IGNORED

Best server configuration

nlondon

Sorry for what I assume is a pretty basic question, but I'm just started getting into hifi and computer audio. I've really enjoyed reading through the posts here although most are way over my head. I'm wondering what the setup is for me, given my equipment. If there is a noob guide out there somewhere, I'd love to check it out. I currently have the following equipment:

- YG Acoustic Carmel speakers

- Hegel h160 amp

- Auralic Aries Mini (upgrading to non-mini Aries soon)

- Using Roon on a macbook pro to drive the aries, mostly playing Tidal

- I also have a Synology DS415play that I used to use for video only

I see a lot of people using a mac mini as the server and I have one I can use. I want to use it as the "core" for Roon, so I don't need to have my laptop on all the time. What I am wondering if if there is any way to incorporate something like Amarra or Audirvana in my setup? I have used Amarra in the past, and really enjoyed the sound of it. I don't think I can use it and the Aries, however. If not, should I be considering setting the mac mini up as a server and running Amarra on it? I assume I like the Amarra for it's equalizer effect - is there a different piece of equipment I should be considering that would work with the Aries? If there are any other glaring issues with my setup, let me know.

Thanks for any advice.

I got my best performance with Aries mini using Lightning Server with NAS. Even better will be if you use optical Ethernet to connect the Aries and NAS vs wifi or wired Ethernet. Roon won't care where your files are so you could run it against your NAS music folder from the Mac to feed the Aries but I wouldn't expect it to sound as good as the Aries Lightning server app.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Sorry for what I assume is a pretty basic question, but I'm just started getting into hifi and computer audio. I've really enjoyed reading through the posts here although most are way over my head. I'm wondering what the setup is for me, given my equipment. If there is a noob guide out there somewhere, I'd love to check it out. I currently have the following equipment:

- YG Acoustic Carmel speakers

- Hegel h160 amp

- Auralic Aries Mini (upgrading to non-mini Aries soon)

- Using Roon on a macbook pro to drive the aries, mostly playing Tidal

- I also have a Synology DS415play that I used to use for video only

I see a lot of people using a mac mini as the server and I have one I can use. I want to use it as the "core" for Roon, so I don't need to have my laptop on all the time. What I am wondering if if there is any way to incorporate something like Amarra or Audirvana in my setup? I have used Amarra in the past, and really enjoyed the sound of it. I don't think I can use it and the Aries, however. If not, should I be considering setting the mac mini up as a server and running Amarra on it? I assume I like the Amarra for it's equalizer effect - is there a different piece of equipment I should be considering that would work with the Aries? If there are any other glaring issues with my setup, let me know.

Thanks for any advice.

I think the answer here depends on which camp you fall in. If you want to fiddle around with settings and turn knobs...etc or if you simply want to listen to music and have something that works very well for the most part with some of the available "knobs" disabled or not there for you to play with?

An idiot proof library interface will be assumed in either case above.

In terms of equipment adjustments that will depend on your answer to the above question. I myself have been down the road of "Fiddling Around" and it was fun for a while. Now I've since switched to ROON using an NAA device meant for ROON use and just listen to music.

IMO, if you fall into the camp I find myself in now then I would look to use your existing MAC Mini as a ROON Core Server and buy a lighter weight more purpose built NAA device to hook up to your DAC via USB within the Hegel unit.

If your more in the other camp then maybe using the MAC Mini loaded with Amarra software directly connected to the Hegel would be a better option for you. In that case sell the Aries and call it a day.