IGNORED

Music Recommendations for Dinner Party Needed

Hi,

long time reader here - this is my first post and it starts with a question :)

My wife and I are doing regular themed cooking parties with befriended couples and this time we will have "Southern US cuisine". I am responsible for the drinks and the music... ;)

I'm on track with the drinks, but still looking for good music to run with the food. So I thought I ask the community for any suggestions. I am looking for an interesting mix of music you would consider typical for the US south - from California to Florida. All genres welcome.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Thanks a lot

Klaus

Hi,

thanks a lot.

This looks like a good start. We are all in our mid-forties to fifties...

Myself being a classical music person, I do like a lot of good other music but normally don't bother to remember the musicians... ;) So your recommendations are very welcome.

Klaus

You're welcome. Yes, classical (or modern jazz for that matter) doesn't provide much in terms of 'southern recognizability' (Copland's Appalachian Spring perhaps). And most New Orleans jazz is too upbeat for a dinner party environment. Some acoustic blues can also do the job (Muddy Waters' Folk Singer, anything by Junior Wells or Lightnin' Hopkins, ...)

Assuming nothing too rowdy and without knowing your audience make up or age,

- most albums by Ry Cooder but definitely Paris, Texas[ATTACH=CONFIG]30787[/ATTACH]

- some Willy Nelson perhaps: [ATTACH=CONFIG]30788[/ATTACH]

- Anything from Louisiana[ATTACH=CONFIG]30786[/ATTACH]

- Emmylou Harris[ATTACH=CONFIG]30789[/ATTACH]

All excellent suggestions. I love Ry Cooder, and Paris, Texas was a good movie. Then again, I'd watch Nastassja Kinski read the phone book.

if I were you, I'd stick to instrumental music for background. Vocal music can be distracting from conversation. Just my 2¢.

Here's a couple more good Ry Cooder soundtracks that might be appropriate:

border.jpg

longriders.jpg

Hi,

My wife and I are doing regular themed cooking parties with befriended couples and this time we will have "Southern US cuisine". I am responsible for the drinks and the music... ;)

I'm on track with the drinks, but still looking for good music to run with the food. So I thought I ask the community for any suggestions. I am looking for an interesting mix of music you would consider typical for the US south - from California to Florida. All genres welcome.

Thanks a lot

Klaus

Nice question. :)

Recommendation(s) (one artist, two albums):

JTE Single Mothers.jpg

JTE Absent Fathers.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Single-Mothers-Justin-Townes-Earle/dp/B00LWLZRYK/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_1

https://www.amazon.com/Absent-Fathers-Justin-Townes-Earle/dp/B00PVBCMX6/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_2

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

you could start at one end of the South (Gullah music) and move west

you'd hit old timey mrtn. music, 'modern' offshoots (like Bluegrass, and then newgrass)

delta blues

once you get to Louisiana things would get very complicated, as you have old Creole operas etc., jazz (I strongly recommend some CDs from Buddy Bolden), Funk (which arguably started in NoLa), whatever Quintron & Miss Kitty are up to right now, marching bands, Bounce music...

then Cajun & Zydeco

then Louisiana Hayride things

moving into Texas you pick up Tejano and various other Spanish influences (with a loop back to NoLa for The Iguanas)

you could even end in SoCal with the particular flavor of C&W from there

that would cover a LOT of parties

fwiw. every august i have a tex mex party on the patio with all our friends with great tex mex food and drink . and some of the music i play is by doug sahm and the texas tornadoes( freddy fender,flaco jimenez )

main system; mac mini/mac os mountain lion/bel canto usb/cambridge audio dac magic/creek destiny intregrated/reference 3a mm de cappo i/svs pb-12-nsd/dh labs cables and wires/denon ah-d2000

Nice question. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30795[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30796[/ATTACH]

https://www.amazon.com/Single-Mothers-Justin-Townes-Earle/dp/B00LWLZRYK/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_1

https://www.amazon.com/Absent-Fathers-Justin-Townes-Earle/dp/B00PVBCMX6/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_2

Giving a listen to Jud's recommendation (thanks Jud), I thought of the classic Lyle Lovett "Pontiac" album. Hard to go wrong as background music.

IMG_1081.JPG

Later in the evening, as things get a little noisier, perhaps a little twist on gospel...

IMG_1082.JPG

"The Word". Featuring John Medeski on keyboards (Medeski, Martin & Wood), Robert Randolph on pedal steel guitar, and The North Mississippi All-Stars

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Mac Mini (mid 2010) Yosemite, Audirvana Plus v 3.0 > Mapleshade ClearLink Plus USB > UpTone REGEN (Amber) w/LPS-1 > Peachtree nova150 > PSB Imagine T / REL R328 and so on...

Not particularly Southern, but a couple of newer releases with newer old fashioned jazz vocalists; Joan Chamarro and Andrea Motis "Feeling Good" and Vintage Post Modern Jukebox "the essentials". Both are engaging in spots, don't know if you are looking just for background music. PMJ is part jazz vocalist and part jazz show tunes. Haley Reinhart is amazing;

If you like country maybe Zoe Muth or Alyson Krauss. Both sound very Southern to me- Muth is sort of a cross between Dolly Parton and Emmy Lou Harris. She's inspired by John Prine but writes her own material. A sleeper I think.

Hi,

Thanks a lot

Klaus

Hi there,

party was a big success and we had lots of fun. I went through your recommendations with my wife and we created a playlist that also had some other titles that my wife loves (she's a metalhead, but that's not necessarily a good genre for a dinner party where you want to eat and talk ;) ).

I'm not too much into country music I guess, but I liked what Jud recommended (my wife not so much, though ;) )

30795d1479413776t-music-recommendations-dinner-party-needed-jte-single-mothers.jpg

30796d1479413811t-music-recommendations-dinner-party-needed-jte-absent-fathers.jpg

I also took parts from the True Blood soundtrack - long time since we last watched the show, but I always liked the music.

Willie Nelson was too much "country" for my taste and Ry Cooder's Paris, Texas is very atmospheric but I had the feeling it was too "lov level" for the party. I also thought that it may require the images from the movie to go with it.

Also the Soul Food album worked very nice as the evening progressed...

Later in the evening, as things get a little noisier, perhaps a little twist on gospel...

30800d1479420138t-music-recommendations-dinner-party-needed-img_1082.jpg

"The Word". Featuring John Medeski on keyboards (Medeski, Martin & Wood), Robert Randolph on pedal steel guitar, and The North Mississippi All-Stars

My wife loved Black Stone Cherry a lot (didn't know it before), but we did not put it on the list, because we were not sure whether our friends would also like it.

We also had some songs from Boz Scaggs that we found via Roon while browsing and thought that it fitted well.

So all in all there were a lot of new discoveries and nice music to explore - thanks again for all your contributions!

Cheers

Klaus