with the others.)

Britten: War Requiem - van Zweden

Prokofiev: Symphonies 3 & 4 - Gaffigan

LAWO (Native DSD Music)

Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet - Petrenko

RCA LIVING STEREO (HDtracks, Acoustic Sounds, Primephonic)

Iberia - Reiner

Spain - Reiner

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition - Reiner

Prokofiev: Lt. Kije/Stravinsky: Song of the Nightingale - Reiner

Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade - Reiner

SFS MEDIA (SAN FRANCISCO SYMPHONY) (Blue Coast Music)

Mahler: Symphonies 1-10 (Adagio) - Tilson Thomas (very individual, sometimes mannered, interpretations that may not appeal to all tastes, but generally great sound quality)

Incidentally, eClassical doesn't offer DSD downloads, so no bonus points for me or anyone else. ;-)

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

I'll add:

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 - Fischer (Native DSD)

Vivaldi: L'Estro armonico - Podger (Native DSD)

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Especially if you are capable of counting to five and looking for bolded text, for the price it is hard to beat the Positive Feedback Sampler. Once you register you can find some free samples under the music tab on top as well.

? Not sure I understand the count to five and bolded text hints...

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

? Not sure I understand the count to five and bolded text hints...

Think it's referring you to the 5th paragraph in the first link (of the Positive Feedback article) and using the coupon code in bold to get the 50% discount. Only it says that the offer would expire at the end of October, maybe give it a try to see if it's still active. Hope this helps!

Think it's referring you to the 5th paragraph in the first link (of the Positive Feedback article) and using the coupon code in bold to get the 50% discount. Only it says that the offer would expire at the end of October, maybe give it a try to see if it's still active. Hope this helps!

coupon expired :(

The first which comes to mind would be:

Vivaldi: La Stravaganza - Rachel Podger & Arte Dei Suonatori (ChannelClassics)

Rachel Podger - La Stravaganza - Channel Classics Records

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/19503-la-stravaganza-12-violin-concertos

Indeed.

Stunning performance and sound quality, and this one, as well:

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/lestro-armonico

Nice. An e28 will give you Stereo and Multichannel DSD up to DSD 256 playback.

Some suggestions:

Raizes - Breno Viricimo & Friends

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/JL003-raizes

Some Other Time: The Lost Black Forest Sessions - Bill Evans

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDRE1044-bill-evans-some-other-time-the-lost-session-from-the-black-forest

Audiolab: The DSD Sampler

https://nativedsdpresents.nativedsd.com/albums/NDSD004-audiolab-the-sampler-dsd

In Stereo - Cootie Williams & Orchestra

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/products/cootie-williams-in-stereo-cootie-williams-on-trumpet-and-his-orchestra

In Summer - Paulien van Schaik, Bert Joris, Hein van de Geyn

https://challengejazz.nativedsd.com/albums/in-summer

Live In The Studio - Jenna Mammina & Alex de Grassi

Jenna Mammina & Alex de Grassi | Live in the Studio | Blue Coast Records

Find some Free stereo and multi-channel David Elias songs as well.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

And then get the full David Elias albums in Stereo and Multichannel DSD if you like the music.... :)

https://skettisandwich.nativedsd.com/

Indeed, such cool songs. And usually I'm not a big fan of folk and country, but I like his songs!

There's a free one on the exaSound blog somewhere on both stereo and mch.

I believe I had found another one at Oppo's website.

There are a couple of others around as well.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Indeed, such cool songs. And usually I'm not a big fan of folk and country, but I like his songs!

There's a free one on the exaSound blog somewhere on both stereo and mch.

I believe I had found another one at Oppo's website.

There are a couple of others around as well.

David Elias has been pretty generous with providing free DSD Samples of his music on several web sites (Oppo, exaSound, NativeDSD). I just want to make sure he gets some DSD Download sales along the way if listeners like his music after downloading the Stereo and Surround DSD Samples ! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to share a couple of my favorite DSDs with you.

I first met Meghan Andrews at 2016's RMAF. She did a cover of Townes Van Zandt's "Waiting Around to Die" and the a stunning version of The Rolling Stones "Wild Horses". I was so impressed by her music that I went home a bought a copy of Blue Coast Music's Special Event 43 where one of the songs is "Waiting Around to Die". Meghan's voice is so beautiful and the recording is stunning. She also sings a song that she wrote called "Jupiter Rising" that I also enjoy very much. This is so well recorded that it makes my system purr. As for "Wild Horses", Meghan has a new album coming out on Feb 1, 2017 that should have a version of "Wild Horses". If you buy the album today (for a discounted price" you get the first 3 songs. The remainder of the album will be released on Feb 1.

Meghan Andrews - Blue Coast Special Event 43 - Cover.jpg

The second album that I have been listening to a lot is Blue Coast Records' "Special Event 44" featuring Odell-Fox. The opening track is a cover of Paul Simon's "You can call me Al". It is wonderful. I had to go back and listen to Paul Simon's version, and I can tell you that I really prefer Odell-Fox's version much more. Jenner Fox has such a wonderful voice that is so easy to listen to. He also has done a few other CD's that I would highly recommend, including one that he did with his father Peter Fox.

Odell_Fox_-_Blue_Coast_Special_Event_44_-_Cover.jpg

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

A couple recent downloads that I really enjoy are:

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/36916-a-moveable-feast

A Moveable Feast featuring Rick Stotijn. Available in multichannel surround. Great music, especially track 2.

Marcus

A moveable feast +1

I heard them in concert performing exactly this program. It was the first time I heard the Vaughan Williams quintet. Passionate, lyrical music. Very much recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Thanks for the great suggestions - my DSD listening is on hold as the capable DAC is in the shop. Also, my system has developed a nasty hum that seems a bit higher frequency than a ground loop. As well as a loud buzzing in both channels when the amps turn off.

Bar del Mattatoio by Seigen Ono and Friends on Stereo DSD 64 download from Saidera Mastering.

An Analog to DSD 64 transfer that features a variety of musical styles - Jazz, Tropical, Experimental and Classical. Excellent sound quality and an enjoyable listen. Recommended.

"Ono is a very talented musician and pioneer in the world of DSD based in Japan. He not only performs on the album but also composed the music and was the album’s producer, recording engineer and mastering engineer! It’s an Analog Recording that was transferred from Analog to DSD by Seigen Ono at his Saidera Mastering and Recording Studios.

Bar del Mattatoio takes you on a musical journey that has elements of jazz, classical, tropical, and experimental music along the way. Singer Caetano Veloso describes the album as “a unique experience. Seigen Ono places us in a landscape that overflows with sensuality, sweetness and melancholy. It is easy to imagine ourselves in a hotel in a small European town during a jazz festival overhearing a band playing outside the town square."

attachment.php?attachmentid=28308&d=1484335147

Bar del Mattatoio by Seigen Ono and Friends (Saidera SDSD-1003)

https://saiderarecords.nativedsd.com/albums/SDSD1003-bar-del-mattatoio

Brian's Corner: A New Year in DSD - NativeDSD Blog