IGNORED

25 RCA Living Stereo DSD Downloads

bmoura

Today is the release date for 25 RCA Living Stereo albums as DSD Downloads.

They are from the Analogue Productions Analog to DSD transfers that were recently released on Hybrid Stereo SACD. You will find them on the Acoustic Sounds, HDTracks and Primephonic web sites.

Also, they are eligible for the 15% Off HDTracks sale (through 11/21) and the 20% Off Thanksgiving sale at Acoustic Sounds (through Thanksgiving).

attachment.php?attachmentid=27787&d=1479486971

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

Discoveries at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2016 - Positive Feedback

These recordings sound very good on RCA living stereo SACDs: are these DSD files the ones on the RCA SACDs? Or are they new transfers? The fact that Acoustic Sounds inserts a 2007 quote to promote Sheherazade would suggest that the files are taken from the RCA SACDs.

Here is a copy-paste job from Fritz Reiner-Rimsky-Korsakoff Scheherazade-DSD Single Rate 28MHz64fs Download|Acoustic Sounds :

Total download size: 1.80GB Total play length: 44:26

Cover art and liner notes included

"…This is, without question, the best transfer of the old three-channel version I've heard from the team doing these transfers…To these ears, it sounds virtually identical to the best of the LP pressings…but with the considerable bonus of that third and center channel, which makes the Scheherazade experience unforgettable and probably about as close to hearing it in Orchestra Hall back in 1960 as you might get." – Harry Pearson, The Absolute Sound, March 2007

Enchantment awaits within. A magic carpet of Living Stereo sound conveys us to mythic Arabia and China, guided by two of Russia’s greatest orchestral masters. A disc of supple and sensuous performances, its clarity and definition improved by the new DSD remastering.

The first batch from a series of 25 cherry-picked RCA Living Stereo classics. Many more to come!

Remastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound from the original analog masters, DSD file created by Gus Skinas of the Super Audio Center

These recordings sound very good on RCA living stereo SACDs: are these DSD files the ones on the RCA SACDs? Or are they new transfers?

The 25 Living Stereo DSD Downloads are from the Analogue Production editions - remastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound.

The earlier Living Stereo SACDs from RCA were transferred by Soundmirror, not Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound.

The 25 Living Stereo DSD Downloads are from the Analogue Production editions - remastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound.

The earlier Living Stereo SACDs from RCA were transferred by Soundmirror, not Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound.

Thanks, Brian--I was curious whether the files on HDtracks were identical to the ones on Acoustic Sounds, and it's good to know that they are. I had noted that they are indicated as being on the Analogue Productions label on Acoustic Sounds, while on HDtracks, it says "Sony Classical".

However, Acoustic Sounds is stating that they offer "exclusive" liner notes, and indeed, I downloaded a few from HDtracks last night (taking advantage of their 20%-off sale) and no liner notes were included; only a high-res PDF of the cover art was included. For someone like myself who's very familiar with these recordings, liner notes aren't necessary, but I thought it would be good for forum readers to know this in advance.

The initial 5 DSD Living Stereo titles on Acoustic Sounds (made available in October last year) came with PDF liner notes. Presumably the new DSD Living Stereos will have them as well, but only from Acoustic Sounds. (And the new titles aren't eligible for "further discount", at least right now, which is why I went for the ones from HDtracks instead.)

Russell

MacBook Pro 2020 16” (16MB RAM, macOS Big Sur) > Audirvana Plus  > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Thanks, Brian--I was curious whether the files on HDtracks were identical to the ones on Acoustic Sounds, and it's good to know that they are. I had noted that they are indicated as being on the Analogue Productions label on Acoustic Sounds, while on HDtracks, it says "Sony Classical".

Are you sure these are the same? If HDTracks say they come from Sony Classical, it sounds to me that they may be DSD rips of the RCA SACDs.

Are you sure these are the same? If HDTracks say they come from Sony Classical, it sounds to me that they may be DSD rips of the RCA SACDs.

Yes. They're the Analogue Productions remasters. Sony Music distributes the DSD Downloads licensed from their catalog. Same story with the Duke Ellington and Roy Orbison DSD Downloads.

Brian's right. The new DSD releases mirror exactly their Analogue Productions SACD counterparts, which in turn replicate the original RCA LPs. (In other words, there's no extra music as on the RCA (Soundmirror) SACDS). And, a small handful of the new DSD releases weren't released by RCA (Soundmirror) on SACD, e.g., Reiner's "Iberia" & "Alexander Nevsky".

Russell

MacBook Pro 2020 16” (16MB RAM, macOS Big Sur) > Audirvana Plus  > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Brian's right. The new DSD releases mirror exactly their Analogue Productions SACD counterparts, which in turn replicate the original RCA LPs. (In other words, there's no extra music as on the RCA (Soundmirror) SACDS). And, a small handful of the new DSD releases weren't released by RCA (Soundmirror) on SACD, e.g., Reiner's "Iberia" & "Alexander Nevsky".

Russell

How do they compare sonically to the Soundmirror versions?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha and Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels

How do they compare sonically to the Soundmirror versions?

I think they're better--not a huge difference by any means, but they're just a tad smoother, more open, have greater depth, and have better imaging/soundstaging. This might sound like hyperbole, but I really get the sense that there's nothing more to extract from the master tape, which is something I rarely experience from recordings these days.

Russell

I think they're better--not a huge difference by any means, but they're just a tad smoother, more open, have greater depth, and have better imaging/soundstaging. This might sound like hyperbole, but I really get the sense that there's nothing more to extract from the master tape, which is something I rarely experience from recordings these days.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try a few.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha and Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels