IGNORED

How many bits, how fast, just how much resolution is enough?

BlueSkyy

as for bewildering options - I find it pretty simple: I start with redbook and avoid lossy compression (maybe the psychoacoustic models for lossy are fine, but the cost to me is about zip to have non-compressed redbook).

Now, once I have the music I want on redbook; I look at the particular things that others say sound a lot better than what I already have. I don't buy it if it costs $100 for a CDRSACDHDCDwhatever, but if it is something I really want and costs me $20 or $30 then why not?

I figure (as per some above posts I made) that I am most likely buying better recording techniques, remastering, etc. but I don't care. If it really IS bit rate or bit depth, that's fine too and eventually the world will be re-Ponocized.

This is basically where I am with Hi-Res. I am -very- happy with quality recordings whether they come from Tidal, a CD rip or a Hi-Res d/l. I currently run everything through Roon, up-converted to DxD (or DSD128) in HQ Player and sent to my µR-->DAC. I'm hesitant to pay more than the CD price for a Hi-res version unless that particular version is not available otherwise.