IGNORED

List some good DACs that have balanced outputs & built in headphone amp

OP here... Sorry, been away for a bit.

All I can say is WOW!! Thanks for all the input everyone! Head-Fi only got one reply to my thread.

For those that were commenting on my choice of HD800's... I was only using them as a example of "epic class" set of headphones I'm considering. I was also thinking about a set of Beyerdynamic Tesla. Though I don't think I'll get them anytime soon. More along the lines of "a few years from now I might upgrade".

I guess to narrow things down...

I need all in one DAC to work for me now as I'm on a bit of a budget. My price ceiling (MAX) is $650. Again, it needs to do two things:

#1 - XLR Balanced out that will go to my powered studio monitors. The volume control on the front panel must be able to control volume on the XLR outputs.

#2 - great headphone amp that will hold me over for a while and also power a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 ohm version).

I have the BD 990 myself and it plays wel with the ifi iDSD.

I have heard a Tesla T90 demo unit that was 1 year old and it was stellar. Then I heard a new one and it sounded bad. They apparently have a long break in period.

Hey pwrjam,

I'm such a sucker for new (and old) Schiit gear...soo musical and strong, no weaknesses, just superb. The Jotunheim/Modi-multibit combo is exactly $650 and the quality...sigh. I know they are two pieces but the Mimby dac is *tiny*!

I really hope you look hard at that combo...take a look at the _insanely_ rave reviews for both units at Head-Fi and Superbestaudiofriends.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I now bought the Lindemann Musicbook, because in my opinion it is the best buy for the money.

It has XLR out, class A headphone out, USB DSD128 and 4 digital inputs and two analog inputs. The output is fixed or variable. In fact, it can be a full preamp.

DAC chip is the Asahi Kasei AKM4490. I heard the dac on different audio shows and I am addicted :)

The DAC comes in different versions, with a CD drive or a network streamer as an add-on.

P.S.: Sorry, I did not see your price limit. Forget my recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

• 2 weeks later...
Those aren't headphones. They are head mounted loud speakers :-)

Any way the DC-1 has a killer HP section that will drive almost anything out there and is $499. The TEAC UD 50x is a great DAC. Remember TEAC also owns Esoteric. They've got the chops.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Been listening to the Busker channel on YouTube all day. That's been really enjoyable.

If you think that, check out the Ergo AMT HPs at Precide ($1200)

I am listening to it now with the ifi idsd Micro and the ergo AMP1 ($50)...woah Mamma...It destroys my BeyerDynamic DT990. Not even close! I have to go match it to the amp 2 to hear the full potential and get the adapter to enable me to attach to the speaker ports of my integrated amp.