IGNORED

What multi-channel DAC are you using for active crossovers in Acourate?

jburtt

I'm about to convert my system to computer based, using Acourate for 2 way active crossover and room correction. I have most of my music on hard drive already and a spare Lenovo thinkpad i-5, 8gb with SSD I would like to use, unless someone gives me a good reason not to. I have a 45 stereo amp and 2A3 stereo amp I will be using on my 2 way 15" high efficiency speakers.

Back in the day of desktop PC's, I built my own machines. I've also built my own tube amplifiers and added tube outputs to my CD Players. I read about the Acourate software and the excellent results people have had with it, but haven't experienced it personally. I've looked at the Lynx Aurora 8 and the Lynx Hilo, but don't know why one would be better than the other.

Please share your experiences and the hardware you're using.

James

Frisco, Texas

I don't have any, but a couple of multi-channel DACs you could consider are:

1. The exaSound DACs

2. The Merging NADAC & HAPI

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I would also recommend investigating HQ Player for processing, especially with its DSD processing abilities.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I would also recommend investigating HQ Player for processing, especially with its DSD processing abilities.

I have been working with HQP doing multichannel with a NADAC. My major problem have been getting a computer powerful enough to be able to upconvert DSD64 to DSD256 in multichannel.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Thanks for the input guys.

HQPlayer is one of the players I conitnue to see referenced here, so I will have to give it a close look when I get to that point. I've looked at some of the interfaces above and they all look like nice pieces. I also see many using and speaking highly of the Lynx Hilo, which I've seen in the pre-owned market for around $1500-$1700. Does anyone know if there have been recent revisions in the Hilo which would justify the extra cost of going new?

I'll have to send dallasjustice a pm to see if he's open to a phone call to discuss this wonderful world of pc based technology. I'm sure he could help me through the learning curve, especially when it comes to setting up Acourates digital crossover capabilities.

James

I have been working with HQP doing multichannel with a NADAC. My major problem have been getting a computer powerful enough to be able to upconvert DSD64 to DSD256 in multichannel.

It needs quite a hefty machine for the processing-heavy task like DSD-to-higher-rate-DSD for sure.

Look into also getting an NVIDIA GPU card for offloading some of the processing.

I haven't tried the GPU processing myself yet though.

Hi James,

I use Acourate and Lynx Hilo. I purchased the Hilo in 2012 and its firmware can be updated, so pre-owned is fine. I very happy with the SQ of the Hilo and I use it in a 3 way active solution here: Computer Audiophile - Advanced Acourate Digital XO Time Alignment Driver Linearization Walkthrough

If that seems daunting, no worries, I wrote a detailed step by step guide here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FURPS40/ Click on Look Inside to view the table of contents and read the first couple of chapters.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Mitch

It needs quite a hefty machine for the processing-heavy task like DSD-to-higher-rate-DSD for sure.

Look into also getting an NVIDIA GPU card for offloading some of the processing.

I haven't tried the GPU processing myself yet though.

My suggestion for HQPlayer doing multi-channel processing in DSD is simply a single cpu core for each channel. An 8-12 core cpu is what is required.

My suggestion for HQPlayer doing multi-channel processing in DSD is simply a single cpu core for each channel. An 8-12 core cpu is what is required.

Good to know. Thanks bibo01.

I'm about to convert my system to computer based, using Acourate for 2 way active crossover and room correction. I have most of my music on hard drive already and a spare Lenovo thinkpad i-5, 8gb with SSD I would like to use, unless someone gives me a good reason not to. I have a 45 stereo amp and 2A3 stereo amp I will be using on my 2 way 15" high efficiency speakers.

Back in the day of desktop PC's, I built my own machines. I've also built my own tube amplifiers and added tube outputs to my CD Players. I read about the Acourate software and the excellent results people have had with it, but haven't experienced it personally. I've looked at the Lynx Aurora 8 and the Lynx Hilo, but don't know why one would be better than the other.

Please share your experiences and the hardware you're using.

James

Frisco, Texas

Hi James.

I use Hilo and super happy with it. The differences with the Aurora is the Hilo has better converters and the Aurora has more channels. Hilo can be configured to output up to 6 analog channels (and you need to use digital volume control - the front panel knob doesn't work in such a setting), but can handle more digital output channels, so for example I have my former 2 channel DAC taking the Hilo SPDIF so I have an 8-channel solution.

Uli Brueggermann, maker of Acourate, recommends using a multichannel card that can do DAC and also ADC so the same clock is used for measurement and playback. Of course that limits the number of converters available and one could use one card (such as the Focusrite mentioned by Keith) to measure and another one (such as exaSound e28) for playback. It will certainly work.

BTW, seems we have similar destinations but starting from opposite ends: I'm doing active and have done the powered subs first, then took off the woofer passive xo in the floorstanders and using a class D amp for those while keeping the tubes for midrange and tweeter, and I'm looking to go with 45 to directly drive tweeters and midranges on a DIY speaker I'm working on. Turns out Acourate and digital xo open a huge door for this path.

BTW, another multichannel DAC/ADC highly regarded is Prism Titan (8 channel, USB), Orpheus (same, but firewire), Lyra (can't remember if 2 or 4 channels). I was on the verge between Hilo and Titan.

Another note: I'm using JRiver for convolution and playback and I'm in the process of trying HQPlayer instead. You have probably seen HQPlayer recommends the use of a NAA, which connects through ethernet. Lynx offers a Dante card (ethernet) in place of the USB card, which I'm looking into thanks to Dallasjustice lead. That might be beneficial for this case.

Finally, be aware Lynx does not support Linux, so if you were thinking of using a microRendu as NAA...it won't work. Well, might work, but you would be on your own...I won't try that route.

Cheers

Thanks for all the replys, and recommendations. I thought I was going to try to stay under $1000 on the interface, but I've came to the conclusion that I would probably want to upgrade as soon as I get it all put together. I recently noticed several Hilo's on one of the auction sites, contacted one of the owners and negotiated a reasonable deal on a sliver faced unit. I received notification that it shipped today.

I was able to make contact with dallasjustice and he's offered his time to help me with Acourate. I think I read that he had a Hilo at one time.

I have over 3,000 records, some of which I'd like to record in 24/96 or 24/192, and I've read the Hilo has a really nice ADC,

Looked at the Twisted Pear Buffalo III, but I already have way too many projects going on. So much that it will probably be a couple of months before I get all the hardware and software together and the speakers finished. I'm also thinking of finishing a DIY Nelson Pass F5 Turbo to run the 15's.

Is there a specific version of Windows that works best for audio playback? I will eventually build a music PC, but the laptop will get the system up and running.

I have a question about active crossover analog output levels. Let's say you have 2-way speakers and 4 channels of amplification. Are the levels of the 4 individual channels automatically adjusted within Acourate and the PC, or do you have to set their db levels in the interface?

James

I have a question about active crossover analog output levels. Let's say you have 2-way speakers and 4 channels of amplification. Are the levels of the 4 individual channels automatically adjusted within Acourate and the PC, or do you have to set their db levels in the interface?

Acourate is able to adjust the individual channels, but this is not the best way to do it. It is better to get your channels volume matched even before you start with Acourate.

I am using Metric Halo ULN-8

Are you using your ULN8 with Acourate ? If so could you share how you are taking measurements for Acourate ? I also have a ULN8 and am looking to use a old Lynx AES 16 PCIe card in a windows based computer and going digital in and out to the ULN8 to take measurements and then go back to a Mac based system once I have created the correction filters.

However if there is a simpler way to take the measurements for Acourate I am keen to find out about it. Well at least till MH releases the long awaited 3D card.

Regards

Mark

Dear Mark,

Yes, the main problem with ULN-8 is that it is not yet windows compatible. I am actually using a USB-AES converter and the ULN-8 is configured to have AES input and output only. The new 3d card should make it easier. Have you seen the pictures in German FB page?

Dear Mark,

The new 3d card should make it easier. Have you seen the pictures in German FB page?

Yes I have seen the earlier pictures and also watched the video on Utube.

If you do not mind sharing are you using the usb to AES converter just for measuring or are you also a Windows based computer for playback as well ?

I am hoping the Mac version of HQ Player or the Mac version of

JRiver will be OK for payback once I have taken the measurements and created the filters.

Regards

Mark

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi pompon,

You mean you measure with 1248 and you play with the e28, right ? We almost have the same equipment. I use the HDPlex 100W to supply the e38.

For the speakers, I use the top sectin of the Linkwitz speakers (open baffle), fantastic sound and image.

Cheers,

Hi Jazzhd,

My E28 is my dedicated audiophile DAC.

I buyed the Motu 1248 to take mesurements, play the test signal (sweep) and listening the music with the convolution activated. Acourate need the same interface to record and play to avoid clock drift that occurs between 2 different interface.

The 1248 is good enough to listening music with very good quality.

Once I am glad of the result of my best convolution I switch to E28 for optimal listening experience.

The driver of the E28 is much more robust than the Motu's driver.
I've never had a glitch in music, it works well with fidelizer and it still recognizes the dac all the time.

With the Motu, that's another story. I have small glitch in the music when the disc is working or when the next piece is buffered even with the buffer to max values. If I use fidelizer, the driver picks up very low priority and can not play the music.

The E28 control sabre32 internal digital volume while Motu must rely on j-river volume. E28 can lock a max volume to avoid to damage speakers. J-river can fix software protection for volume but I prefer a max value in the hardware.

I am using open baffles 18inch wide (no wings) with AE Dipole 15 for bass, Supravox 215rtf64 for mids and Raal 70-20xr dam for tweeter. I have a pair of Rel G1's subwoofers for the ultralows.

Crossovers are done with Acourate and I am using 3 poweramp to power the speakers (1 per voice).

Eric