IGNORED

Classical Music for Those Who'd Love to Love it, but Never Learned it.

I don't know what it is that makes people love some genres of music and not others. It's no more necessary to "understand" classical music in order to love it than it is to understand Rock or Jazz. Admittedly, some classical music has immediate appeal and other pieces become more enjoyable with familiarity.

For example, everyone seems to love Massenet's Meditation from Thais as soon as they hear it.

Chris, is there no piece of classical music that just gives you pleasure when you hear it?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Howard Goodall's "Big Bangs" is a very accessible series of videos on major developments which shaped classical music:

As is the accompanying book:

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Bangs-Howard-Goodall-ebook/dp/B005G37S4W/ref=sr_1_13?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1479853084&sr=1-13&keywords=goodall

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I really like some classical, but I barely know what instruments are being played, let alone how they are arranged on the stage etc... I also don't understand even the simplest things such the different parts of a track (I know that's the wrong word).

Chris, if you can nominate some piece of classical music which you already like, then it might be possible for some of the more knowledgeable people on this forum to analyze it's structure, instrumentation, etc.

- Einstein

I'm a melody guy. Here's one of my top 10 in the emotion category. Still gets to me after hundreds of listenings.

You don't need to be a musician or music insider to appreciate it.

So true Coot, put this on and no words or understanding are needed. It's just this German dude from 200 years ago speaking straight to your heart.

- Einstein