IGNORED

What Are the Best Sounding Speakers UNDER $2,500 that You've Ever Heard.?

Ralf11

Keeping to something somewhat recent, and something I have heard, I would suggest the recently discontinued Revel Concerta F12 speakers.

I have heard Vandy 2C variants. Terrific speakers for the price. Have heard and owned various Maggies which also can be excellent speakers for the price. The F12 is better than those. And for $1500 when discontinued last year. Revel has replaced those with the F35, which assuming is an improvement, go for $1500 or the F36 which goes for $2K/pair. Obviously there are more speakers than any one person has heard in or near the $2500/pair price range. These I suggest are seriously good items in my experience. Revel/JBL/Infinity/Harman are onto something good with their design methodology. If this is your market, you should audition these before making a decision.

I own Soundlabs, and have experience of several Wilsons and other more expensive speakers. So this isn't a suggestion without experience of some more expensive gear. I might have a rep of thinking most modern gear sounds similar, but that isn't my opinion of speakers. Speakers is where the money should go and are what will limit your listening pleasure and experience. Modern quality speakers is where the real tangible improvements have accrued.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Thx - I am going to replace my Maggie 1.5QR speakers and their 1.7i's are likely, but I will look into the Revels and some others mentioned above. I have a room setup that is not too conducive to a panel dipole radiator.

OTOH, one addicted to the virtues of the dipole radiating panel, and its line source... ah "sourciness" ... it may be hard to switch to cones.

The comment above the amplifier is a good one and a more powerful amp could drive up a budget. IIRC, the Maggies are a fairly low impedance, 4 ohms and can drop down to 2 ohms at high freq.s, so you want an amp that deliver some current into a low impedance load. I use a Sunfire Cinema Grand to bi-amp my 1.5QR's.

Keeping to something somewhat recent, and something I have heard, I would suggest the recently discontinued Revel Concerta F12 speakers.

I have heard Vandy 2C variants. Terrific speakers for the price. Have heard and owned various Maggies which also can be excellent speakers for the price. The F12 is better than those. And for $1500 when discontinued last year. Revel has replaced those with the F35, which assuming is an improvement, go for $1500 or the F36 which goes for $2K/pair. Obviously there are more speakers than any one person has heard in or near the $2500/pair price range. These I suggest are seriously good items in my experience. Revel/JBL/Infinity/Harman are onto something good with their design methodology. If this is your market, you should audition these before making a decision.

I own Soundlabs, and have experience of several Wilsons and other more expensive speakers. So this isn't a suggestion without experience of some more expensive gear. I might have a rep of thinking most modern gear sounds similar, but that isn't my opinion of speakers. Speakers is where the money should go and are what will limit your listening pleasure and experience. Modern quality speakers is where the real tangible improvements have accrued.

I agree with your recommendation of the F12s.

The technical performance as measured by Soundstage is vey good and I was quite impressed by the Ultima 2 Studios.

I would add PSB to the Harman group as a manufacturer who's products should be shortlisted.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Very nice speaker, especially if you are looking to let go of the large screen Magnepans.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31110[/ATTACH]

SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com

The measurements look fine except for the huge baffle step at around 1 kHz.

fr_on1530.gif

I wouldn't be able to live with it.

P. S. In fact the whole of the "presence" region in recessed in a very wide plateau which should give the speaker quite a bit of character.

The measurements look fine except for the huge baffle step at around 1 kHz.

fr_on1530.gif

I wouldn't be able to live with it.

P. S. In fact the whole of the "presence" region in recessed in a very wide plateau which should give the speaker quite a bit of character.

Guess you'd better not get a pair then eh?

PS. What would that recess give as far as sound to you?

PPS. Obviously you've heard these....

By the way, love those Stirings. Wish they were $2500!

David

Here is a list of some possibilities I compiled form other sources - any thoughts?

Technics Premium Class SB-C700E - WhatHiFi didn't like it much; other publications did...

Tekton Design Warranty

PSB Imagine T2 Tower

PSB Imagine T2 Tower (Dark Cherry) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Monitor Audio Silver 8

Monitor Audio Silver 8 (Rosenut) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

KEF Q900

https://www.amazon.com/KEF-Q900-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker-Black/dp/B00CE3LCS0

You have almost certainly never heard of these, the Bogdan Audio Art Deco, but at the price ($2,600.00 and I'm sure you could negotiate them down to $2500.00) they are stunning. At a large audio show a few years ago in in Detroit, these speakers stole the show against competitors at 2-3x the price. I purchased the pair from the show, and now, in my upstairs (office) system, they continue to amaze me at how well they can do everything, including all types of music. Not only are they brilliant nearfield, they also rocked the house in a huge room at the audio show where I first heard them.

Bogdan Audio Creations Art Deco Loudspeaker ReviewÂ*-Â*AVRev.com

JC

Guess you'd better not get a pair then eh?

PS. What would that recess give as far as sound to you?

PPS. Obviously you've heard these....

By the way, love those Stirings. Wish they were $2500!

They were actually $2200 ex-demo. :)

I would add PSB to the Harman group as a manufacturer who's products should be shortlisted.

The Harman Group? Surely you mean the Samsung Group :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

To the OP: the question is (IMO) too open ended. You need a bit more criteria.

For starters... does $2,500 have to be new (MRSP) price, or are you including $2,500 at discount and/or second hand prices?

Second... what sounds good in one room may sound poor in a different room so you need to have some idea of the environment. For example (taking a range I am familiar with) ... in absolute terms a pair of Bowers and Wilkins CM6s2 speakers (£1500) is "better" than a pair of 683s2 ... however in a larger room the 683s2 would sound much better.

(Or am I over thinking this?)

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

To the OP: the question is (IMO) too open ended. You need a bit more criteria.

For starters... does $2,500 have to be new (MRSP) price, or are you including $2,500 at discount and/or second hand prices?

Second... what sounds good in one room may sound poor in a different room so you need to have some idea of the environment. For example (taking a range I am familiar with) ... in absolute terms a pair of Bowers and Wilkins CM6s2 speakers (£1500) is "better" than a pair of 683s2 ... however in a larger room the 683s2 would sound much better.

(Or am I over thinking this?)

Are you sure about that? I've never gone for hard and fast rules when choosing speakers after hearing so many supposed room/speaker mismatches sound superb and so many "matches" fall flat.

Invariably I USUALLY find that a better speaker sounds better in a lot of different environments whereas the lesser one......well, sounds lesser and is actually pickier about placement, etc. and harder to have it sound its best.

David

Are you sure about that? I've never gone for hard and fast rules when choosing speakers after hearing so many supposed room/speaker mismatches sound superb and so many "matches" fall flat.

I didn't intend it to come across as a "hard and fast" rule... but generally the room / speaker interaction is (IMO) more important than what is the "best" speaker.

At more extreme cases yes the best speaker sounds best regardless of the room, but at $2500 you have to decide which compromises you're willing to accept.

(And yes in the specific example I think it's a valid comparison but isn't going to always be the case)

Eloise

---

I didn't intend it to come across as a "hard and fast" rule... but generally the room / speaker interaction is (IMO) more important than what is the "best" speaker.

At more extreme cases yes the best speaker sounds best regardless of the room, but at $2500 you have to decide which compromises you're willing to accept.

(And yes in the specific example I think it's a valid comparison but isn't going to always be the case)

I disagree. I have found that a speaker that someone likes (they are SUCH a personal choice) in a showroom will still be preferred in their own room. Yes, there are some (rare in my experience) room / speaker interactions that will change a speaker enough to make it unsuitable for certain rooms but I still think a better speaker will sound....better. The difference between floor standers and monitors is of course a completely different thing.

PS. In the spirit of being completely honest I don't care for either of the B&W's you are referring to so I may be the wrong person to comment on your comparison.

David

Actually a not good reviewer. He has amps for the winter, spring/fall and summer and his room off by his own admission. Remember anybody can be a reviewer.

I actually like his reviews - he does mostly cheap speakers, but is thorough, publishes measurements, and is not afraid to be honest when speakers don't sound good, which in itself is refreshing... as there are so many bad speakers out there especially in lower price points.

He did like the Elac B5, and the Pioneer BS22 (with some correction - I have the BS22 and feel the same way about them). He also has a sense of humor.

I actually like his reviews - he does mostly cheap speakers, but is thorough, publishes measurements, and is not afraid to be honest when speakers don't sound good, which in itself is refreshing... as there are so many bad speakers out there especially in lower price points.

He did like the Elac B5, and the Pioneer BS22 (with some correction - I have the BS22 and feel the same way about them). He also has a sense of humor.

Unifi is better than B5 , so I don't have much credence in his review .

I own both speakers .

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

OK, I have not heard either, but it just makes me wonder whether it is worth the price. Anyway, only one way of knowing is to listen to them.

Lets put it this way. I listened to both extensively and gave the B5's to my son in law. Great speaker just not as good as the Unifi speakers. The b5's are great for the money though.

Well it was my mistake of offering a $500 speaker for discussion in a thread of under $2500 speakers. I can't think of any $2499.99 speakers, although I bet the GoldenEars speakers may have a model that falls at that price point.

I haven't purchased a new pair of speakers since 1984. All have been used from that point.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Speaker Systems For $2,500.00

I have in the past, auditioned Magneplaner, B&W, KEF and Vandersteen.

All of these are VERY GOOD Speakers.

But as always in the end, it comes down to your likes, dislikes, tastes, biases.

And for me, when it comes down to what I like in the end, I tend to steer towards Vandersteen (Coherency, Spaciousness, Sense Of Height, Depth, Excellent Placement Of Instruments & Performers/Singers On Stage, Smooth Top-To-Bottom Frequency Cohesion, Extended Bass Response, Slight Roll Off In Higher Frequencies).

In my own music system, right now, I do have KEF's (Reference Series from the late 1980's to mid 1990's). They were my favorite at the time.

Were I to get new speakers today, I would definitely be getting Vandersteen 2C's. Either I would be getting a pair of older 2Ci's, 2Ce's or the more current 2Ce Signatures.

In a simplified system, I would do a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures with a Cambridge Audio 851A Azur Integrated Amplifier.

Otherwise, if I am more ambitious and want to push the envelope of the Vandies a little further, then I like the Vandies with a Bryston BP-26/Bryston 3B combo (when then, the Vandies will be on the brink of perfection to my ears).

--Charles--