IGNORED

Which St Saens Organ Symphony On EClassical?

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

Which St Saens Organ Symphony On EClassical?

They have several different albums and I was wondering which one to get :)

eClassical - Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 "Organ Symphony"

eClassical - Saint-Saëns: Works for Organ & Orchestra

eClassical - Ravel: Orchestral Works - Saint-Saëns: Organ Symphony

Thanks for the help-

The Slatkin recording has gotten good reviews, however there are MANY recordings of this work available, probably much better ones as well. Why are you limiting yourself to what is on eClassical? Everyone has their own favorites of this piece, I predict you will get more help than you hoped for. :)

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Munch and Paray as suggested by Kal Rubinson above are the most famous classic recordings of this piece.

Let me add two contemporary ones that I really like, and both are available on eclassical, as well as elsewhere.

Nézet-Séguin with the LPO:

eClassical - Poulenc: Organ Concerto - Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 "Organ"

and the Kansas Symphony on Reference Recordings:

eClassical - Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 in C Minor "Organ Symphony", Introduction et rondo capriccioso in A Minor & La muse et le poète

None of the above.

I suggest:

Munch (RCA)

Eschenbach (Ondine)

Paray (Mercury)

I should add, excellence in performance is a given. However, I would like a contemporary production or absolutely pristine analog transfer but would prefer if it was recorded with modern high resolution equipment.

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Another oldie but goodie. A long time TAS Super Disc.

Saint Saens Fremaux.jpg

Again it is vinyl. Not sure about CD releases.

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I was fortunate to hear Munch conducting the BSO in the mid '60's with Berj Zamkochian playing the organ at Symphony Hall in Boston, the same forces as in the 1961 recording, done about 5 years earlier. Probably the performance to die for. I certainly still remember it 50 years later. There is an SACD if you want a digital version - I have the record, so I can't comment about quality.

None of the above.

I suggest:

Munch (RCA)

Eschenbach (Ondine)

Paray (Mercury)

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Munch and Paray as suggested by Kal Rubinson above are the most famous classic recordings of this piece. Let me add two contemporary ones that I really like, and both are available on eclassical, as well as elsewhere.

Nézet-Séguin with the LPO:

and the Kansas Symphony on Reference Recordings:

I was disappointed by both of these.

Another oldie but goodie. A long time TAS Super Disc.

Again it is vinyl. Not sure about CD releases.

I like this one with Fremaux/CBSO but the sound has not been well transferred to digital.

I was fortunate to hear Munch conducting the BSO in the mid '60's with Berj Zamkochian playing the organ at Symphony Hall in Boston, the same forces as in the 1961 recording, done about 5 years earlier. Probably the performance to die for. I certainly still remember it 50 years later. There is an SACD if you want a digital version - I have the record, so I can't comment about quality.
I used to think so, too, but it is a bit too fast IMHO. Still thrilling.

I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I have all of the recordings mentioned in this thread and the 3 I listed are the ones I return to.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I'm not an expert, I think the Munch is good. It also has the advantage of being on a hybrid SACD.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I was disappointed by both of these.

I like this one with Fremaux/CBSO but the sound has not been well transferred to digital.

I used to think so, too, but it is a bit too fast IMHO. Still thrilling.

I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I have all of the recordings mentioned in this thread and the 3 I listed are the ones I return to.

Kal,

Smetana's Ma Vlast and St Saen's Organ Symphony got me started on classical music

Thanks for your suggestions

Joe