IGNORED

My Computer Builder Is Disputing Need For LPSU....

I am not exactly sure what you are speaking of.....A/B of what? I currently have no computer audio except MacBook Pro with Windows 7. Pink Faun is building the computer in The Netherlands. I am not having the other guy build the computer. This is a complete new direction that was just decided on in the last three weeks.

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 w/ RoomPerfect>GR Research NX-Studio + Rythmik F18 Servo Sub
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
I am not exactly sure what you are speaking of.....A/B of what? I currently have no computer audio except MacBook Pro with Windows 7. Pink Faun is building the computer in The Netherlands. I am not having the other guy build the computer. This is a complete new direction that was just decided on in the last three weeks.

I guess we can't really do a close comparison with just the PSUs as in the OP since you're having a whole new setup built. But it would be interesting to have your computer builder listen to your new setup nevertheless, and perhaps have him bring one of his own and compare as he was initially dismissive of the thought of using an external PSU:

Here are the comments of my computer builder:

"I would not use a external ATX PS, the voltage loss with the long wires will cause problems with the MB and the noise pick-up from all those wires will far outweigh and supposed noise loss from the "linear" PS."

"PS - Voltage loss and EMI are the laws of electronics -not opinion. I don't see any detail on the wires being used (HDPLEX 400W ATX), they would all have to be twisted and shielded and larger in size to make up for the added length." Computer builder's response:

"Adding a filter to reduce the noise that having excessively long external wires causes is like placing a oil pan under a oil leak instead of eliminating the leak."

This is what my computer builder is recommending:

CORSAIR AX Series AX760 760W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply-Newegg.com

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Yes, the guy that was going to build it builds some of the most awesome computer cases. But he is an engineer that thinks specs trump actual listening it seems. I ended up just not able to work with someone that isn't a total audiophile. The only reason I was wanting him to actually build it is because he is no longer selling his cases with all of the extras by themselves. He has a big DIY business with his cases. He is no longer going to offer all of his options the DIY route so if you want all his special sauce in case and cooling design you have to have him build it. I just couldn't go that route after all. I am no longer in contact with him. But he is a very nice guy and he builds fantastic cases.

I am very excited about my new direction. I will post a thread on the Pink Faun in a couple of months. Pink Faun guys are definitely audiophiles. They have been building custom audio equipment power supplies for 25 years....among all the other stuff they build as well. They are tube and horn guys...

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"

Congratulations, Evo no Revo, look forward to your impressions.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

May I ask what Balanced DSC1 you are looking to build?

I can post a logic board on OSHpark for a linear powered ATX supply -- it's pretty simple actually -- needs to be fed with linear power at each of the voltages.

krtkl isn't doing a gigglebits with SFP which is what I want so I'll need to use a Zynq Dev board that has SFP (more expensive) ... I cancelled the "snickerdoodle" as a result :((

I still need to build the balanced "DSC" (project available on OSH park) along with the SMD I-V stage and discrete filter stage.

Perhaps, though the server is more $$$ than the T+A DAC 8 ... so what's your definition of "isolated"? My definition of a *properly* isolated DAC is that it's *not* dependent on network connected devices (as long as they work)?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• 2 weeks later...
I finally found a power supply that I believe in. I love the power supply so much I am having Pink Faun build my complete dual computer setup. Mid February is supposed to be ship date.

From PF; "The linear ATX power supply, built including two heavy LOW B power transformers, pi filters, Schottky diodes, 350,000 uF capacity and nano-crystalline, makes the Pink Faun Streamer 2:12 a high-end player........"

From PF; "In total the PSU of the the two Pink Faun streamers 2.12 (control and audio) contains more than 14 PSU’s with a total buffer capacity over 800.000uF and all dedicated PSU’s have their own regulations".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32280[/ATTACH]

Nicely done, Does PF let you know how many watts in each computer?

also did he recommend you do the 2 PC or your idea? First i though you are using jplay but you are actually using linux and WS2012

Any additional upgrade you add the the build also? Does it an AMD system? or intel? and spec for the hardware would be helpful.

I'm actually having a US company building the same thing for me and it has been almost 1 month, and i hope it will be ready soon.

Thanks,

ismewor

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Also just a side note, I was at Name room in recent CES. Naim New Uniserv is a linux machine with Linear power supply with naim upnp control as well.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Nicely done, Does PF let you know how many watts in each computer?

also did he recommend you do the 2 PC or your idea? First i though you are using jplay but you are actually using linux and WS2012

Any additional upgrade you add the the build also? Does it an AMD system? or intel? and spec for the hardware would be helpful.

I'm actually having a US company building the same thing for me and it has been almost 1 month, and i hope it will be ready soon.

Thanks,

ismewor

Thanks, now just have to pay for it...

They recommend the dual PC setup when going for ultimate SQ. They do a single box as well. I don't want all those boxes hanging off of my computer anymore (MR, LanRover, fibre isolation, Regen and others) so I am going all in on this solution. I insist on having my computer do video playback. The two box solution will provide a more isolation. Will it be worth it....maybe for peace of mind more than anything.

I am actually using Windows 10 Pro on the control PC and Linux on the audio PC.

This is from Pink Faun:

"The PSU of the streamer 2.12 is only available with housing included. The housing we use is part of the construction of the PSU and the heatsinks of the streamer 1.12. All components of the PSU are passive cooled, and of course the processor too. The heatsinks we use can handle a TDP of 100W, by far enough for an Intel i7 processor. I have built several system (AMD and Intel) and never had issues with the passive cooling. I test every system for at least 10 minutes with all processor cores load to 100% simultaneously. Both the PSU and the heatsinks can handle it easy".

I will have to ask about the the total watts. No answer until after Tuesday on that.

For options I got them all..

Control Streamer 2.12 silver Intel mobo and Skylake processor,

Windows 10 pro / Roon Labs

Cable upgrade

Rhodium upgrade

I2S expansionboard

OCXO clock I2S bridge

OCXO clock motherboard

3x PSU board HDD's and Pink Faun SATA cable

Audio Streamer 2.12 silver Mobo is already in possession,

Arch Linux / Hqplayer

Cable upgrade

Rhodium upgrade

OCXO clock motherboard

OCXO clock I2S bridge

Hqplayer Linux

Extra Pink Faun Lan cable

Pink Faun LAN isolation

Once I get the units in later February I will post a thread about it.

• 2 weeks later...

This was the answer I got from PF about wattage on the two boxes.

"The exact amount of watts the supply can deliver depends on what is connected to the supply, I prefer not to speak in watts, we’ve build the supply for the following:

Processor TDP max 120W (i.e. AMD A10 or Intel i7)

4 SSDs

4 OCXO clocks

three low current cards, like the I2S bridge, a USB cards etc.

(All and all is the max output around 200 to 250Watts)

Of course there is a lot of headroom, so overclocking the processor is possible, but an extra video card or so is not recommended, the supply is designed for the mentioned setup above.

I prefer not to speak in watts,

Jord"

Do you have any information regarding the 4 OCXO clocks and the motherboard used?

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

Do you have any information regarding the 4 OCXO clocks and the motherboard used?

No, I just ordered the OCXO upgrade that comes with the I2S bridge and the one on the mobo. I don't really have specific information. You can read some on their site but it doesn't say much technically.

I do see in the picture on the PF website that the mobo they are using in that picture is an ASRock. I don't know if that is what will be coming with mine. That picture is of their old setup a version back.

I have grown tired on all of the computer parts rabbit hole. I just want them to build me the best they can and I will enjoy the music. Plus I can upgrade as PF finds proven ways of improving their servers. The never ending second guessing that something is better out there is what drove me to go with such an expensive piece of kit....not that that means it is superior. Plus they were very open to creating a system that does audio and video. That is how I ended up going with the two PC setup. I imagine that just the control by itself with be a stunning performer in it's own right.

The best thing to do if you have questions is ask Jord at PF. He is very thorough in his responses and speaks perfect English.

On a side note....I am having to get the Control PC first and then in a couple of months get the Audio PC. That is just a financial reality....