IGNORED

Get Your AirPort Express Before They're Gone

The AirPort Express has been a very cool tool over the years. Sure, many devices have AirPlay embedded now, but the Express has remained a good tool for some situations. If you need one now or mught in the future, I suggest yuo get it now.

Apple Abandons Development of Wireless Routers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-21/apple-said-to-abandon-development-of-wireless-routers-ivs0ssec

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Personally, I have been using Airport routers for awhile now, but, with mesh networks like Eero and others coming out, once you go mesh you are never turning back. Even easier and much better than Apple, which was always my first choice. I have tried so many routers, wifi, etc, but nothing to date, for me, has beat the Eero. Plus Eero just released their new TrueMesh software that supposedly increases LAN speed 2x.

... including the Airport Extreme.

The only wireless router I have ever had that didn't require rebooting.

Apple sure seems to be dropping the ball a lot.

I agree on the ball drop.

I've had every model of AirPort for the last 10 years and agree with you on the rock solid stability of them.

I recently purchased a very fast ASUS WiFi unit that looks like it came out of a Sci-Fi movie. It's fast, but not as stable as the Apple units.

I also have an enterprise Ruckus Wireless network in place and that is absolutely flawless. But, the price is up there as well.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

It's not just a wireless router.

I have used an Airport Express and W4S Remedy to transmit Digital Concert Hall concerts of the Berlin Philharmonic to my W4S DSDseDAC2. I have also used this combination for Medici TV. I watch the concerts on my iPad.

This has been the best sounding, most reliable solution for me.

It's a shame Apple is abandoning it.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Although the Eero looks like a good wireless solution, I have used up all four Ethernet ports on each of my 5 Extremes to connect local hardwired devices. The Eero has only two Ethernet ports, one in and one out. Is there a product out there that really matches the current Extreme in both capabilities and ease of use?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Although the Eero looks like a good wireless solution, I have used up all four Ethernet ports on each of my 5 Extremes to connect local hardwired devices. The Eero has only two Ethernet ports, one in and one out. Is there a product out there that really matches the current Extreme in both capabilities and ease of use?

You can simply tack on a 5 or 8 port gigabit switch to a Eero and off you go. They are cheap too.

David

Ugh, a real bummer. I echo the others here who have found Apple's Airport Extremes to be very fast and rock-solid. I sure hope the other consumer router manufacturers have improved their products in the last 3-5 years, because honestly the last time I tried them I found them to be absolute junk compared to Apple's devices.

Staples is selling the 2TB Time Capsule for $100 off, making it the same $200 price as an Airport Extreme Base Station. It is identical to the Extreme base station with the addition of an internal HDD that's useful for Time Machine backups (rather than backing up your music library).

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Of course Google is going to find their products better and maybe they are, but I would wait for independent verification. The other issue to remember, that when Eero was first tested by PCMag and garnered only 3.5 stars it was on one it's first firmware upgrades. Likewise, I doubt Google tested Eero with the latest Eero firmware, but as I said above, it is rock solid, no drops and my throughput has substantially increased with the release of the last few versions. In the far corners of my home, I am getting almost full speed on the net and transfer from my NAS are limited only by the bandwidth of the NAS.