IGNORED

Metallica 'Hardwired...To Self-Destruct'

Just got this from Metallica:

Thank you for purchasing a high-resolution download of Hardwired…To Self-Destruct!

It has come to our attention that many audiophiles are not pleased with the dynamic range of the 24-bit/96KHz digital download. Rather than continue selling a download that is not up to audiophile standards, we have decided to offer up an alternative.

We have created new 24-bit/44.1KHz digital downloads from the Mastered for iTunes digital master which features a greater dynamic range than was previously available with the 24-bit/96KHz download.

To download the 24-bit/44.1KHz version of Hardwired…To Self-Destruct, simply go back to the web receipt where you initially downloaded your files and download again. You can access that web receipt either in the download email that you received or by visiting your order history at metallica.com/me.

I'm positively shocked by this, considering the band's lack of willingness to do anything about mastering complaints on previous albums. Downloading now....

Just got this from Metallica:

Thank you for purchasing a high-resolution download of Hardwired…To Self-Destruct!

It has come to our attention that many audiophiles are not pleased with the dynamic range of the 24-bit/96KHz digital download. Rather than continue selling a download that is not up to audiophile standards, we have decided to offer up an alternative.

We have created new 24-bit/44.1KHz digital downloads from the Mastered for iTunes digital master which features a greater dynamic range than was previously available with the 24-bit/96KHz download.

To download the 24-bit/44.1KHz version of Hardwired…To Self-Destruct, simply go back to the web receipt where you initially downloaded your files and download again. You can access that web receipt either in the download email that you received or by visiting your order history at metallica.com/me.

I'm positively shocked by this, considering the band's lack of willingness to do anything about mastering complaints on previous albums. Downloading now....

Wow! This is a big deal. The band previously said crushed dynamic range was just how they made records now days and people had to deal with it.

The fact that that they cared enough or thought there was enough money in releasing a better version is cool.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Wow! This is a big deal. The band previously said crushed dynamic range was just how they made records now days and people had to deal with it.

The fact that that they cared enough or thought there was enough money in releasing a better version is cool.

Since today is Sunday, let's all PRAY that this sets a precendent for other musicians to follow suit.

AWESOME!!! Thank you Chris. Looking forward to downloading later and critical listening.

Stay Heavy!

Steven

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Here's some info about the new download:

Hardwired 44-24.jpg

And here's the original download:

Hardwired 96-24.jpg

Interestingly, the third disc, starting with "Lords of Summer", is still 96/24. No real change in dynamic range, but the peak levels on the new download are definitely an improvement--both the 44/24 and 96/24 files in the new download. Definitely perplexing as to why the entire album couldn't be 96/24.

Here's some info about the new download:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30873[/ATTACH]

And here's the original download:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30874[/ATTACH]

Interestingly, the third disc, starting with "Lords of Summer", is still 96/24. No real change in dynamic range, but the peak levels on the new download are definitely an improvement--both the 44/24 and 96/24 files in the new download. Definitely perplexing as to why the entire album couldn't be 96/24.

I would agree with you sir. Definitely an improvement but as to the new download not being fully 24/96 it's irksome. The fuzziness I heard during my first play through doesn't seem to be present which I also find to be a defect in a number of artists works and it drives me nuts.

I think you are wrong, Chris.

DR comparison.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30877[/ATTACH]

The 'loud' 24bit master.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30878[/ATTACH]

The 'audiophile' 24bit master.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30879[/ATTACH]

You're correct, I am wrong. The audiophile version is louder than the other version, but has 1 bit more dynamic range - Audiophile Mastered…NOT! | Real HD-Audio

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have decided to chime in for the discussion about newest Metallica album. To me it is hard to imagine that this kind of music could be expected up to audiophile standards, but so much compression applied to it making it disgusting and not necessary IMHO. Just take a look at the results!

That's good that they responded and created another so called master from iTunes Master, blah, blah, blah, but this album was recorded digitally and so much compression was applied during the mastering process. Why creating something from not the master content, do not know and not buying it.

Bad finger Metallica as for the Death Magnetic in the past!

Metallica_DR.png

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Newest DR posting for the album. Looks like an absolute minimal difference between the "new" 44.1/24 version that is supposed to placate us audiophiles and the original 24/96 download. Clearly they have a much better mastering version for vinyl, why would they not simply use this for the audiophile digital version? I'd bet the vinyl sounds incredible with all that extra DR..

Metallica DR.jpg

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

Newest DR posting for the album. Looks like an absolute minimal difference between the "new" 44.1/24 version that is supposed to placate us audiophiles and the original 24/96 download. Clearly they have a much better mastering version for vinyl, why would they not simply use this for the audiophile digital version? I'd bet the vinyl sounds incredible with all that extra DR..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30907[/ATTACH]

Hehe, so it seems that nowadays for new mass market releases vinyl is the way to go, even if done from the digital source - weird ;-) On the other hand, pressing quality may be also one of the factor to participate in the quality of the whole album and someone said on this forum, that vinyl releases usually have better DR values which are not so adequate - didn't really catch why?

In this case looking at the values it's double!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Hehe, so it seems that nowadays for new mass market releases vinyl is the way to go, even if done from the digital source - weird ;-) On the other hand, pressing quality may be also one of the factor to participate in the quality of the whole album and someone said on this forum, that vinyl releases usually have better DR values which are not so adequate - didn't really catch why?

In this case looking at the values it's double!

BTW, it also seems that due to the fact of the better possible dynamic on vinyl - those are already sold out!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30925[/ATTACH]

Wow, what kind of crazy f'ed up digital world are we living in! The digitally made album must be put on analog vinyl and converted at home back to digital for the best sound quality. Frustrating.

Metallica is very much a money making machine. I wish they'd sell the vinyl rip. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Even better, the master used to create the vinyl, but that must be a bridge to far.

Wow, what kind of crazy f'ed up digital world are we living in! The digitally made album must be put on analog vinyl and converted at home back to digital for the best sound quality. Frustrating.

Metallica is very much a money making machine. I wish they'd sell the vinyl rip. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Even better, the master used to create the vinyl, but that must be a bridge to far.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but this is the irony of this entire website. While we are all throwing money around chasing tiny, incremental improvements in our audio systems, the record companies continue to issue poorer and poorer masterings of the music we want to reproduce in our homes. It's ludicrous.