IGNORED

Should I get this sub for my wife for our 20th anniversary?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31069[/ATTACH]

It is half price at MuzakDirect today.

It would match my other one, except it is white ($200 more for the black one).

Someone once told me, if you are asking someone else, "should I get X for our anniversary" then don't ask. It should be obvious the answer is no.

As a practical matter, the photons hitting the white one will create different pressure on the surface than when light falls on the black one. This will set up a tiny amount of channel to channel jitter. Your wife will not be happy.

Further, running a pair of subs in mono can be better than stereo. Placing them in different parts of the room can give some control over room nodes in the lower frequencies. Done well and with luck you can put them where you never see one at the same time as the other. So the color differences won't matter. Room nodes can be evened out resulting in smoother bass response at the listening seat.

So yes, your wife couldn't be happier than if you get her that sub for her anniversary. Congrats on the 20 years together. May you have 80 more to follow.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

When she said she wanted a "sub" are you sure she didn't mean a "substitute?" Sorry, couldn't resist. If I got my wife a subwoofer as a present, she would probably want a sub for me... Happy 20th!

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I would get two white ones and get rid of the black as they will match the room decor better. That's the safest route.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Should I get this sub for my wife for our 20th anniversary?

Why don't you ask your wife to offer it to you?I don't know of a single woman who would be happy to receive a sub...

You could get her something nice.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

From a far distant view I may suggest it may have been neither a substitute nor a subwoofer ...

A foot long sandwich? :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Not if you want a 21st! :-)

Larry (who will be celebrating our 46th in two weeks)

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

If she is a ZEN Lady you can go to the Yin / Yan , Black / White argument.

Won't this affect sub-bass balance perception on sighted auditions?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

A sub that looks like a kitchen appliance? Really?

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

A sub that looks like a kitchen appliance? Really?

I'm not sure buying her a kitchen appliance would go down any better than buying her a sub(woofer) though...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Well, it has arrived. It is being held at the local Fed Exp facility, as our delivery guy is a bit ... challenged. (He left a bike wheelset that cost more than this thing at someone else's house because he transposed the address, for example.)

I'm afraid to bring it into the house. I'll have to create a distraction, or maybe tell her it is a new wireless router.