IGNORED

What Are the Best Sounding Speakers UNDER $2,500 that You've Ever Heard.?

Ralf11

Out of all the speakers I've owned Aerial is what has stuck around the longest. If I had the room Maggies would be a consideration. I've also heard JMLab, Dali, Vandersteen, Von Schweikert and even a diy Fostex single driver setup that wowed me. I want to very clear here though and state that what I like is not right or wrong it's just one person's opinion.

ProAc, Celestion, all of the BBC endeavors (LS3/5A), PMC, etc.
Nobody loves to see LS3/5A praise more than I do - I still own and love the original pair I bought 40 years ago. But I have to be honest and admit that design and materials science have kinda caught up with the BBC. If I had to replace them on a budget of $2500, I'd almost certainly go for the ProAc SM100s (Maggies are also an old flame). Today's LS clones are at the same price point as the ProAcs and several other excellent speakers, but they simply don't have the flexibility and versatility of their modern competitors.

In 40 years, I've driven my Rogers with a wide range of electronics - HK Citation 2, Marantz 8b, Crown D150, Hafler 500, Yamaha B2, Alesis 100, multiple S70 clones, Mac 40s and 275, Wadia 151, PrimaLuna, etc. They've done well or better with all, but they have a limited dynamic range that leaves just a little of the bloom off the rose. I've heard the dreaded voice coil knock a few times over the years, especially with the Hafler (I know enough to stand by the volume knob when pushing the limits and crank it back at the first clunk). The character of reproduction is pure reality, and the sound quality is excellent. But when comparing my own recordings of my own Yamaha grand or my good acoustic guitars (made on my high speed Crown SX724 with good mikes) to the piano or guitar in the same room, the Rogers just sound a little bit "smaller" at the same measured SPL.

How nice! You'll get the lovely midrange with some extra extention at the top and bottom. Let us know how you like them.

I like em. I've probably owned 4-5 pair over the years and this pair is in beautiful condition sans a bit of corner bumps (thanks fedex). They sound true, solid, very natural, three dimensional, and with excellent natural low end (what there is of it - probably cuts off pretty rapidly after 50hz). If you can find an excellent condition pair around $750 (what I paid for them), I'd say grab them.

Not much at that price can touch them.

David

Nobody loves to see LS3/5A praise more than I do - I still own and love the original pair I bought 40 years ago. But I have to be honest and admit that design and materials science have kinda caught up with the BBC. If I had to replace them on a budget of $2500, I'd almost certainly go for the ProAc SM100s (Maggies are also an old flame). Today's LS clones are at the same price point as the ProAcs and several other excellent speakers, but they simply don't have the flexibility and versatility of their modern competitors.

In 40 years, I've driven my Rogers with a wide range of electronics - HK Citation 2, Marantz 8b, Crown D150, Hafler 500, Yamaha B2, Alesis 100, multiple S70 clones, Mac 40s and 275, Wadia 151, PrimaLuna, etc. They've done well or better with all, but they have a limited dynamic range that leaves just a little of the bloom off the rose. I've heard the dreaded voice coil knock a few times over the years, especially with the Hafler (I know enough to stand by the volume knob when pushing the limits and crank it back at the first clunk). The character of reproduction is pure reality, and the sound quality is excellent. But when comparing my own recordings of my own Yamaha grand or my good acoustic guitars (made on my high speed Crown SX724 with good mikes) to the piano or guitar in the same room, the Rogers just sound a little bit "smaller" at the same measured SPL.

What do you mean by "flexibility and versatility"?

In my opinion, tiny standmounts such as the LS3/5a have serious limitations both in low frequency extension and dynamics.

The LS5/9 and LS3/6 are more adequate for music reproduction, and modern versions by Graham Audio, Harbeth and Stirling use better drivers than the original versions.

I don't agree that similar ProAcs perform better than any of the aforementioned brands/models.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

In my opinion, tiny standmounts such as the LS3/5a have serious limitations both in low frequency extension and dynamics.

The LS5/9 and LS3/6 are more adequate for music reproduction, and modern versions by Graham Audio, Harbeth and Stirling use better drivers than the original versions.

I don't agree that similar ProAcs perform better than any of the aforementioned brands/models.

R

Those older LS5/9's are very good. Wouldn't mind finding a pair of those. Agree that the Proac's are in same league BUT....have heard the old Studio 1's sound amazing with good tubes behind them.

David

Those older LS5/9's are very good. Wouldn't mind finding a pair of those. Agree that the Proac's are in same league BUT....have heard the old Studio 1's sound amazing with good tubes behind them.

If you like the performance of the Studio 1s then you should really give the Harbeth SLH5+s and Stirling LS3/6s a try (I opted for the LS3/6s because I don't like the "sound" of hard-dome drivers).

Drive design and technology has improved a bit these past 20 years and the tonal balance is more neutral than the traditional Rogers sound.

R

R

You don't have to agree with me - there's room for multiple opinions here. We're all friends.

I don't think I used the word "perform" at all, but it's a good one here. A performance is an interpretation of an artist's work (I consider composers, choreographers, playwrights etc to be artists and their works art). Audio systems do interpret program material unless they're entirely without influence on it and present it exactly as played (which, I hope you'll agree, remains a fantasy at present).

Here's one example: ProAcs and others mentioned do pianissimo as well as LS3/5As and they do fortissimo better. In fact, LSs don't do fortissimo at all - the woofer voice coil bottoms. It's mechanical compression at a basic level and no different from a governor or rev limiter on a car.

Flexibility, to me, means consistent SQ regardless of environment, placement, poitioning, source, associated equipment, etc. LSs are rather sensitive to all. If you like DSP (which I do not), the Xover EQ makes it harder to dial in your preferences because you also have to dial out the internal "adjustments" . Etc etc etc.

Again: I LOVE my Rogers. But, like my wife & kids (all of whom I love even more), they're a wee bit demanding.

Martin-Logan Electromotion ESL - US$2500/pair

Magnepan MG-point 07 -US$1400 with optional bass panel US$2200

Either one will give you accurate, low distortion reproduction. Of course, at the price level you won't get that last octave of bass, but decent subwoofers which will get you to the low 30's to high 20's very reasonably. Just remember to buy two for best results (but if money is an issue, you could start with one and add a second later.).

Exactly!

volumio->RPi3->Modi 2->Quicksilver amps/ MartinLogan ESL speakers

• 1 month later...

These discussions make me HIGHLY suspicious of speakers, or the state of speaker technology in general.

Timbre, correctness, drive, phase, imaging, etc...no one talks about resolution! I understand that resolution is the hard part, is that why none of you guys talk about resolution in the high dollar speakers being mentioned? Then someone comments on how detail retrieval is an "illusion" (also heard a dealer describing resolution as "treble energy")...lol what? Resolution is the ability to hear details that aren't present in lesser resolving speakers...is that phenomena so rare to you guys that it doesn't really exist?

I have a pair of Chane 1.4s. They are $250 featuring split-gap woofers and ribbon tweeters. They are obviously tuned for voice and acoustic instruments -- they do a convincing job of center image filling, but not a convincing job at a wide (i.e., beyond the edge of the speakers) sound stage. Resolution....is vastly inferior to my Focal Utopia, TH900 and HE-6 headphones. The Chane guy said they are voiced using a 9W push-pull tube amp and said that a high-voltage tube amp would work best with the ribbons, which did make sense so I ordered a 845 SET amp from China (which is actually coming in Tuesday) so I'll see how they improve.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

These discussions make me HIGHLY suspicious of speakers, or the state of speaker technology in general.

Timbre, correctness, drive, phase, imaging, etc...no one talks about resolution! I understand that resolution is the hard part, is that why none of you guys talk about resolution in the high dollar speakers being mentioned? Then someone comments on how detail retrieval is an "illusion" (also heard a dealer describing resolution as "treble energy")...lol what? Resolution is the ability to hear details that aren't present in lesser resolving speakers...is that phenomena so rare to you guys that it doesn't really exist?

I have a pair of Chane 1.4s. They are $250 featuring split-gap woofers and ribbon tweeters. They are obviously tuned for voice and acoustic instruments -- they do a convincing job of center image filling, but not a convincing job at a wide (i.e., beyond the edge of the speakers) sound stage. Resolution....is vastly inferior to my Focal Utopia, TH900 and HE-6 headphones. The Chane guy said they are voiced using a 9W push-pull tube amp and said that a high-voltage tube amp would work best with the ribbons, which did make sense so I ordered a 845 SET amp from China (which is actually coming in Tuesday) so I'll see how they improve.

It is not rare, but a trade off many forego. One word- electrostatic.

And there is nothing to be suspicious about, speakers are just the hardest part of the puzzle.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

If a speaker is voiced with a SET, steer clear.

I suggest that you compare your Focal phones with equivalent range Focal speakers; you may find that the difference is far less marked.

R

Also on the topic of things I'm incredibly suspicious about is if Magnepans are SO great why does no one else make planar speakers and why do they not make Stereophile's stop rankings? That strongly suggests they have severe shortcomings which makes them uncompetitive with normal box speakers.

Also on the topic of things I'm incredibly suspicious about is if Magnepans are SO great why does no one else make planar speakers and why do they not make Stereophile's stop rankings? That strongly suggests they have severe shortcomings which makes them uncompetitive with normal box speakers.

maggies did nothing for me, even in a highend showroom..i don't get it either. they sounded nice, but not nearly as dynamic as the b&w 800 series...i don't get what all the hoopla is with either maggies or vandersteens. I have yet to try a few speakers though that i care to...psb imagine, revel, even golden ear....but i haven't heard anything yet i like better than b&w except for some 50K+ speakers. I also want to remember the name of some small bookshelves i heard at a ces show...i am thinking they were aerial, amphion, or something that began with an A. I also liked electrostats, but don't want amplified speakers...but they sounded great. I will continue to try more and more speakers, but nothing has toppled my b&w off yet....i am sure something will eventually.

Keeping to something somewhat recent, and something I have heard, I would suggest the recently discontinued Revel Concerta F12 speakers.

I have heard Vandy 2C variants. Terrific speakers for the price. Have heard and owned various Maggies which also can be excellent speakers for the price. The F12 is better than those. And for $1500 when discontinued last year. Revel has replaced those with the F35, which assuming is an improvement, go for $1500 or the F36 which goes for $2K/pair. Obviously there are more speakers than any one person has heard in or near the $2500/pair price range. These I suggest are seriously good items in my experience. Revel/JBL/Infinity/Harman are onto something good with their design methodology. If this is your market, you should audition these before making a decision.

I own Soundlabs, and have experience of several Wilsons and other more expensive speakers. So this isn't a suggestion without experience of some more expensive gear. I might have a rep of thinking most modern gear sounds similar, but that isn't my opinion of speakers. Speakers is where the money should go and are what will limit your listening pleasure and experience. Modern quality speakers is where the real tangible improvements have accrued.

I see revel f206 locally for $2K...i wonder how they compare to the f36 you speak so highly of?

After reading all these good comments (thank you for them), I remain convinced that personal preferences in music genres and all aspects of sound quality are paramount. My favorites speakers are always controversial on such forums: New Form Research R645V2. They combine ten feet and one hundred pounds worth of wonderfully dispersive ribbon tweeters with good active drivers, but require a bit of tweaking with a digital crossover. The combination of electrostatic with conventional drivers is a good mix for me. I've not found any others at any price point (mine were $2500 when purchased, no doubt more now) that satisfy my need for depth of field and resolution in acoustic music, especially intimate vocals. But certainly, they're not for everyone.

A few ideas:

They require quite good amplification;

Not easy to place in a room;

Do not excel in terms of impact or low frequencies reproduction (adding a couple of very good subs makes a lot of sense);

Difficult to see how a competitor could make a better quasi-ribbon product at a lower price;

And finally...Who cares about Stereophile's rankings?

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.-

Groucho Marx

After reading all these good comments (thank you for them), I remain convinced that personal preferences in music genres and all aspects of sound quality are paramount.

I am also convinced that musical preferences influence people's choices and sets the level of their expectations.

To this one must also add music and sonic/technical culture.

This is why I don't think that audio should be discussed according to taste; it is performance (accurate reproduction of the recorded signal) that we should be focusing on.

R

Folks also don't really realize how important the rest of the chain really is until they hear true top end gear. As many of us have stated earlier in this thread (some folks just haven't read all the posts as we had a long exchange on detail being so important), it all depends on the trade offs that any designer must make at any price level.

We all listen differently and that's why it's all good. The only posts that I always disregard are the ones that say theirs speakers are the best or things along that line. We all have favorites obviously. It's all good

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile