IGNORED

Quad DSD on Gustard X20 through I2s

What are the steps and equipment/parts needed to accomplish this. I am a bit frustrated trying to locate all of the information.

I've searched a bit, and there seems to be some information spread out on various sites and threads, but nothing I can find all in one place.

Can someone point me to a specific thread that has this info? Or post the info here?

I am currently just using a Raspberry/Moode combo, rendering files from my computer, into the USB input on the Gustard. But I want to get a bit more serious (while still being on a budget).

Not sure if this should be on the 'Server' forum or not. Please move if it belongs there.

Having used i2s from a Pi, you will need to learn if your DAC needs master clock (MClk) in. Even then, it is unlikely that the Pi will be better than the internal USB>i2s. You might need to purchase a better i2s source.... Now that I think about it, can the Pi even do DSD256?

What are the steps and equipment/parts needed to accomplish this. I am a bit frustrated trying to locate all of the information.

I've searched a bit, and there seems to be some information spread out on various sites and threads, but nothing I can find all in one place.

Can someone point me to a specific thread that has this info? Or post the info here?

I am currently just using a Raspberry/Moode combo, rendering files from my computer, into the USB input on the Gustard. But I want to get a bit more serious (while still being on a budget).

Not sure if this should be on the 'Server' forum or not. Please move if it belongs there.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

You could use Gustard U12 between your computer USB port and DAC-X12 I2S input.

Gustard U12 I2S output is compatible with DAC-X12 I2S input. (I2S can be mapped to HDMI pins differently, see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=853411704 )

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
Having used i2s from a Pi, you will need to learn if your DAC needs master clock (MClk) in. Even then, it is unlikely that the Pi will be better than the internal USB>i2s. You might need to purchase a better i2s source.... Now that I think about it, can the Pi even do DSD256?

The Raspberry is probably only a stop gap, to allow me to listen to some hi-res files I have.

But I am willing to use something else, in order to get quad rate.

You could use Gustard U12 between your computer USB port and DAC-X12 I2S input.

Gustard U12 I2S output is compatible with DAC-X12 I2S input. (I2S can be mapped to HDMI pins differently, see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=853411704 )

I was wondering about the U12.

According to Gustard, the X20 DAC will only do quad rate using Windows. Are you saying, that the U12, between a Windows box, and the X20, will do quad rate?

Thanks again!

According to Gustard, the X20 DAC will only do quad rate using Windows. Are you saying, that the U12, between a Windows box, and the X20, will do quad rate?

Thanks again!

I just read the description of the U12, and it seems it is only capable for up to 128 DSD. I Am getting that now with my Raspberry via USB.

My frustration and confusion remain.

Gustard has had the X20 for close to a year, and now they have the X20 Pro, and they have to understand that many people will want Quad DSD. Yet they fail to offer an adapter cable, or a new version of the U20 capable of quad DSD.

It is especially frustrating since their DAC has a nonstandard pin configuration for their HDMI. Seems they could have simplified things by using RJ45.

Thanks again!

Quad DSD rate doesn't seem to be so easy to reach with X20.

X20 is capable of max. DSD128 via USB with standard USB driver but people on head-fi found it is capable of DSD256 with DIYinHK 3.34 driver. I would suggest you to ask for driver on head-fi here: Gustard X20 DAC - Page 48

X20 si capable of DSD256 and DSD512 via IIS, but you have to find suitable USB to IIS converter. Gustard U12 is capable of max. DSD256 via IIS. According to the head-fi thread mentioned above better choice is Singxer SU-1: Gustard X20 DAC - Page 49

DSD512 is currently possible with DIYinHK DSD512 USB to I2S card, but it really requires soldering. I don't know about better DSD512 possibility. But the results seem to be interesting: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780385/gustard-x20-dac/975#post_12949885

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500