IGNORED

Core mode vs. minimal server mode

dminches

I have always run AO in minimal server mode. Is there a difference in sound quality running in core mode? Also, do I lose any capabilities running in core mode? All I need is a DOS command box to get back to the service tool. I assume I still have that in core mode?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Can I easily get back to the service tool if I run in core?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Core mode easily sounds the best for 2012. The increase in clarity is significant over GUI and Minimal Server modes.

I don't find Core mode difficult to work with at all. If you can run in Minimal Server mode, Core shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks. I am not sure why I have been running in minimal server mode! As long as I can minimize jriver and get to a DOS box via desktop remote I can do anything I need to do.

Thanks. I am not sure why I have been running in minimal server mode! As long as I can minimize jriver and get to a DOS box via desktop remote I can do anything I need to do.

Core mode will do that for you.

JRiver will run in Core and you can either minimize or have it run as your Shell then pop open a DOS box when needed.

Some folks are using Total Commander for their "pseudo-gui" file work (copy, move, etc.)

Excellent - thanks.

I will try this tonight. Should be easy to reconfigure.

Agreed. I have been using one of the imaging programs. Of course, I have never restored an image. I should try that one day!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Core mode is not always brilliant as you may see by this example: I use to use my Galaxy Tab S2 in conjunction with Microsoft remote Application to operate my Control-PC (dual-PC setup, on both PC 2012r2). When I run Control-PC in Core-Mode, scrolling doesn't work any more when I swipe over the tablet. When I swipe over the tablet, elements just get marked, but scolling is impossible. This is really annoying because you can't scoll through playlists.

As soon as I switch Control-PC to Minimal Server Mode everything works fine and I can scroll through playlists on my tablet.

In brief: Core Mode restrains the Remote Desktop connection!

Martin

In brief: Core Mode restrains the Remote Desktop connection!

Martin

I have had NO ISSUES connecting to my 2012R2 server in Core Mode and doing anything I need to do on it. While not the same, no issues with Win10 either.

I remote with iPad and can do anything in GUI, Minimal, or Core. In Core I can do full screen modes, minimal screen modes, etc.

Maybe it is the Galaxy and/or App as no issues for me with iPad.

I have had NO ISSUES connecting to my 2012R2 server in Core Mode and doing anything I need to do on it. While not the same, no issues with Win10 either.

I remote with iPad and can do anything in GUI, Minimal, or Core. In Core I can do full screen modes, minimal screen modes, etc.

Maybe it is the Galaxy and/or App as no issues for me with iPad.

Same for me, but I do use the Android app on my Galaxy Tab. I have never seen any functional issues in core mode.

Hi dtb300, hi TJHUB,

thank you very much for your reply. Due to your feedback, I decided to make a complete new clean install on my Control-PC with 2012r2 essentiell. The result: same behaviour! Impossible to scroll on my Galaxy Tab S2.

I then decided to try it with ipad and there installed Microsoft RD-Client. The result: same behaviour! Impossible to scroll! The elements just gets marked and when I continue to swipe, the marked elements move, like drag and drop.

As soon as I go back to GUI- or Minimal-Server-Mode, everything works fine!

I would really like to know the reason for this behaviour! May be you have some ideas to locate the bug? Here is my setup:

Audio-PC:

2012r2 essential + AO Core-Mode + Ultimade-Mode

Control-PC:

Dual-Boot:

1. Windows 10 Pro

2. 2012r2 essential + AO Core-Mode + Ultimade-Mode

Merry Christmas!

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
Core mode easily sounds the best for 2012. The increase in clarity is significant over GUI and Minimal Server modes.

I don't find Core mode difficult to work with at all. If you can run in Minimal Server mode, Core shouldn't be an issue.

I am a bit late to this thread, but I have an important question: SO far I thougth that Core mode is only available in a dual PC setup, but not on a single PC. Is this true or can I playback and operate a single PC also in Core mode?

So far I use AO both on Win 10 and Win12Server in Minimal server mode.

Thank you

Bernhard

I am a bit late to this thread, but I have an important question: SO far I thougth that Core mode is only available in a dual PC setup, but not on a single PC. Is this true or can I playback and operate a single PC also in Core mode?

So far I use AO both on Win 10 and Win12Server in Minimal server mode.

Thank you

Bernhard

I run AO in core mode in a single PC setup, running jriver. So, the answer is yes.

I run AO in core mode in a single PC setup, running jriver. So, the answer is yes.

Thank you for your answer. So I tried to run core mode, unfortunately after booting into Core Mode I get an error message, saying DSOUND.dll is missing from my computer, therefore Foobar will not start. In GUI mode or mini server mode this does not happen and I can use Foobar without problems.

Does anybody know how to fix this error?

Thank you

Bernhard

Try copying that file manually. Core mode is likely deleting it.

Ok, I forgot to first run AO after switching to core mode, enable media player support etc. Tooke some time, but now I I got it running. As for the sound, there is quite a difference to mini server mode, however not yet sure if it is overall better, or more musical. I will report back later.

Thank you!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Hi

It is an essentially important step to actually run AO again after one switched to core mode. Without this step, not too much will work in core mode. This is the point where AO re-injects all the parts of the OS that re need for the functionality of our media players, drivers and last but not least to AO also re-enables Kernel-Streaming again. Without AO all this is not possible, and Core mode would be practically useless.

So don't forget to run AO after switching to core mode :)

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

• 4 months later...

Hello Audiophil,

Is it possible to run Roon + Jriver in Core mode for server 2012R2?  

Setup for network services?

Thanks,

VPN

Cable Modem w/Mojo 5 power-> Innuos Zenith SE running Roon+Tidal-> Totaldac server-> Totaldac Twelve SE-> CH Precision L1+X1-> 2x Krell FPB 750mcx-> Modded Dunlavy SC-VI w/ Duelund crossovers  Cables: Kubala Realization (speaker), Echole Omnia 2x XLR and 3x AES, Totaldac Gigafilter USB,  Other: Echole Omnia power cables, SRA Scuttle mk.3 Rack, SRA VR 3.0 platforms, four dedicated 20A lines

Hi

sure. Do a portable installation of Jriver on another computer. Copy the directory to the AudioPC (same for activation).

don't forget to run AO and say YES to "Install Kernel-Streaming and MediaPlayer support".

best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide