IGNORED

The Greatest Guitarist of All Time.

I'd like to start off with Charlie Patton, father of Delta Blues: Charley Patton | Biography & History | AllMusic

... His guitar playing was no less impressive, fueled with a propulsive beat and a keen rhythmic sense that would later plant seeds in the boogie style of John Lee Hooker. Patton is generally regarded as one of the original architects of putting blues into a strong, syncopated rhythm, and his strident tone was achieved by tuning his guitar up a step and a half above standard pitch instead of using a capo. His compositional skills on the instrument are illustrated by his penchant for finding and utilizing several different themes as background accompaniment in a single song. His slide work -- either played in his lap like a Hawaiian guitar and fretted with a pocket knife, or in the more conventional manner with a brass pipe for a bottleneck -- was no less inspiring, finishing vocal phrases for him and influencing contemporaries like Son House and up-and-coming youngsters like Robert Johnson. He also popped his bass strings (a technique he developed some 40 years before funk bass players started doing the same thing), beat his guitar like a drum, and stomped his feet to reinforce certain beats or to create counter rhythms, all of which can be heard on various recordings. Rhythm and excitement were the bywords of his style...

81bjVvihC7L._SL1421_.jpg

This will sound familiar:

It's quite a tradition, isn't it? Makes me think of Son House as well and the distinctive way he played:

Robert Johnson combined a couple of Son House songs and played them his way in a song called Walking Blues:

I think Robert Johnson would be on my list.

Then Muddy Waters takes Johnson's Walking Blues and does it brilliantly his way:

You can also listen to players like Eric Clapton and Rory Gallagher cover this song.

Muddy Waters would definitely be on my list not just as singer and artist but as guitar player. He was great!

The Rolling Stone "100 Greatest Guitarists" list places Robert Johnson at 71 and Muddy Waters at 49. Here's the list: 100 Greatest Guitarists | Rolling Stone

Other great African-American blues guitarists that make the list include:

T-Bone Walker (67)

Albert Collins (56)

Otis Rush (53)

Hubert Sumlin (played a lot with Howlin' Wolf, Muddy, and others, 43)

John Lee Hooker (35)

Elmore James (30)

Buddy Guy (23)

Freddie King (15)

Albert King (13)

B.B. King (6)

Odd omission, imo: Lightnin' Hopkins

Jimi Hendrix

Prince

Chuck Berry (maybe not greatest, but influential)

Buddy Guy

Van Halen (not my taste)

Eric Clapton

SRV

I think we agree on some points.

I'd like to extend my list:

6. Chuck Berry. A very influential figure, I agree.

7. Eddie Van Halen. Not my taste either but... Do I have to explain.?

I prefer guitarists that actually make music. There are guitarist that are technically great but utterly boring. Guitarists like Buckethead. Fretboard wankery does not make you a good guitar player.

To me the best are

James Hetfield, he has shown you do not need lead guitarist to be a great guitarist. Best rhythm guitarist there is.

Tonny Iommi, the grandfather of heavy metal. One of the most influential guitarists of modern times

David Gilmour, a to me unique style of playing. One of his best skills are his solo’s. Many if not most solo’s do not compliment the music. His are part of the music and not just ego tripping show of.

Jeff Hanneman, THE modern heavy metal guitarist. Influenced by the oldies but creating one of the most recognizable guitar sounds in metal.

Daniel Cavanagh, Not sure how good he is on a technical side. But IMHO there is no one that can put so much emotion in his guitar sound. If you listen to Flying by Anathema the guitar just conveys the emotion of the song better than I’ve heard by anyone.

Honorable mention

Randy Roads he showed so much promise but sadly died young. Ozzy has a great skill in finding good guitarists.

I'm sure I forgot some others.

[br]

Blackmore

Hendrix

Clapton

Page

Fripp

Though not in these genres, Michael Hedges is another personal favorite

Add:

Steve Stevens

Malmsteen

Prince

Jeff Beck

Peter Frampton

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Of the above, Robert Johnson.

Folks should also have a look at the late, great Michael Hedges.

Consider this new sacd:

https://www.amazon.com/Aerial-Boundaries-Michael-Hedges/dp/B010FP0V08

And if you don't know this guy, this sums it up:

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Consider this new sacd:

https://www.amazon.com/Aerial-Boundaries-Michael-Hedges/dp/B010FP0V08

And if you don't know this guy, this sums it up:

I bought the SACD, even though I already had the CD and vinyl. Excellent.

More from our (very unfortunately late) friend:

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I bought the SACD, even though I already had the CD and vinyl. Excellent.

More from our (very unfortunately late) friend:

IMHO, Michael Hedges "Taproot" is a Must for every musician and audiophile. It's instrumental until the last song. One of my personal all-time favorites.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Zappa died this day 23 years ago. He wouldn't make any guitar top list, not only because he was out of the stream, but criticized, mocked and jested all and everything. But he was truly unique, one and only musician.
I'm so glad you've mentioned the name of this very original and intelligent musician and guitarist. Well..he could still make my guitar top 10 list - as I've listed 7 guitarists only - for his original, easily recognizable style and for being brave enough to issue 2 double CDs (triple LPs) with just his guitar solos!

Blackmore

Hendrix

Clapton

Page

Fripp

Though not in these genres, Michael Hedges is another personal favorite

Finally someone is willing to mention Robert Fripp, probably the single most innovative rock guitarist of all time (I think Jimi H's career was too short to really count, but acknowledge that we will never know what could have been). Most of what Robert Fripp does is so far outside the mainstream of rock guitar playing that few can even fathom it.

After all, it is not all about scales and blues, is it? Glad to see Johnny Mac mentioned here as well, as his seminal work with his band Mahavishnu Orchestra is sort of rock, but I would put most of his work/playing outside of the "rock" genre. Still, he can ROCK with the best of them when he feels like it.

I really think Vernon Reid should be in this conversation as well, check out any of his work with Living Colour. I have seen him live a bit, and he plays faster AND cleaner than most mentioned here.

Clapton, really? Of all time... way overrated in my experience. If we include folks like Blackmore, then Tommy Bolin needs a mention as well (there is that short carreer again though, such a shame).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Finally someone is willing to mention Robert Fripp, probably the single most innovative rock guitarist of all time (I think Jimi H's career was too short to really count, but acknowledge that we will never know what could have been). Most of what Robert Fripp does is so far outside the mainstream of rock guitar playing that few can even fathom it.

After all, it is not all about scales and blues, is it? Glad to see Johnny Mac mentioned here as well, as his seminal work with his band Mahavishnu Orchestra is sort of rock, but I would put most of his work/playing outside of the "rock" genre. Still, he can ROCK with the best of them when he feels like it.

I really think Vernon Reid should be in this conversation as well, check out any of his work with Living Colour. I have seen him live a bit, and he plays faster AND cleaner than most mentioned here.

Clapton, really? Of all time... way overrated in my experience. If we include folks like Blackmore, then Tommy Bolin needs a mention as well (there is that short carreer again though, such a shame).

Fripp +1. Tons of invention since the times of the early King Crimson albums. As for Hendrix IMO his career wasn't 'too short to really count'!

V.Reid - absulutely great! I've seen him live (even shook his hand and had a short conversation with him once!) and IMO Living Colour is even better live than in a studio.

E.Clapton - overrated in my personal opinion too.

Fripp +1. Tons of invention since the times of the early King Crimson albums. As for Hendrix IMO his career wasn't 'too short to really count'!

V.Reid - absulutely great! I've seen him live (even shook his hand and had a short conversation with him once!) and IMO Living Colour is even better live than in a studio.

To be a bit more clear, I do not mean Jimi H does not merit a place on this list/discussion, I just mean to say that perhaps he is not the most innovative rock guitarist of all time (although maybe he would have been had he lived beyond his "early period").

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

To be a bit more clear, I do not mean Jimi H does not merit a place on this list/discussion, I just mean to say that perhaps he is not the most innovative rock guitarist of all time (although maybe he would have been had he lived beyond his "early period").

I beg to differ on Jimi Hendrix on two counts. First your statement that he was not the most innovatice rock guitarist of all time. And second, your statement that his career was too short to count.

Maybe you're not familiar with Hendrix's full discography, but Hendrix was a pioneer who broke new ground in a large scale way unlike any guitarist then or now.

From his early breakthrough pieces such as Purple Haze and Wild Thing, through his middle work with such incredible innovative pieces such All Along the Watchtower, The Wind Cries Mary, Hey Joe, My Friend and Voodo Chile, through his posthumously published work featuring multi-layered guitars and very forward thinking pieces such as Freedom, Night Bird Flying, My Friend, Ezy Rider, not to mention his unforgettable live concert performances including his enthralling and iconic performances at Woodstock and Monterrey Post Festival, Hendrix was a tour de force guitarist - a guitarist's guitarist.

His style encompassed, mastered and lay new paths for the guitar from blues, to ballads, to hard hitting rock, and even jazz-like improvisational multi-layered guitar works in a unparalleled blend of skill and soulful expression.

He pioneered the use of feedback, distortion and guitar effects, and made them an integral and melodic part of his music unlike any other guitarist. And in many ways, he was the first guitarist who combined rhythm and lead guitar in one fluid and melodic style.

His style and innovative technique have influenced numerous stellar guitarist and his influence can still be heard to this day.

Rolling Stone ranked him as the greatest guitarist of all time and the sixth greatest artist of all time.

His short lived career is a testament to his genius and the very reason he should be as highly regarded as he is; and not, quite the contrary as you suggest, a reason to not consider his impact as influential. We can only begin to imagine what his musical mastery and genius would be producing today if he hadn't passed at the such young age of 27 in 1970.

Hendrix without a doubt was the most innovative, soulful and skillful guitarist ever, especially and precisely when you consider the incredibly short time frame of basically four years (1967-70) in which he did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I've been steering clear of this thread, but when you mentioned Vernon Reid, I took note. I'll bet a lot of folks don't know who he is. I saw a concert at a little supper club in Garwood, NJ, near where I live. The town is so small, that if you blink as you drive through, you'll miss it. But, there is a small venue there, and the owner knows a lot of people in the music biz. So, the show was Noel Redding and Vernon Reid with a drummer.

There's about 100 people in this tiny place with an eight foot ceiling, and they're up there with 100w Marshall amps cranked up to 11 playing Hendrix stuff I was sitting right up front, and felt like the guy in the old Maxell ad. I had tinnitus for days afterwards.

images_maninchair.jpg

Unfortunately, Noel Redding passed away. But, if you can, read his book, "Are You Experienced - The Inside Story of the Jimi Hendrix Experience", by Noel Redding & Carol Appleby. It's a great book.