IGNORED

Best Sounding Diana Krall?

If I only wanted one download of a Diana Krall album, which would be the best overall sounding album? Please let me know if it is in PCM or DSD, as well as where the best download site for the album would be.

I think that the consensus would seem to be her "Live in Paris", but please let me know.

Thank you......

Live in Paris is a great album but I don't think it's available as a HR download.

My favorite Diana Krall album is The Girl In The Next Room which is available as a download from AcousticSounds, HDtracks, ProStudioMasters, and Qobuz according to:

Find HD music | Search Results | girl in the next room

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

The Girl in the Other Room is my favourite Diana Krall album too, but for pure sound quality, I think The Look of Love might have the edge. It's available from HDTracks in 24/96 or 24/192, as I recall. I haven't heard it in DSD.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

The thing with DK and all others who try to imitate Astrud Gilberto is that it sounds too forced.

Dusty sings Bacharach's Bossa-leaning songs well though (not saying that Dusty was imitating Astrud).

I thought DK's Live in Paris album sounded good for a Live one.

We have a few of the studio albums, but as you can now see, I prefer listening to the source: Vinicius de Moraes, Joao and Astrud Gilberto, Jobim, and Dusty's 'The Look of Love' is second to none - all others are pale attempts.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

The thing with DK and all others who try to imitate Astrud Gilberto is that it sounds too forced.

Dusty sings Bacharach's Bossa-leaning songs well though (not saying that Dusty was imitating Astrud).

We have a few of the studio albums, but as you can now see, I prefer listening to the source: Vinicius de Moraes, Joao and Astrud Gilberto, Jobim, and Dusty's 'The Look of Love' is second to none - all others are pale attempts.

All very true, but I think the question was "What is the best sounding Diana Krall album", not "Who is the best female jazz/pop/bossa nova singer?"

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

... which would be the best overall sounding album? .....

If you are a listener, best sounding album means: Where do I get the most goosebumps, which album opens my heart widest, where do my eyes get wet? You already have the answer " Live in Paris ". "A case of you" is a track I have listened hundreds of times and will do even more so. To judge its not so good because not available as HiRes sounds ... strange to me.

Even as technician and some education in sound engineering I frankly dont give a damn for best sounding but less interesting records/files. Older members may recall the piano playing of Lincoln Mayorga on "Direct to Disc" Recordings. I prefer Friedrich Gulda on an upright bar piano recorded on cassette tape if available. And because Im in a good mood , I dont refer to the DSD catalogs available ...

All very true, but I think the question was "What is the best sounding Diana Krall album", not "Who is the best female jazz/pop/bossa nova singer?"

What's the more important question?

I'd take a better recording of Astrud over trying to find a better recording of DK any day.

Besides, I already replied that I thought the Live in Paris album sounded good, so what's your problem?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Oh yes!!

The Girl in the Other Room is my favourite Diana Krall album too, but for pure sound quality, I think The Look of Love might have the edge. It's available from HDTracks in 24/96 or 24/192, as I recall. I haven't heard it in DSD.

For my ears no audio quality can compensate for boredom, wich is the mental state that most DK performances bring to me.

But, from all the mentioned, "The Girl in The Other Room" sounds very good and is, in my opinion, DK best album to date.

I'm not a Diana Krall expert, but I think the early albums are probably more audiophile (= natural) sounding.

With super star jazz/pop vocalists like Krall or Norah Jones, the recording producers tend to use the same mastering gimmicks as for pop records, with a lot of post-processing on vocals and acoustic instruments.

I don't remember which Diana Krall album it was, but I listed to one more recent recording some time ago, and was surprised by how unnatural the voice sounded, compared to the "pure" jazz vocalist recordings I was used to. No "in your room" feeling at all.

Claude

I prefer Cassandra Wilson for example.

Her "New Moon Daughter" is a great album for audiophile tests after a gear change or tweak: the bass regions are quite rich in some tracks and can easily be muddies on less than stellar systems. I am thinking here of "Love is Blindness" and "Death Letter" if I remember correctly.

I'm no fan of covers, but her 'Harvest Moon' cover of Neil Young's song is quite brilliant as well.

My girlfriend prefers DK to Cassandra though: she finds Cassandra's voice too deep for her liking, so I offered her plenty of DK albums and two Cassandra Wilson albums (plus numerous other jazzy albums from the likes of Melody Gardot and others).

Me: spent a good portion of the morning yesterday listening to Jobim, Astrud, Getz/Gilberto, Dusty singing Bacharach.

'Corcovado'...

Try to find the documentary on Vinicius de Moraes - it gives a lot of insight on the man and there's also a hilarious anecdote about alcohol in it as well.

For my ears no audio quality can compensate for boredom, wich is the mental state that most DK performances bring to me.

I am of a similar mind; Astrud has a natural slight low-key tone which goes with the nonchalance of De Moraes' environment at the time, she actually lived and breathed with these guys.

The issue is when others try to imitate that off-key singing... it doesn't sound very natural at all. For me, DK, like many others try, but do not reach there.

But that suavity which goes with Bacharach's Bossa-inspired works, Dusty has it.

I am of a similar mind; Astrud has a natural slight low-key tone which goes with the nonchalance of De Moraes' environment at the time, she actually lived and breathed with these guys.

The issue is when others try to imitate that off-key singing... it doesn't sound very natural at all. For me, DK, like many others try, but do not reach there.

But that suavity which goes with Bacharach's Bossa-inspired works, Dusty has it.

I guess you would probably enjoy Rosa Passos...

I guess you would probably enjoy Rosa Passos...

I will check her out, thanks for the recommendation.

Just a thanks to all of you thread posters - I don't know Ms. Krall at all but realized I could waste some time today by trading in Stones and other CDs for something else. When I couldn't find anything on my 10 page list of obscure music, I grabbed The Girl in the Other Next Room.

Wallflower is very 'audiophile' sounding. Shame about the music itself... ;-( It's available as a 24/44.1 download from Qobuz, among other places.

If you like Diana Krall, you should give Patricia Barber a listen. She's the 'high priestess' of Jazz IMO, and from an 'audiophile' perspective 'Modern Cool' blows everything recorded by Diana Krall out of the water (especially on BR-A).

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk