IGNORED

DAC shopping thoughts

Currently own a Mytek 192 DSD.

Want to get something that sounds significantly better - not just a small step up, but say two real steps up. Something I probably won't think about replacing, because getting something "better" probably will be only marginally better (if at all) and way more than I could afford.

These DACs tend to be pretty expensive, say $5K -$10K.

There's the school of thought that says, "don't spend that kind of cash, as DACs improve all the time and in a few years you can upgrade a "lesser" DAC (say $2K-$3K) - which isn't that much lesser in SQ - with an even better DAC and your total outlay will probably be less overall, or at least not more.

I get that. On the other hand, there are some very good DACs on the market in that $5K and up range now that sound really good, and are upgradeable - either because they are modular, or because they don't use a chip and have firmware (FPGA and the like) that allows for upgrades.

Your thoughts: a $3k DAC I like and is an upgrade over my present DAC, or a $5K DAC I like even better, that's upgradeable?

Assume the money isn't an issue at this point, I'm asking about a strategy. What do you think makes the most sense?

I'm asking this more as a kind of thought exercise about buying an upgrade - not really looking for names of specific DACs, unless you want to use some model names as examples in your answer.

Specific recommendations (buy this one!) don't really help me, as I know pretty much what's out there, and not all the models available in the US or Europe are readily available where I live. One thing I have decided is NOT to buy something at those kind of prices that I can't audition first. I don't really have the possibility of buying something expensive and sending it back, as dealers here don't do that, and customs shipping, and VAT on the original buy make it fairly prohibitive financially even if I buy direct from a manufacturer.

To whomever responds: thanks for your time.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'd bunch up a few DACs within a particular budget with all the features you need that provide what's currently accepted as adequate interface and D/A conversion implementation, then listen for differences.

Despite the negligible differences in measurements, there's bound to be some marginally audible signature (whether from upsampling, filtering, analog stage, grounding...who knows).

Or have someone build you Miska's DAC (if you can't do it yourself).

I am happy with the positive effects of using a NAA and will soon be receiving a custom-designed PCM-only filterless NOS USB DAC (in sum, it's a DAC).

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Firedog, I think you have a great DAC to start with. You can obviously try upgrading your source to a MicroRendu. But if it's DACs you're looking for, I think upgrading to another DAC chip DAC generally brings a bit more refinement to the sound but may not be the best bang for the buck. Different DAC designs may give you a different sound signature you prefer better. I'd consider PS Audio Directstream junior for DSD DAC, Schiit Yggradasil for R2R DAC and Chord 2Qute for a multibit SDM discrete DAC design. You may find you prefer one of these DACs significantly more than the Mytek. But then you may not.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

3 outstanding DACs could be found used for about $5k are: Bricasti M1, DcS Debussy (best USB in class), Rockna Wavedream (hard to find used), Or maybe, Mytek Manhattan. Then you have to find those around to have a listen those first since any of them could sound not good enough for you.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

While I do fall into the don't spend/wait category I would at least recommend you listen to a few of the cheaper DACs that come highly recommended before spending 5k. The Schiit Iggy, Ayre Codex, Lampi Amber are a few that come to mind. I would get a good feel for what these are capable of before spending twice the money. While you may not buy any of them, this will give you a good idea of what you are really spending your money on.

I think upgrading to another DAC chip DAC generally brings a bit more refinement to the sound but may not be the best bang for the buck. Different DAC designs may give you a different sound signature you prefer better.

I'd investigate different DAC methods/design as well.

Native DSD, Chip-less DSD, R-2R, Tubed.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Thought tends to bunch up and produce many similar ideas. If your needs don't align with the current trust's no amount of expended physical or mental currency will be worthwhile. I haven't listened to anyone ringing in a new golden, bronze, or unobtainium period in audio yet this week. At some point digital music is going to far surpass analog representations in many quantifiable directions. Whether any of us will be there for it? Your hearing isn't getting better unless you resort to digital hearing aids just as one example. Choosing to focus on what's between your ears becomes ever more important while everything else turns to noise.

Socializing an idea can be good fun. Constantly trotting out 'golf aids' to justify a level of ability gets pathetic. What you need to play at your best is as personal as it is imprecise. Get on with it in enjoyable company and accept that your options might not as great as you'd like. Walk away until you no longer fixate on the subject. Then decide how desperately your happiness depends on what very well might be detracting from it. Chances are coming back fresh to look at the changes you'd like to make will only benefit the outcome.

firedog,

This is a tough one and one I keep going through. But I'm a lot different that you in that since I bought a Mytek 192 four years ago, I've probably gone through ~20 different dacs in the $2k - $3k range just because I enjoy trying different units. Now, as I'm approaching retirement, I would like to get that one dac that I would be content with for a few years if that is possible for me. But even though I am considering it, it is still hard to pay $5k plus when there are a lot of very good dacs in the $2k - $3k range. I'm not sure which direction I will go, but it probably won't be with a $5k+ dac.

I just realized Firedog already has a microRendu. And you're using digital volume control on the mytek straight into your power amp. That's challenging because most other DAC architectures have poor low-level linearity so to get optimal performance, you really need a passive preamp. Or Chord Hugo TT has volume control as a desktop amp but it's expensive so you would have to compromise and run a Chord Hugo or Mojo not as portable DACs which is annoying.

I just realized Firedog already has a microRendu. And you're using digital volume control on the mytek straight into your power amp. That's challenging because most other DAC architectures have poor low-level linearity so to get optimal performance, you really need a passive preamp. Or Chord Hugo TT has volume control as a desktop amp but it's expensive so you would have to compromise and run a Chord Hugo or Mojo not as portable DACs which is annoying.

FYI, I'm either getting a Dac with a volume control or replacing the power amp with an integrated.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

1. what source material? and redbook or what?

2. what interface will be used over the life of the DAC? USB, Toslink, HDMI, Thunderbolt 3? or Ultra-Thumperbolt 7??

3. you say "dealers here" but where - are you in France?

in the US it is pretty common it find mail-order dealers with a 30 day return privilege, or the ubiquitous Amazon...

1. what source material? and redbook or what?

2. what interface will be used over the life of the DAC? USB, Toslink, HDMI, Thunderbolt 3? or Ultra-Thumperbolt 7??

3. you say "dealers here" but where - are you in France?

in the US it is pretty common it find mail-order dealers with a 30 day return privilege, or the ubiquitous Amazon...

All types. USB. Not in the US and don't have any of those home audition options open to me.

I would consider stretching to the Playback Designs Merlot (if you are serious about getting an integrated amp with a volume control, the Merlot does not have volume control). I am really excited that Andreas has kept the price point of the Merlot somewhat reasonable.

If you must have volume control onboard the DAC, I would consider a used PS Audio DS, a great DAC, and like the Merlot this DAC has software upgrade capability. I do not like the DS Junior much though, and one can get a used DS for a good price.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Firedog,

My strategic approach to your question would be:

A) Listing the characteristics that you miss with you current DAC.

B) Ensure that there are no other solutions in your chain to alter them into the result you are looking for. (you may jump to G now)

C) if it is then about DAC performanc only, i may think about format differences, analog output stages and specific power supply , which may better or differentiate the sound. Are there tweaks to your current DAC which are promising changes in the direction you want?

D) If DSD is your favourite, think about upsampling outside the DAC with HQ player vs in-Dac upsampling. ls it an option?

E)I have read often, that you can't better the 192/24 high res audio files. But there is, imho, a lack of native recording too. Nonetheless, i feel, deciding on format helps to focus within the multitude of options. (eg. Iggy vs T&A 8 DSD)

F) Answer for yourself the question if you can be happy with a serious good non-upgradable solution.

G) I have noticed that you consider various elements of the chain to be changeable. I would think it may help to change the upper end, amp/pre or integrated first, and review the performance of your current dac with that change. If you feel it still lacks the same qualities as before, you have a serious reason to change it ;-) Back to C ...

In my imagination and according to plan you may have now found a number of dacs you consider to be a worthwhile upgrade to your system. Hhm, from here its personal taste rather than systematic approach, i would guess.

Pls. Forgive if some expression are not as straight to the point as with native speakers.

I value your insightful and sometimes pointed contributions to this site. I'd guess you did think systematically through your decision process, and you were looking for a kind affirmation. I am happy if my thoughts may support your analysis.

Cheers Tom

I'd really try to visit a dealer who will let you bring in some source material for playback on a similar system to your own on 2 different DACs.

or friends or an audio club...

That is the plan.

I would consider stretching to the Playback Designs Merlot (if you are serious about getting an integrated amp with a volume control, the Merlot does not have volume control). I am really excited that Andreas has kept the price point of the Merlot somewhat reasonable.

If you must have volume control onboard the DAC, I would consider a used PS Audio DS, a great DAC, and like the Merlot this DAC has software upgrade capability. I do not like the DS Junior much though, and one can get a used DS for a good price.

Have heard the DS and liked it. I do have a bit of an issue with the dealer here, which makes me less likely to want to buy it. But that won't be a deal breaker on its own.

I've also heard the Hegel HD30, which I liked more, to tell you the truth. Less expensive than the DS, but not upgradeable. Am also planning on listening to a couple of Lampizator models, and the Simaudio 380 D DSD in the near future.

Am going to hear the Merlot Friday morning. At a dealer who demonstrates in his home. So at least the environment will be somewhat similar to mine. That DAC is definitely more money than I want to spend, but the upgradability is a tempting feature.

Do you have any idea how upgradeable the Merlot is? For example could it be made to playback DSD 512 at some point, or have MQA playback added to it? I'm not really interested in either one of those that much, just curious just what "upgradeable" through FPGA means.

Firedog,

My strategic approach to your question would be:

A) Listing the characteristics that you miss with you current DAC.

B) Ensure that there are no other solutions in your chain to alter them into the result you are looking for. (you may jump to G now)

C) if it is then about DAC performanc only, i may think about format differences, analog output stages and specific power supply , which may better or differentiate the sound. Are there tweaks to your current DAC which are promising changes in the direction you want?

D) If DSD is your favourite, think about upsampling outside the DAC with HQ player vs in-Dac upsampling. ls it an option?

E)I have read often, that you can't better the 192/24 high res audio files. But there is, imho, a lack of native recording too. Nonetheless, i feel, deciding on format helps to focus within the multitude of options. (eg. Iggy vs T&A 8 DSD)

F) Answer for yourself the question if you can be happy with a serious good non-upgradable solution.

G) I have noticed that you consider various elements of the chain to be changeable. I would think it may help to change the upper end, amp/pre or integrated first, and review the performance of your current dac with that change. If you feel it still lacks the same qualities as before, you have a serious reason to change it ;-) Back to C ...

In my imagination and according to plan you may have now found a number of dacs you consider to be a worthwhile upgrade to your system. Hhm, from here its personal taste rather than systematic approach, i would guess.

Pls. Forgive if some expression are not as straight to the point as with native speakers.

I value your insightful and sometimes pointed contributions to this site. I'd guess you did think systematically through your decision process, and you were looking for a kind affirmation. I am happy if my thoughts may support your analysis.

Cheers Tom

Thanks for the reply.

I've pretty much upgraded the source side to the max that I plan to. I'm already using Power conditioner/upgraded power supplies on everything. I have a mRendu powered by an LPS-1/connected to a CAPS IV (Sonore PS) over ethernet, and separate components for the network-routing side.

So, I'm pretty sure the diminishing return curve will kick in heavily if trying to get any further improvement, and I don't have plans to buy some $15k source for CA, which is sort of where I think I'd need to go to to get any significant improvement - and I'm not 100% convinced it would be any better (although it might look nicer and involve less cabling).

Presently I listen to everything upsampled to DSD with HQP, I think part of the reason for this is that my DAC sounds better that way. I'm not stuck on doing that in the future, but I actually have about 100 albums in DSD, so would prefer something that plays back DSD. If I found the best sounding DAC in my search only played back PCM, I'd consider using HQP to convert everything to PCM.

I have quite a good amp. Don't have to change it. For various reasons, I prefer to keep the number of boxes low. So I'll consider changing the amp too, depending on the DAC I get.

In the end, I have enough cash saved up to get something pretty pricey.I'm just trying to decide if that's a mistake on sort of the conceptual level. I'm still in the process of auditioning, and it will take me a whie to get through the list of items I decided to hear. I'm not going to buy a $5k or more DAC and replace it. If I do that it will have to stay long term. That's why I'm thinking in terms of something with upgradeability built in.

My guess is that after I finish auditioning a few more items I'll probably just go with my gut about whatever one seems to sound best to me. If that happens to be one on the lower end of my scale, I could consider replacing it sometime in the future.

Forgive me for the slight OT: you mention about running a Chord MoJo as a compromise....

It probably would not be in my case, in the sense I own it already.

Do you think the Chord MoJo digital volume control is good enough to run it directly into a power amp?

Could you point me to anywhere this might have already been discussed!

Thanks

Have you considered the AMR DP-777 SE. Tubed output, analogue pre amp and their policy to date has been to provide an upgrade option. Two dacs on board for Red Book and high res. Doesn't do DSD, but may be upgradable in the future. I'm streaming all my listening from Qobuz at present so the absence of DSD doesn't bother me, but AMR DP-777 SE has much innovative thoughtful design on board. It also seems they don't introduce changes to their designs unles they are definitely meaningful in the context of sound reproduction.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Have you considered the AMR DP-777 SE. Tubed output, analogue pre amp and their policy to date has been to provide an upgrade option. Two dacs on board for Red Book and high res. Doesn't do DSD, but may be upgradable in the future. I'm streaming all my listening from Qobuz at present so the absence of DSD doesn't bother me, but AMR DP-777 SE has much innovative thoughtful design on board. It also seems they don't introduce changes to their designs unles they are definitely meaningful in the context of sound reproduction.

Have considered it. On paper sounds like a really good DAC. I'm a bit put off by some reports of users that have had problems with it. Seems like I've run in to more of those that is normal for such an item.

However, the same dealer here that sells the Simaudio 380D DSD also sells the AMR, so highly likely I will give it a listen when I arrange a visit with him.

Do you think the Chord MoJo digital volume control is good enough to run it directly into a power amp?

Mojo definitely puts out enough voltage and current to drive most power amps. Digital volume control within most DACs are great because they generally have enough bit depth to not lose resolution. The bigger issue is whether the DAC has a low enough noise floor and sufficiently good low-level linearity for digital volume control. Chord DACs are generally the best for the latter, followed by DAC chips, followed by DSD/R2R DACs but of course implementation matters.

The compromise/hassle I refer to is that Chord Mojo/Hugo don't have galvanic isolation and most USB sources are fairly noisy so Mojo/Hugo sounds best with cellphones/tablets while most homes use desktop/laptops driving their USB DACs so Mojo/Hugo would underperform unless you're careful with your USB source or switch to Toslink. And then people debate whether constantly keeping the Mojo/Hugo charging would affect sound quality. And we worry about when we need to replace the battery. And then with Mojo, it's the nuisance of finding a 3.5mm cable into stereo RCA. Chord Mojo is superbly transparent. While you may or may not like its sound going direct into amp, you should definitely try it out for a few hours if you already own it. I personally love it so if I can't afford any other DAC, I would happily live with my Mojo driving a power amp.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Have considered it. On paper sounds like a really good DAC. I'm a bit put off by some reports of users that have had problems with it. Seems like I've run in to more of those that is normal for such an item.

However, the same dealer here that sells the Simaudio 380D DSD also sells the AMR, so highly likely I will give it a listen when I arrange a visit with him.

I wouldn't let the few reports of issues deter you from giving it a listen. The issue reported seemed to be confined to a part associated with the pre amp and in those units affected, made itself known very soon. That issue was identified and rectified. Otherwise I have not heard of other issues. The main thing is that AMR are not surpassed in terms of their service attitude and response times.

I was one of the early adopters and have not had any issue. That said I use the pre amp in my AMR AM-777 amplifier, and know that if I use the pre in the dac in future I will be covered in the event I was unlucky. Prior to the SE version I had the original DP-777 for several years and had no problem. The AM-777 amplifier was purchased with the original dac and again has been totally reliable.

I am now considering upgrading the amplifier to the just becoming available AM-777 SE version. As a pensioner you can rest assured I would not be investing further in the brand if I had any concerns.

I also have the AMR related iFi Retro and other ancillary iFi gear, as detailed in my signature, again without a single issue.

Do ensure the DP-777 SE you listen to is well run in. Best of luck with your deliberations :)

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

You can certainly consider this OT if you would like, but I would hesitate to spend serious money on a DAC these days. With A+ or HQP offering much of the performance of expensive DACs without high hardware costs, I personally don't think it's worth it.

The next DAC I'm particularly interested in seeing is Miska's DSC-2 whenever he's able to get around to it. There are probably sources to have that built, if you're not up for DIY, that would be well below $2000.

Or you could look at something that will do a nice job being fed by oversampling software, like the T+A for $4000, the iDSD Pro for $1000, or even the revised micro-iDSD for $500.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.