IGNORED

Looking for alternative to jRiverMedia/win7 pc setup

DLA123

I currently use JRiver Media as a front-end , and run on windows 7. That solution has become a little obsolete for my uses as I now stream most of what i listen to.

Can someone suggest an out-of the box solution that could replace my windows7 machine/JRiver configuration, that would allow me to stream music from something like spotify, tidal or other, and also be able to access files on a local external HDD?

I liked JRiver because it had a wasapi plug-in and had a particular emphasis on high fidelity playback. I'd like to stay as hi-fi as possible in terms of playback quality. I push the music through a usb asynchronous MusicHall Dac> Rega Mira3 Amp > Rega RS5 speakers. I love the current sound of my system and would like to avoid losing any audio fidelity. My budget is under 1k.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

HiFi: Windows 7 Machine running roon core > NetGear switch > UltraRendu > Schitt Eitr > MusicHall 25.3 DAC > Rega Mira3 Amp > Rega RS5 Floorstanders.  

Whole-house Audio: Windows 7 Machine running roon core > NetGear switch > Windows 7 form-factor PC > ESI Gigaport HD+ > Russound 850MC Amp > Paradigm in-Ceiling speakers.

I currently use JRiver Media as a front-end , and run on windows 7. That solution has become a little obsolete for my uses as I now stream most of what i listen to.

Can someone suggest an out-of the box solution that could replace my windows7 machine/JRiver configuration, that would allow me to stream music from something like spotify, tidal or other, and also be able to access files on a local external HDD?

I liked JRiver because it had a wasapi plug-in and had a particular emphasis on high fidelity playback. I'd like to stay as hi-fi as possible in terms of playback quality. I push the music through a usb asynchronous MusicHall Dac> Rega Mira3 Amp > Rega RS5 speakers. I love the current sound of my system and would like to avoid losing any audio fidelity. My budget is under 1k.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure my suggestion fits all your needs, but the most versatile solution is based on MPD.

It is very very simple, inexpensive, high quality, very light, multiroom, multiprotocol, cross platform and... open source.

Keep in mind that most of the (even) high end products are based on Linux or BSD + MPD customized. In the BSD environment MPD is MusicPD.

On the market, regardless the price, you will never find something so versatile and customizable solution.

Unfortunately there are cons: nothing is ready out of the box.

MPD runs even on Windows, but I can not guarantee the same quality you can get from Linux or BSD

There are various inexpensive solutions (<150$ to begin with) based on RaspBerry Pi3 and MPD.

Best known are:

1) Moode Audio

This is my recommendation.

However, it does not support any streaming solution out of the box.

However it is possible to "install" appropriate software for streaming "on top".

I have been streaming Tidal on top of Moode for a year or so, with great satisfaction

Of course you need to have a valid Tidal subscription.

2) Rune Audio

It supports Spotify directly, if this is your preferred streaming service.

Of course you need to have a valid Spotify subscription.

3) Volumio

I have not followed Volumio evolution for some time, but you could ask the question in their forum....

Hi Apesbrain,

I think you've got the 'wrong end' of a 2 box (or, 3 box if there's a separate controller) networked system with the sonicTransporter. It is a backend or server type device, so very similar to a NAS in that you run network media file server type applications on it.

So you still require the front end device on the network, the one that actually passes the digital audio signal to a DAC after receiving the digital audio data from the sonicTransporter. This is either a network audio file player (aka renderer aka streamer) or a realtime audio network receiver (aka endpoint aka adapter), depending on the type of server application being used on the sonicTransporter.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

No, unless there's a hybrid model of sonicTransporter that I'm not aware of. The USB port is there to attach a USB storage drive to, not a USB DAC. Just think of it as an alternative device to a NAS (& yes I know there are some rare models of NAS that you can attach a USB DAC to - so not one of those NASs!).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox