IGNORED

Article: Mytek Brooklyn DAC / Preamp Review

Hi guys, a silly question here (I've tried to go through the online material so apologies in advance) but does the Brooklyn up-sample all digital inputs to DSD128 the way the PS Audio DirectStream DAC (example only) does?

I know there's a massive price difference between the two, but just wanted to understand this part.

Much appreciated in advance :-)

EDIT: doing some reading on the Manhattan II, it seems this is the model that does upsampling to DSD (DSD256) on all digital inputs, the way the PS Audio DirectStream DAC does to DSD128. Those 2 products are much closer in price too.

I think you are misinformed about all 3 DACs. The DirectStream doesn't upsample inputs to DSD 128, it does something else entirely, upsampling everything to 10X DSD rates.

The Mytek DACs also don't automatically upsample to DSD 128. You CAN upsample to DSD 256 if you choose. You don't have to upsample at all. Where are you getting this?

Hi mate, yes I could very well be misinformed, hence my "apologies in advance".

Regarding the Brooklyn I already added the edit to agree there's no upsampling.

Regarding the Manhattan II, this is from the manual: "Internal Hardware Upsampling to DSD256: Any digital signal can be upsampled to DSD256 for superior DAC chipset performance"

Regarding the PS Audio DirectStream DAC, is saw this comment "The DS converts all fed to it into DSD128." here: PS Audio DirectStream (DS) DAC — Audiophilia

Sincere apologies again for my confusion! I've only just started looking at these DSD Dacs, so I'm just trying to get my head around it, hence my questions (silly ones)

Cheers :-)