IGNORED

Speakers with a broad sweet spot

skypickle

I have a weird room shape. It's 45 ft long and 15 feet wide. The ceiling is sloped along the 15 foot wall 7 ft on one side 18 ft tall on the other. I want to put speakers along the 15 ft wall for 2 channel listening. Currently I sit in this room and use headphones audeze LCD-x. The source is flac -> foobar2000-> ppang USB-> gustard x20-> schitt amp. I would like to send the signal from the Schitt by Xlr to a tube amp(s) to speakers. I am thinking of maggies but do not know a good amp pairing. Any suggestions?

Obviously plenty of room treatment too (drapes, carpet, ceiling panels). The room is so long I do not plan on extending the wall/ ceiling treatments beyond the seating area which consists of 4 armchairs. Otoh if a better amp/ speaker set is known for a broad sweet spot chime in.

Win10 PRO->PPANG USB->Gustard X20->Jotunheim->Sanders magtech monoblocks->3.7i

All ATCs that incorporate their soft dome midrange unit.

I have a weird room shape. It's 45 ft long and 15 feet wide. The ceiling is sloped along the 15 foot wall 7 ft on one side 18 ft tall on the other. I want to put speakers along the 15 ft wall for 2 channel listening. Currently I sit in this room and use headphones audeze LCD-x. The source is flac -> foobar2000-> ppang USB-> gustard x20-> schitt amp. I would like to send the signal from the Schitt by Xlr to a tube amp(s) to speakers. I am thinking of maggies but do not know a good amp pairing. Any suggestions?

Obviously plenty of room treatment too (drapes, carpet, ceiling panels). The room is so long I do not plan on extending the wall/ ceiling treatments beyond the seating area which consists of 4 armchairs. Otoh if a better amp/ speaker set is known for a broad sweet spot chime in.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Maggie's are not known for their wide sweet spot but just the opposite in fact. My Odyssey amp is a great match with my MMG's. For a wide/expansive sweet spot check out Ohm Acoustics .. Ohm Speakers | Custom Audiophile Speakers for Music & Home Theater.

Maggie's are not known for their wide sweet spot but just the opposite in fact. My Odyssey amp is a great match with my MMG's. For a wide/expansive sweet spot check out Ohm Acoustics .. Ohm Speakers | Custom Audiophile Speakers for Music & Home Theater.

Yes the salesman at my local shop (natural sound in Framingham, MA ) suggested the Maggie 3.7 due to its planar array giving a flat response in all directions. But I did in fact search and find high frequency fall off with the maggies but not the 3.7 model. Also, is my fascination with a tube amp an unhealthy fetish borne of ignorance?

I just want sonic blackness and no shrill sibilance from the amp - the music should sound like the warm honey that flows from the Audeze LCD-x.

'warmth' is a typical tube amp sound quality - some more than others (or use an equalizer)

it depends partly on the topology of the circuit - and can be had with transistor amps as well as Bob Carver proved; typically MOSFETS can give that warmth

My Maggie's have a wide sweet spot (1.5QR) and I certainly thought it was a common attribute for them - you can also swap them so th sweet spot is smaller

a line source (panel) has important benefits but also some problems will exist with any panel speaker

you really really need to try Maggies in your own room - after that, you may be addicted to their benefits (or you may find a quality cone setup is to your taste)

Yes the salesman at my local shop (natural sound in Framingham, MA ) suggested the Maggie 3.7 due to its planar array giving a flat response in all directions. But I did in fact search and find high frequency fall off with the maggies but not the 3.7 model. Also, is my fascination with a tube amp an unhealthy fetish borne of ignorance?

I just want sonic blackness and no shrill sibilance from the amp - the music should sound like the warm honey that flows from the Audeze LCD-x.

Maggies are wonderful but have a narrow sweet spot.

I would highly recommend Nola in your situation and your sound signature preference. Open baffle speaker. Call Carl direct for recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I don't think a broad sweet spot is really what you need very much in such a room.

Don't know how far down the room you will be sitting, but you likely end up with speakers close together and relatively far away. Panels are good for this. They have less dispersion usually than other types. So you get less sidewall reflection. Being close to a line source they won't be so much effected by ceiling reflections from the sloped ceiling. Being a line source or close to it the sound level drops more slowly with distance than cone and box speakers. Further you have room to move them away from the rear wall to get best bass response from them. They can probably be placed nearly touching the sidewalls without much ill effect. Until recently I had a 12 ft by 28 foot room and have been able to use several different panel speakers very effectively.

If on the other hand you intend to only use one end of the room and sit quite close, then some monitor type speakers and at least one subwoofer will fit the bill. Some powered Focals or Genelecs with a good sub would work.

So are you planning on using most of the room or simply a small portion in one end?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Linn speakers generally have a wide sweet spot with excellent off axis response. But in particular any of their models incorporating the Linn 3k Array are excellent in offering a wide sweet spot. Tonally very engaging ....

Roon Nucleus+ / ER / Linn Klimax DS4 (Katalyst) / Dutch & Dutch 8C / JL Audio F112

Linn speakers generally have a wide sweet spot with excellent off axis response. But in particular any of their models incorporating the Linn 3k Array are excellent in offering a wide sweet spot. Tonally very engaging ....

I was looking at those models measured by Stereophile and they all have a very uneven response both off- and on-axis.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

There are three armchairs in an arc facing the 15 ft wall. A fourth armchair behind these (further away) these chairs are about 10 feet away from the wall. They are a foot away from the long side walls. I am not looking to make the room fill with sound. The other half of the room is on the other side of an 8 foot partition for a dining area.

Linn speakers are just beyond the budget a bit - $30k for the passive floor standing model. I would like to feel engaged more with my ears and heart than my wallets.

Someone also suggested klipsch but I have never auditioned them . I was happy with my psb gold i before I passed them on to my child. But they were mostly for home theater until he grew up and moved out

Anything Gallo fits the bill for wide sweet spot. I love Maggies, but as mentioned above, the sweet spot can change by moving your head just a few inches to either side.

Gallo.jpg

Gallo 2.jpg

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

There are three armchairs in an arc facing the 15 ft wall. A fourth armchair behind these (further away) these chairs are about 10 feet away from the wall. They are a foot away from the long side walls. I am not looking to make the room fill with sound. The other half of the room is on the other side of an 8 foot partition for a dining area.

Linn speakers are just beyond the budget a bit - $30k for the passive floor standing model. I would like to feel engaged more with my ears and heart than my wallets.

Someone also suggested klipsch but I have never auditioned them . I was happy with my psb gold i before I passed them on to my child. But they were mostly for home theater until he grew up and moved out

PSBs would actually do the trick.

Can you afford the Imagine T3s?

R

PSBs would actually do the trick.

Can you afford the Imagine T3s?

R

Yes, now that I think of it, my son has no appreciation for the psb golds. they carry the label of 'hand me downs'. Maybe I can convince him to upgrade to 'new' speakers and I can get those psb golds back.

Otoh, maybe I can find some triton golden ears to audition ( like in phil's sig)

Yes, now that I think of it, my son has no appreciation for the psb golds. they carry the label of 'hand me downs'. Maybe I can convince him to upgrade to 'new' speakers and I can get those psb golds back.

Otoh, maybe I can find some triton golden ears to audition ( like in phil's sig)

I would try the PSBs, Revels and perhaps the Aerials.

Not heard good things about the GEs.

R

R

Audiogon has some salon2 revels for sale. How reliable is audiogon or is there a risk of getting damaged goods? Never used the place.

Okay with the partition and spacing you describe, some monitors and sub would work. Revels and such would be a good choice too.

Audiogon is pretty safe as such things go. If you have the budget for the Revel Salons you are not likely to be disappointed in the result.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

R

Never had any issues with my GE 2+.

To the op if you can find on the used market, Salon 2's but who knows what your budget is.

The Truth Is Out There

I have Aerial Acoustic (model 6), they have a wide sweet spot, far more than many other speakers I have tried. Someone mentioned ATC, you could get those too, the Model 40 being a 3 way like mine. They are also available with built in amps, lovely.