IGNORED

Horrible newbie question.

I'm looking for the following dream situation, and am having trouble finding the answer since I don't even know how to phrase the question, let alone phrase it in google-speak.

I'd like to store all my digital music (ripped discs and downloaded files) in a way that allows me to feed it to two separate systems, different songs/albums at the same time. I have ethernet throughout the house for delivery.

System 1 is a high-end 2-channel set up with a DAC that can handle almost everything as long as it's delivered by optical or coaxial digital.

System 2 is a mid-fi 7.1 channel set up that can handle anything delivered digitally, probably ethernet too.

So I guess I'm looking for a NAS box, and an app for iPad or iPhone that can control it on two separate systems?

I suppose I need to translate from ethernet to optical or coaxial as well.

I've looked at music servers but they all have DACs which I feel like I don't need to pay for since I already have two. But if there is one that can do what I'd like it to I guess I'd consider it.

What am I missing here?

Is there a better way to do it?

Educate me! And please be gentle...

Mac Pro>Esoteric SA-50>Bel Canto PRe2-P>Bel Canto S300 x2>KEF 201/2[br]Also Rega P7 + Dynavector Karat 17D mk2

I'm looking for the following dream situation, and am having trouble finding the answer since I don't even know how to phrase the question, let alone phrase it in google-speak.

I'd like to store all my digital music (ripped discs and downloaded files) in a way that allows me to feed it to two separate systems, different songs/albums at the same time. I have ethernet throughout the house for delivery.

System 1 is a high-end 2-channel set up with a DAC that can handle almost everything as long as it's delivered by optical or coaxial digital.

System 2 is a mid-fi 7.1 channel set up that can handle anything delivered digitally, probably ethernet too.

So I guess I'm looking for a NAS box, and an app for iPad or iPhone that can control it on two separate systems?

I've looked at music servers but they all have DACs which I feel like I don't need to pay for since I already have two. But if there is one that can do what I'd like it to I guess I'd consider it.

What am I missing here?

Check out the Denon Heos system:

HEOS by Denon is a Wireless Multi-Room Sound System comprising a family of great-sounding products for your whole home. There is a free app to control them from your iOS, Android or Kindle phone or tablet. You can enjoy your favorite streaming music services, internet radio or your own music collection and set-up is a breeze.

If you don't use hirez files version one is on sale:

HEOS HEOS Link Gen1 Wireless Pre-Amplifier | Accessories4less

If you use hirez you want version 2.

What am I missing here?

There are different ways to do this, but if it were me I would buy 2 microRendus (Sonore - microRendu), one for each system. If your budget allows for it, I would get 2 Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supplies (UltraCap™ LPS-1 – UpTone Audio), one to power each microRendu.

Looks like your Esoteric SA-50 does USB, but because of when it came out (and based on this review: Esoteric SA-50 CD/SACD Player and DAC (TAS 203) | The Absolute Sound), I think you'd be much better off with a USB to SPDIF converter. The Singxer F-1 is currently my favorite (especially with an LPS-1 powering the microRendu) and is a real bargain at about $200-215. I don't know anything about your 7.1 system or whether it has a USB input, but my guess is that the F-1 would be beneficial for it too.

The microRendus are very versatile (see the different modes available) and can easily stream music from a NAS, a computer or from the Internet (Tidal, etc.).

Hi tzed

Sounds fine to me. The device you are after for system 1 is a network audio file player, aka renderer, aka streamer. From the clues you've given, your current system 2 device may already have a streamer built-in. However, you'd best give the make & model details of the multichannel device(s) you have (AVR perhaps?) to be certain.

Budget?

What audio file formats & resolutions do you intend to network stream from the NAS?

Are you ok to build your own streamer (can be the cheapest option, with very minor software & hardware tinkering required) or does it have to be off the shelf?

Is playing the same audio files concurrently and in sync on the two sytems a requirement?

The NAS (especially the server software you can run on it) and the iOS controller app may be determined by the streamers you are using for systems 1 & 2, so it'll best to tackle those first.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I'll check those out, thanks for the recommendations.

The SA-50 does have a USB-in but as you point out it only accepts 44/16 so it's not ideal.

No USB-in on the Marantz AV-7005 at all.

Mac Pro>Esoteric SA-50>Bel Canto PRe2-P>Bel Canto S300 x2>KEF 201/2[br]Also Rega P7 + Dynavector Karat 17D mk2

System 1 has a DAC, the Esoteric SA-50 which can handle up to DSD. The files I will feed it are mostly ALAC ripped from disc right now, eventually those will be AIFF. There are also MP3s from the web, and some hi-rez files from various on-line stores, but since I don't have an easy way to get them to either system I haven't listened to them enough to know if I want to continue buying them or stick to discs...

System 2 is a Marantz AV-7005 which also has digital imputs (no USB) and ethernet. It can decode pretty much everything, except maybe 2x and 4xDSD or things newer than 2014 or so.

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

That Sonore thing you mentioned looks interesting but USB out means I'm buying another box (or two actually) and 3 cables (six), so I'll probably keep looking for one-box solution.

But thanks for the suggestion!

That Sonore thing you mentioned looks interesting but USB out means I'm buying another box (or two actually) and 3 cables (six), so I'll probably keep looking for one-box solution.

But thanks for the suggestion!

First question is what software are you using to stream from your mac pro? The marantz will show up as an airplay end point (if you're using iTunes) or will also do DLNA so you really don't NEED anything to get it connected. Your two channel system is a different story. Downside of iTunes is you can't stream different things to different locations in the house.

If you haven't already tried Roon I can't speak highly enough about it. IMHO it blows the competition away with it's interface and capabilities (optimized to deal with networked components, ability to stream bit perfect DSD, handling of any file type, etc.). The downside is you need Roon endpoints. There are plenty of reviews of it so just do a little research or try the demo version and see what you think.

For endpoints I too would suggest the Microrendu for the two channel system and the Sonicorbitor for the HTS. The Sonicorbitor is half the price for 90% of the performance and it has a TOSLINK output that you can feed your AV-7005 and you can avoid the other components/cables.

You may just start with one Sonicorbitor and see what you think when connected to your two channel system. Roon will see Airplay end points so your Marantz based HTS would still be connected and you could could try it out the Sonicorbitor as and end point for your 2 channel system. I've got one connected as the source for Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 in my bedroom and it's still pretty amazing.

Your two channel system sounds like it might ultimately be in need of a DAC that is capable of hi-res files. You can spend the extra $$ on the microrendu and find a new DAC that will accept USB in ... or live with the Esoteric DAC in the short term (and listen to with redbook quality files) and wait until more DACs are available that support MQA (possibly the future of streaming). The Chord DACs are my personal favs, but everybody has their preferences. There are also a lot more Roon ready products coming available (Auralic Aries, etc.).

You can run Roon on your mac for the core (i.e. the "server") or get a dedicated box to serve/store your library. Sonore has a bundle that provides the 'computer' which is optimized as a music server and runs roon with a microrendu. You just store your music library on a NAS (any NAS will do .. Roon will find it) or on a USB connected drive. I'm still using a mac mini as a HTPC and I find the it works just fine since it's effectively isolated from my AV gear with Sonore products.

Good luck.