IGNORED

Classical Music for Those Who'd Love to Love it, but Never Learned it.

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

In my childhood classical music was streamed through the day from a single program plastic item on every Soviet family kitchen (Orwell was very precise in depicting this) and rock music available only for owners of expensive short wave radios, transmissions were jammed severely. Consequentially, I was listening to Chopin much earlier than to Led Zeppelin.

Have you ever read a story by Josef Skvorecky entitled "Red Music?"  If not, I think you might enjoy it.

Edit: Oh, and "The Bass Saxophone" by him as well.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

20 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

In my childhood classical music was streamed through the day from a single program plastic item on every Soviet family kitchen (Orwell was very precise in depicting this) and rock music available only for owners of expensive short wave radios, transmissions were jammed severely. Consequentially, I was listening to Chopin much earlier than to Led Zeppelin.

I'd probably hate Chopin if I were you after such no-choice musical early education xD

But I also think those plastic kitchen items were the reason why so many people in your country were into designing tube gear which simply sounded better (probably better than most of available solid state gear too). Not mentioning availability of very good tubes (some of them used in MIG fighter planes) - I still remember the sound of 6c33c triodes. And their cool looks.

6c33c_amp.jpg

13 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I'd probably hate Chopin if I were you after such no-choice musical early education xD

But I also think those plastic kitchen items were the reason why so many people in your country were into designing tube gear which simply sounded better (probably better than most of available solid state gear too). Not mentioning availability of very good tubes (some of them used in MIG fighter planes) - I still remember the sound of 6c33c triodes. And their cool looks.

6c33c_amp.jpg

Quite opposite, it was a school of great music in excellent performances. Even though variety was very limited, but performers, such as Emil Gileles and David Oistrach were top of the top. Sound was very basic, but it probably taught me to avoid dependence from sound quality and now I enjoy many archive recordings without any reservations. Also, we had lot of classical music and opera on state TV. 

Yes, many people were designing pieces of equipment at home, also because availability of good audio was close to non existent. Soviet tubes were ok, however not so fabulously sounding as NOS Telefunken – it was my top choice in the years of tube amps...)

• 5 months later...
On 22/11/2016 at 6:18 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - I'm writing a review right now about a product and used some classical music during the review. In the review I describe my absolute idiocy with respect to classical music. I'd love to love it, but I don't understand it. It seems so untouchable to a peasant like myself.

I started thinking that CA really needs a series of articles educating people like me in classical music.

Question:

Is anyone willing to write, by themselves or with someone else, a series of articles to educate people about classical music (with a bent toward audiophiles)? I would love to publish these on the front page and put them in the CA Academy as a great reference for a long time.

Questions, comments, concerns? Post here or private message me here.

This book featured on Radio 4 might be interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05jg128

Edit: here's the link to the store

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YEAR-WONDER-Classical-Music-Every/dp/1472251822

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)