IGNORED

My Computer Builder Is Disputing Need For LPSU....

Thanks for the input ElviaCaprice! I hoped the PPA Studio parts worked out for you.. I thought I recognized that name.

The point of the I2S originally is that I have the Microrendu connected to the only USB input on the DAC. For convience if I want to watch a movie and the USB input has the Microrendu then I don't want to have to change the cord out. If I just connect to the DAC from my PC I can use the I2S input on the DAC. It is up to 32/192 which is plenty of resolution for watching movies from JRiver.

If there was some way to get movie video out of JRiver to my TV and movie audio out to the Microrendu it would simplify many things but that is not possible as Jesus has consulted with JRiver and they said that is no.

I will get a DSD 512 capable dac at some point.

One of the things I specifically want is the amazing A Tech Fabrication cases. They are works of art!

Why don't you get the Sonore Signature Series Rendu for your DS DAC? Then you could feed the audio via Ethernet (galvanic isolation) to the Sonore, I2S to the DS from the Sonore. This is how Ted B got the best sound from his DS DAC. I would think you would want to go this route over USB with the DS DAC.

http://www.rendu.sonore.us/rendu.html

Then you could feed any video directly HDMI to your TV/monitor. I would think JRiver could feed the audio via Ethernet and video via HDMI for video?

Forget the microRendu with the DS DAC. If you didn't want to use the Sonore for I2S (my first choice), then I would use the USB audio card/Intona/Regen to stream audio via USB to your DS DAC. You could probably power the USB audio card and Regen (if the DS DAC does not require a 5Vbus input) with one LPS-1. Then you could feed the video again via HDMI to your TV/monitor. All with Jriver on your CAPS build. (This is how I do video via JRiver) The two mobos I suggested can do 4K video without a video card via HDMI. You don't need a new DAC. The DS DAC is top notch, you just won't be able to upsample with HQP, no big deal since video high quality playback is important to you.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Why don't you get the Sonore Signature Series Rendu for your DS DAC? Then you could feed the audio via Ethernet (galvanic isolation) to the Sonore, I2S to the DS from the Sonore. This is how Ted B got the best sound from his DS DAC. I would think you would want to go this route over USB with the DS DAC.

SONORE Rendu

Then you could feed any video directly HDMI to your TV/monitor. I would think JRiver could feed the audio via Ethernet and video via HDMI for video?

Forget the microRendu with the DS DAC. If you didn't want to use the Sonore for I2S (my first choice), then I would use the USB audio card/Intona/Regen to stream audio via USB to your DS DAC. You could probably power the USB audio card and Regen (if the DS DAC does not require a 5Vbus input) with one LPS-1. Then you could feed the video again via HDMI to your TV/monitor. All with Jriver on your CAPS build. (This is how I do video via JRiver) The two mobos I suggested can do 4K video without a video card via HDMI. You don't need a new DAC. The DS DAC is top notch, you just won't be able to upsample with HQP, no big deal since video high quality playback is important to you.

He, he, he.... Your onto something. I had not paid attention to the SSR. I need time to sort this out in my head....

So I use the SSR for my quality audio playback using the I2S input to the DS DAC. But I have already tried to see if the MicroRendu would play audio from a movie on JRiver and output the video via HDMI and it would not. When I tried to play a movie in JRiver using the MicroRendu I would get audio out of the MR but JRiver would not play the movie video. It would only present the movie thumbnail as if I was playing an album. It would not output video at the same time. Is this set up you are suggestion attempting the same thing? Jesus said that JRiver confirmed that was not possible.

But I am not that concerned about ultimate movie playback sound. I could just playback movies using JRiver and output audio via USB to the DS DAC video out using HDMI and be totally happy. It would be icing on the cake if it would work with video as you suggest.

Thanks and enough of this for one day....

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 w/ RoomPerfect>GR Research NX-Studio + Rythmik F18 Servo Sub
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
Thanks for the input ElviaCaprice! I hoped the PPA Studio parts worked out for you.. I thought I recognized that name.

Thanks, I won't get to them until next summer, at my winter home in Costa Rica. Plan on using the memory and PPA usb card on a low cost embedded mobo build for an HTPC which will do 4K. I'll give the sata chords a try. With the parts I received from you I should be able to do the build for around an additional $200. I'll use my LPS-1's, Intona, Regen and Chord Hugo from my current build here in CR.

If I we're you, I would do the PC build yourself, it's extremely easy and fun.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

He, he, he.... Your onto something. I had not paid attention to the SSR. I need time to sort this out in my head....

So I use the SSR for my quality audio playback using the I2S input to the DS DAC. But I have already tried to see if the MicroRendu would play audio from a movie on JRiver and output the video via HDMI and it would not. When I tried to play a movie in JRiver using the MicroRendu I would get audio out of the MR but JRiver would not play the movie video. It would only present the movie thumbnail as if I was playing an album. It would not output video at the same time. Is this set up you are suggestion attempting the same thing? Jesus said that JRiver confirmed that was not possible.

But I am not that concerned about ultimate movie playback sound. I could just playback movies using JRiver and output audio via USB to the DS DAC video out using HDMI and be totally happy. It would be icing on the cake if it would work with video as you suggest.

Thanks and enough of this for one day....

Yes, definitely you can play back video via HDMI and audio via USB with JRiver, not a problem, this is how I do it. This is why I use the Intona for my galvanic isolation instead of via Ethernet or wireless. Much easier to control for video playback with hi resolution sound. Your audio is going to be just as good with this method as using a micro Rendu as long as you eliminate any electrical leakages with batteries or LPS-1.

I'm not sure about the Sonore? Ask Jesus to be sure about streaming with JRiver audio and video and whether the signature Rendu can stream audio directly to the DS via I2S from your HTPC via JRiver. From my reading on the technical perspective of the signature Rendu it can do this. If so then I don't know why you couldn't stream the video via HDMI at the same time with JRiver. I may be wrong here, not sure how that Ethernet connection is handled to the Rendu.

The micro Rendu is basically an audio streamer that re-streams the received stream? No pass thru, thus you can't do video on your HTPC, you would have to do it on the micro Rendu which it doesn't handle. A dead end in my needs.

I think the LPS matters if you go directly USB to DAC but if you plan to use the PC as a networked fileserver it will be less important. OS choice and optimization programs like Fidelizer Pro will matter more.

You may get better SQ already with the wired network instead of a direct USB connection, but how does the networked implementation reduce any leakage currents from the computer SMPS?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

That brings me back to wondering if I can use a SMPS?

Nikhil suggested this: AC Filter: https://www.arraysolutions.com/ac-7b

Bibo1 suggested this but I don't really know what it is: EMC/EMI filter by Shaffner (look for "B" version for medical application)

Get both an SMPS and a L-Reg PSU and compare, you seem to have the budget. That will settle it.

I don't think anyone has shown yet how the filters above combine with existing SMPS Leakage Currents and what that does to SQ. Worth a try though.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

If there was some way to get movie video out of JRiver to my TV and movie audio out to the Microrendu it would simplify many things but that is not possible as Jesus has consulted with JRiver and they said that is no.

Have you tried VLC?

You may get better SQ already with the wired network instead of a direct USB connection, but how does the networked implementation reduce any leakage currents from the computer SMPS?

You use an isolation transformer to isolate your audio equipment from the rest of the house. Assuming that your Ethernet is not shielded or you are using fiber, then the Ethernet input to your audio system will be transformer isolated -- the copper Ethernet transformers may themselves have capacitance and so either fiber or higher quality Ethernet isolation may also be of benefit.

If you are very concerned about SMPS best not allow a standard motherboard with its on board power supplies ... or supply this component with its own isolation transformer.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Get both an SMPS and a L-Reg PSU and compare, you seem to have the budget. That will settle it.

I don't think anyone has shown yet how the filters above combine with existing SMPS Leakage Currents and what that does to SQ. Worth a try though.

I don't use my arraysolutions filters to replace isolation transformers, rather to clean up HF junk traveling over the mains/house AC

You use an isolation transformer to isolate your audio equipment from the rest of the house. Assuming that your Ethernet is not shielded or you are using fiber, then the Ethernet input to your audio system will be transformer isolated -- the copper Ethernet transformers may themselves have capacitance and so either fiber or higher quality Ethernet isolation may also be of benefit.

Sounds good.

If you are very concerned about SMPS best not allow a standard motherboard with its on board power supplies ... or supply this component with its own isolation transformer.

Or Linear PSU and Linear regulated down to the RAM.

I don't use my arraysolutions filters to replace isolation transformers, rather to clean up HF junk traveling over the mains/house AC

That would be a proper way of proceeding.

The question now is: if you still replace the SMPS with a Linear-Reg PSU, do you still hear quite a large SQ change for the better?

That would be a proper way of proceeding.

The question now is: if you still replace the SMPS with a Linear-Reg PSU, do you still hear quite a large SQ change for the better?

My workstation which runs HQP has an AX760 (SMPS) ... my NAA is supplied by a 12v El-Cheapo (LPS) to a pico-PSU (SMPS) ... and of course the motherboard has its own SMPS chips onboard

Or Linear PSU and Linear regulated down to the RAM.

There are numerous potential combinations of linear and SMPS -- for the workstation I just don't worry.

For the NAA ideally a custom designed board with linear supply to something like a Zynq which could directly supply DSD to the DAC. Too many fish to fry for me to worry about partial/intermediate solutions.

My initial FPGA board supplier reneged on their ability to do an SFP input so I'm looking at alternate suppliers ... and slowly setting up my home lab to do real jitter/phase noise measurements with an Agilent/HP 89441A. Of course life gets in the way of these projects...

In any case there are many many many things to do before looking at LPS on the workstation i.e. I'm not predicting it will ultimately make a difference

There are numerous potential combinations of linear and SMPS -- for the workstation I just don't worry.

I know what you mean and that's why I'm trying to find out where the fundamental change which brings the most SQ improvement is. If a more fundamental enhancement like clean power and proper grounding up-front allows us not to do more work or purchases, I'm all for it.

For the NAA ideally a custom designed board with linear supply to something like a Zynq which could directly supply DSD to the DAC. Too many fish to fry for me to worry about partial/intermediate solutions.

I've come to the same conclusion: actually I want to build a whole Linear PSU for the computer but starting with this is much more complex than building one for the NAA. A complete custom, purpose-built NAA main board with I/O board with all the PSU work would be great.

My initial FPGA board supplier reneged on their ability to do an SFP input so I'm looking at alternate suppliers

That's what I thought: they are using the previously planned add-on name for another product now. At least you get the snagglebits this month, right?

As an initial prototype, I don't mind just including PCBs (for the NAA-side FMC) within my next DAC build though.

... and slowly setting up my home lab to do real jitter/phase noise measurements with an Agilent/HP 89441A. Of course life gets in the way of these projects...

Very cool, let me know if we can work on some things together, no pressure, no rush, just that shared vision of getting things as simple and optimised as possible.

In any case there are many many many things to do before looking at LPS on the workstation i.e. I'm not predicting it will ultimately make a difference

The SGM gallery guys and a couple of people who heard it told me they felt it was unnecessary to do further isolation using the SGM. The latter has a very meticulously built PSU + high-grade clock and more. So that's food for thought.

The SGM gallery guys and a couple of people who heard it told me they felt it was unnecessary to do further isolation using the SGM. The latter has a very meticulously built PSU + high-grade clock and more. So that's food for thought.

The SGM Gallery is really class of its own. Are they using a custom build SMPS? Either way the build quality is exceptional.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

The fact that you are even asking the question is a huge red flag you are potentially going for overkill and wasting money. In a blind listening test I doubt you could tell the difference. Listen to your PC builder.

I believe he can hear the different, that is why he want to build something to try out the different till at a level that is please to hear. The process is long but we all love to spent time and money on. :)

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Have you tried VLC?

I have tried VLC but not in this application trying to do movie audio with a microrendu.

I am going to have a smps installed and see what it takes to improve SQ with different mentioned techniques. Then I can hook up the HDPLEX 400 and see how much difference is there. If I can't hear it clearly then keep it simple.

The optical network isolation is intriguing... Not ready to dive into that yet!

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
I know what you mean and that's why I'm trying to find out where the fundamental change which brings the most SQ improvement is. If a more fundamental enhancement like clean power and proper grounding up-front allows us not to do more work or purchases, I'm all for it.

I've come to the same conclusion: actually I want to build a whole Linear PSU for the computer but starting with this is much more complex than building one for the NAA. A complete custom, purpose-built NAA main board with I/O board with all the PSU work would be great.

That's what I thought: they are using the previously planned add-on name for another product now. At least you get the snagglebits this month, right?

I can post a logic board on OSHpark for a linear powered ATX supply -- it's pretty simple actually -- needs to be fed with linear power at each of the voltages.

krtkl isn't doing a gigglebits with SFP which is what I want so I'll need to use a Zynq Dev board that has SFP (more expensive) ... I cancelled the "snickerdoodle" as a result :((

Very cool, let me know if we can work on some things together, no pressure, no rush, just that shared vision of getting things as simple and optimised as possible.

I still need to build the balanced "DSC" (project available on OSH park) along with the SMD I-V stage and discrete filter stage.

Perhaps, though the server is more $$$ than the T+A DAC 8 ... so what's your definition of "isolated"? My definition of a *properly* isolated DAC is that it's *not* dependent on network connected devices (as long as they work)?

Are they using a custom build SMPS?

Of course not.

I can post a logic board on OSHpark for a linear powered ATX supply -- it's pretty simple actually -- needs to be fed with linear power at each of the voltages.

Yes, it's manageable. A bit less immediate in implementation is the linear regulated supply to the RAM which I also want to do.

krtkl isn't doing a gigglebits with SFP which is what I want so I'll need to use a Zynq Dev board that has SFP (more expensive) ... I cancelled the "snickerdoodle" as a result :(

I can never remember their product name, so 'snagglebits' it was for me :D

Perhaps, though the server is more $$$ than the T+A DAC 8 ... so what's your definition of "isolated"? My definition of a *properly* isolated DAC is that it's *not* dependent on network connected devices (as long as they work)?

Expensive for sure, DIY potentially less.

Yes, ideal isolation would be preferable, but how many existing DACs can boast having that. I'll either build my next one (already designed on paper) or buy one which does a good bit of isolation.

I have tried VLC but not in this application trying to do movie audio with a microrendu.

Isn't this what we were talking about? I think it should work. I don't have a microRendu so can't test here.

The optical network isolation is intriguing... Not ready to dive into that yet!

It's a must. USB on a normal > 3cm analogue cable is a weak point.

Isn't this what we were talking about? I think it should work. I don't have a microRendu so can't test here.

It's a must. USB on a normal > 3cm analogue cable is a weak point.

I am not able to get VLC to play audio through the MR. I can't find any references online to set up MR and VLC.

I really only use VLC when all else fails for a particular file. I don't know about actually using VLC as a go to player.

• 1 month later...

I finally found a power supply that I believe in. I love the power supply so much I am having Pink Faun build my complete dual computer setup. Mid February is supposed to be ship date.

From PF; "The linear ATX power supply, built including two heavy LOW B power transformers, pi filters, Schottky diodes, 350,000 uF capacity and nano-crystalline, makes the Pink Faun Streamer 2:12 a high-end player........"

From PF; "In total the PSU of the the two Pink Faun streamers 2.12 (control and audio) contains more than 14 PSU’s with a total buffer capacity over 800.000uF and all dedicated PSU’s have their own regulations".

av212-c_resize(1).jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32280[/ATTACH]

Looks great. Are you going to have your system builder undergo an A/B comparison?