IGNORED

The Greatest Guitarist of All Time.

Jimi Page has been mentioned. Many consider parts pf Page's soloing style as sloppy. Slash (GN'R) plays like this too. Don't get me wrong, I like both guitarist but I get what there saying when I listen and play there solos. You can hear it when they play a chunky or quick stop/start solo that doesn't contain that fluidity you would expect to hear. There's nothing wrong with this style, it's a choice when they decided to record there solos. Both guitarists have plenty of classic solos and contain that fluidity and mastery of the guitar one would expect to hear from professionals.

By comparison Eric Clapton tries to make sure all his solos contain a beginning, a middle and an end. He's said in the past, that your solos should take the listener to another level. They should be song within the song. I feel Eric's solos are mostly smooth and linear. Not to say that his early years had some choppiness to them.

I like all guitarist, so what ever there playing style is, I think that's what makes them unique or stand out.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

By comparison Eric Clapton tries to make sure all his solos contain a beginning, a middle and an end. .

As for guitarists telling stories with their guitars my favorite one is probably Stevie Ray Vaughan. His guitar solos have dramaturgy that can be almost likened to a good movie script. There is also some effortless fluidity in his playing that I personally enjoy very much - his solos seem to develop so naturally and yes effortlessly I think would be the best word - he doesn't seem to create them in a forceful way. I also enjoy the fact that they are different each time he plays them live. I don't mind hearing Hendrix in almost every note he plays..
As for guitarists telling stories with their guitars my favorite one is probably Stevie Ray Vaughan. His guitar solos have dramaturgy that can be almost likened to a good movie script. There is also some effortless fluidity in his playing that I personally enjoy very much - his solos seem to develop so naturally and yes effortlessly I think would be the best word - he doesn't seem to create them in a forceful way. I also enjoy the fact that they are different each time he plays them live.

I agree. Eric Clapton was asked in the late 80's who's the greatest living Blues guitarist. He replied, Stevie Ray Vaughan. Unfortunately his life was cut way too short.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

my son 36yo and ncaa d3 golf all american who grew up with and was a PHISH head from the beginning says all the above are 'one trick ponies' compared to Trey Anastasio(he would listen between holes on teebox and on the green on his headphones even during the d3 ncaa team championship!!- maybe that explains why his team finished 29th out of thirty teams!)

I personally agree with all lists above but think maybe Jerry and his assorted playmates plus Eric

I love all of them all the time so it all depends on which color jelly beans you like

love all these kind of 'lists'

bobbmd

I feel Eric's solos are mostly smooth and linear. Not to say that his early years had some choppiness to them.

My favorite is early Clapton, specifically his playing on Blues Breakers John Mayall With Eric Clapton.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

he would listen between holes on teebox and on the green on his headphones even during the d3 ncaa team championship!!- maybe that explains why his team finished 29th out of thirty teams!)

bobbmd

That's hilarious.

Of course like you stated, all just opinion. Whoever you like, you'll tend to defend. There's plenty of metal guitarist I'd like to add but there not the greatest. I love Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins, he's a prodigy but again not the greatest. There have been several names mentioned here I've never heard of before, mostly due to genres I don't follow. So it's been fun to research and listen.

• 1 month later...

Slightly off topic - Guthrie Govan won't make it to my top ten but since he's a real virtuoso player and not so popular one I'll post his two pieces here..

Playing fretless guitar.

"Wonderful Slippery Thing" jam (check out his slapping technique at the begining of the track!).

BTW folks, John McLaughlin's US tour dates are announced and tix are on sale. He has stated that this will likely be his final North American Tour (he turns 75 this year).

I got my seats for the Clearwater FL date...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

BTW folks, John McLaughlin's US tour dates are announced and tix are on sale. He has stated that this will likely be his final North American Tour (he turns 75 this year).

I got my seats for the Clearwater FL date...

Well, well worth seeing. Completely amazing. The time I saw him he opened for Miles Davis, so I had my mind blown twice.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

There is no greatest single guitarist. It depends on genre for starters, but even then all the greats have their unique qualities.

Having said that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned either Allan Holdsworth or Shawn Lane. Both worth checking out for sure, albeit it's not the most accessible music (esp. Holdsworth).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, alfamatt said:

I seem to remember reading that someone once asked Clapton what it's like to be the best guitarist in the world & his reply was " I don't know...Ask Prince"

I absolutely remember that as well.  True dat!

... even if you didn't care for Prince's music or style... that guy was a flat-out GREAT musician.

Incredibly talented.

I just saw the best rock concert I have ever seen, by far.  My experience in seeing rock shows goes back to my first concert, Emerson, Lake & Palmer in 1977, and I have seen 100s of shows since then.  But the current version of King Crimson is in another league from anything I have ever seen before (including other King Crimson lineups going back to  1983).  This band includes Robert Fripp, who needs to be in any discussion of the "best" rock guitarists, especially for those who value virtuosity, innovation, and musical aspiration of the absolute highest level.

Anyone in this discussion should buy tickets, and book a flight to wherever you have to go to see the current KC lineup; your life will be changed forever by the experiences and your concept of what is possible from Rock Music will be forever changed.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, barrows said:

I just saw the best rock concert I have ever seen, by far.  My experience in seeing rock shows goes back to my first concert, Emerson, Lake & Palmer in 1977, and I have seen 100s of shows since then.  But the current version of King Crimson is in another league from anything I have ever seen before (including other King Crimson lineups going back to  1983).  This band includes Robert Fripp, who needs to be in any discussion of the "best" rock guitarists, especially for those who value virtuosity, innovation, and musical aspiration of the absolute highest level.

Anyone in this discussion should buy tickets, and book a flight to wherever you have to go to see the current KC lineup; your life will be changed forever by the experiences and your concept of what is possible from Rock Music will be forever changed.

It is quite interesting. For me King Crimson pretty much finished with their Red album, 1975, if I am not mistaken. Yes,since that times Fripp still played guitar, as any machined device would, no soul involved, brain twisted.

10 hours ago, barrows said:

I would also recommend the recently released "Live In Toronto" King Crimson cd. Ming boggling musicianship and performance.

JC

23 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

It is quite interesting. For me King Crimson pretty much finished with their Red album, 1975, if I am not mistaken. Yes,since that times Fripp still played guitar, as any machined device would, no soul involved, brain twisted.

Respectfully, if you have not seen KC perform music live since RED, you have no valid opinion; this band has always been more about live performance than any kind of recorded work.  To be sure the current lineup plays a lot of music from RED and before...

SONORE computer audio

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2017 at 10:19 PM, barrows said:

Respectfully, if you have not seen KC perform music live since RED, you have no valid opinion; this band has always been more about live performance than any kind of recorded work.  To be sure the current lineup plays a lot of music from RED and before...

I pass valid opinions on you, if you do not mind.