IGNORED

Vintage McIntosh amp and Tannoy speakers, best option for streaming from Mac?

I have an old McIntosh 6100 integrated amp and Tannoy d300 floor speakers. We used to play CDs through the Marantz CD changer, but the convenience of streaming from iTunes is pretty irresistible. We also stream Apple Music. However we are tired of poor quality sound. It's frustrating, as you all well know.

our CD collection is ripped to the higher fidelity Apple format (blanking right now on name), and stored on the desktop in another room. We have good wifi signal, and are just using Apple Express airplay right into the McIntosh.

I'm trying to figure out a better way. I've heard of JRiver, read a bit about DACs, been curious about Tidal - but it's a steep learning curve.

We tend towards classic jazz, jazz, world.

any suggestions for further reading or gear? Budget under $1000 for sure, $500 is better. It's doubtful we're moving to a turntable. Are we better off just going back to CDs?

I have an old McIntosh 6100 integrated amp and Tannoy d300 floor speakers. We used to play CDs through the Marantz CD changer, but the convenience of streaming from iTunes is pretty irresistible. We also stream Apple Music. However we are tired of poor quality sound. It's frustrating, as you all well know.

our CD collection is ripped to the higher fidelity Apple format (blanking right now on name), and stored on the desktop in another room. We have good wifi signal, and are just using Apple Express airplay right into the McIntosh.

I'm trying to figure out a better way. I've heard of JRiver, read a bit about DACs, been curious about Tidal - but it's a steep learning curve.

We tend towards classic jazz, jazz, world.

any suggestions for further reading or gear? Budget under $1000 for sure, $500 is better. It's doubtful we're moving to a turntable. Are we better off just going back to CDs?

I would look at a DAC between the computer and the amp. This will provide better sound quality than Airplay in my opinion.

I enjoy the ROON app because it curates both my ripped CD collection, as well as my Tidal favourites.

One option is to look at buying an Oppo BDP-105D player. Not only does it have a very nice sounding DAC for your red book CDs, it can play SACDs as well. It also has an option to work as a USB DAC which means you can connect your computer and use the player as a DAC out to your amp. It's a little higher in the budget but maybe worth it for the flexibility it will give you and the quality music. You can continue to play CDs or you play any other media file as you wish. I've listen to a a lot of DACs in my day and honestly your Marantz may still end up sounding better then most DACs in the 500 dollar range. For your budget I would try a few different ones (crutchfields return policy is excellent for auditioning audio equipment...60 day returns...flat fee return shipping...I think 10 bucks) In my view you can't go wrong with the Oppo. You maybe able to demo the Oppo at your local bestbuy. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile